NRA Shotgun Instructor from ScouterRick

I'm hoping to take the rifle and pistol instructor training within the next few months.
but I must admit, I'm a bit worried about the Basic Instructor Training Exam. I've been involved with firearms since I was around 8 years old, my father raised me to respect the weapons and I'm teaching my children the same.
What was the exam like? Am I worried about it for nothing? I have many Computer Security certifications, and all those required exams that were quite lengthy.
I guess it's the 90% that might be concerning me... Maybe more of embarrassing myself by getting a couple questions wrong...

Mike B

For starters, the Basic Training Instruction class and the associated exam have very little to do with firearms specifically. They're concerned with the NRA's policies and regulations for their training programs and about the fundamentals of training people. I've trained over a hundred people as NRA certified instructors, and not a single one has ever failed the Basic Instructor Exam. Most of the questions that people get wrong involve over-thinking a T/F question (e.g., exactly how literally do I take the qualification "never" or "always"?) or not reading a question carefully (e.g., overlooking a "not", or naming 2 of the 5 items on list A when the question asked for 2 of the 8 items on list B). My advice is to relax and just do it. It sounds as if you've already worried about the course and the exam more than could possibly be justified.

Ken

For starters, the Basic Training Instruction class and the associated exam have very little to do with firearms specifically. They're concerned with the NRA's policies and regulations for their training programs and about the fundamentals of training people. I've trained over a hundred people as NRA certified instructors, and not a single one has ever failed the Basic Instructor Exam. Most of the questions that people get wrong involve over-thinking a T/F question (e.g., exactly how literally do I take the qualification "never" or "always"?) or not reading a question carefully (e.g., overlooking a "not", or naming 2 of the 5 items on list A when the question asked for 2 of the 8 items on list B). My advice is to relax and just do it. It sounds as if you've already worried about the course and the exam more than could possibly be justified.

Ken

As a recent KMaurer student, I say "go for it." The tests are pretty easy and are "common sense" for the most part. My only beef is with the poor wording of some of the questions. (For example, "always" is not "always" if there's an exception to the rule.[frown])

al⋅ways  [awl-weyz, -weez]
–adverb
1. every time; on every occasion; without exception: He always works on Saturday.
[wink]

Last edited:
ahh, yah I figured I was over thinking and concerned over not so much. It wasn't going to keep me from taking the training and becoming an instructor though ;-)
I'm sure I'll do fine I'll just pay closer attention to that "always" wording.

thanks for the feedback!
Mike B

Back
Top Bottom