NRA Personal Protection Inside the Home - Sunday March 24, 2013 (Mansfield MA)

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
NRA Personal Protection Inside the Home - Sunday
March 24, 2013
8:00AM, 10 hour class, Cost $160.00. You can register on-line at http://home.comcast.net/~safety-instructor

Short Description: Teaches the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude essential to the safe and efficient use of a handgun for protection of self and family, and to provide information on the law-abiding individual’s right to self-defense. This class is for experienced shooters and is not a Basic Safety Class for purposes of applying for a Mass. LTC or FID.

More Details: This is an ten-hour course. Students should expect to shoot approximately 100 rounds of ammunition. Students will learn basic defensive shooting skills, strategies for home safety and responding to a violent confrontation, firearms and the law, how to choose a handgun for self-defense, and continued opportunities for skill development.

This is not a “beginner’s class” for new shooters. You should have some prior pistol shooting experience. It is much more than just a routine shooting course. It is important that participants have sufficient maturity and life experiences to be able to assess various situations and make mature decisions.

Equipment Required for course:

• Revolver or Semi-auto pistol - .38Spl/.380/9mm minimum caliber
  • Appropriate holster (no pocket or shoulder holsters allowed) – IWB or OWB only
  • 2 magazines/speedstrips/speed-loaders (should have 3 minimum if possible)
  • 100 rds minimum (recommend 150-200)
  • Eye and Ear protection

You can register on-line at http://home.comcast.net/~safety-instructor (use the Contact webpage)

A minimum deposit of $20 per person is required. NOTE: If you pay in full and payment is received by Saturday, March 9, 2013, please take a $10.00 discount (therefore cost would be $150.00).

PPIH addresses the following:

What do I do when the police shows up?
What do I do with the gun?
When do you talk to the police?
When do you talk with a lawyer?
Are you prepared for the aftermath of a self-defense event?

The NRA Basic Personal Protection in the Home Course exposes students to several schools of thought regarding defensive shooting techniques. It is designed to enhance basic skills: Reloading, Emphasis on technique – “Slow is smooth and smooth is fast” – students should only go as fast as they can smoothly execute a skill, Defensive accuracy – balance between speed and accuracy. Students shoot as fast as they can while still hitting the target every time. Intro to Defensive Shooting, Basic Defensive Pistol Skills, Firearms and the Law: Possession, Ownership and the Use of Deadly Force, Strategies for Home Safety and Responding to a Violent Confrontation, Selecting a Pistol for Self-Defense.

NOTE: I do not know if this course will influence your chief to issue an unrestricted LTC-A, but more education and understanding of the responsibilities of gun ownership will never hurt your case.

If you are interested but not sure if you qualify, please send a PM or Email to me with info on your prior experience, include your phone number in case I need to talk with you and I will get back to you.​

There are still seats available, but getting close to the time I have to order materials from NRA for the students, so if you are interested now is the time to Email me.

Len, do you cover additional topics outside the standard NRA course? I'm trying to rationalize the price difference from the typical $125 for this course seen around the nation.

Len, do you cover additional topics outside the standard NRA course? I'm trying to rationalize the price difference from the typical $125 for this course seen around the nation.

NRA calls this an 8 hour course. My PPIH takes ~10 hours (classroom/range time), PLUS I have my students do about 1-2 hours pre-work (so we don't run a 12 hour class). The law portion (per NRA) is a 50 minute segment, depending on questions/student interaction this typically takes 1.5+ hours in my class. I'm a subject matter expert on MA gun laws, so this is the area of passion for me. [NRA demands that this be taught by a LEO or attorney knowledgeable of that state's gun laws and it can't be taught by an "NRA Instructor" unless they also hold those credentials. So many Instructors have to pay a gun law knowledgeable LEO/attorney (and we know that there are damn few of them in MA) to give this presentation.]

MA is not the "rest of the nation". I suspect many courses elsewhere are run as part of the business of a gunshop/range (WA and FL - places I've been) as they don't have private gun clubs but ranges are oftentimes built as part of a gun shop. Here in MA, we have to pay to use a classroom and pay separately to use a range (and many gun clubs forbid trainers from using their facilities) and this is a per-person (or high flat rate) charge that must be accounted for. If these courses are given by staff employees at a gun shop/range the overhead is already covered and course cost may be less.

If you are interested, you need to act quickly as I'll be ordering student materials at the end of this week and need deposits in hand to reserve seats.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply, Len; all very good points. If I can clear it with the social coordinator I will register before Thu.

Hi Len,

Can you send me the address, time starting and if the range is indoors or outdoors.

Thanks looking forward to the class

Rick

You need to send me an Email (off username or from website in sig line) and I'll send you more info. I can't manage tracking people/courses thru PMs.

Thanks.

I tried sending this message from your website. But, the security code (tried about 10 times!) wouldn't go through.

"My husband and I are very interested in attending.
But, I broke my non dominate upper arm 2 months ago. I am just now able to get a little mobility. Will definitely not have full use before the end of March. Not sure how physical this class will be. Will this be an issue during this class?"

Haven, send me an Email (NOT PM) off my username and include a phone number. I'd have to talk with you to understand whether this will be an issue or not.

The law portion of this class is almost certainly to be a cut above what you get in most other NRA classes offered in MA (although there are a few other instructors out there who also do an excellent job of it, most don't dig quite as deep as Len does).

Back
Top Bottom