NRA Instructor Certification obtained in CT okay in MA?

I'm a Massachusetts resident. If I obtain my NRA Basic Instructor Training and Pistol Shooting Instructor certifications through a course taught in Connecticut, will there be any problem teaching basic firearm safety courses in Massachusetts?

Teaching, I don't think so. All I needed to get MA Instructor certification was my NRA Instructor credentials and an agreement to teach the laws in MA.

However, if you don't have your MA LTC, a Basic Pistol class taken in CT may not (or will probably not) satisfy your Police Chief when it comes to getting your MA LTC, as that course didn't teach you MA laws...

All I needed to get MA Instructor certification was my NRA Instructor credentials and an agreement to teach the laws in MA.
You also needed $50 and a current MA LTC :)

However, if you don't have your MA LTC, a Basic Pistol class taken in CT may not (or will probably not) satisfy your Police Chief when it comes to getting your MA LTC, as that course didn't teach you MA laws

The course must be MA certified and taught my a MA certified instructor. An NRA certificate without the MA certificate does not count for MA licensing.

I'm a Massachusetts resident. If I obtain my NRA Basic Instructor Training and Pistol Shooting Instructor certifications through a course taught in Connecticut, will there be any problem teaching basic firearm safety courses in Massachusetts?

If you want the courses to count for licensing, you will have to obtain MA instructor certification and have a MA LTC. A copy of your NRA instructor cert; your MA LTC and a $50 check will get you such a certification valid for 10 years. (But, according to an update the MSP sent to instructors, the certification is only valid while you continue to hold a MA LTC).

There is little need, or demand, for MA basic courses that do not offer the state certificate, so I would apply for the state certification as soon as you get your NRA paperwork. Also, the NRA instructor certificate and card does not bear any notation indicating where you took your certification training.

Sorry, I should have clarified from the outset that I both live in MA and currently hold a Class A MA LTC. I just happen to be planning to be in CT in December and will have an opportunity to take a 2-day NRA Instructor course there (in CT) that offers both the BIT and Pistol Shooting Instructor components. So, I just want to be sure that if I take (and successfully complete) this dual course, I will then be able to teach an NRA Basic Firearms Safety course in MA.

Also, Rob Wrote: "There is little need, or demand, for MA basic courses that do not offer the state certificate.." Rob, please clarify this in the context of MYclarification in the paragraph above.

Also, Rob Wrote: "There is little need, or demand, for MA basic courses that do not offer the state certificate.." Rob, please clarify this in the context of MYclarification in the paragraph above.

OK, here goes:

1. MA requires a MA STATE CERTIFIED course certificate as part of an FID or LTC application. Such a certificate may only be ssued by a MA certified instructor. An NRA course taught by someone without MA certification does NOT meet the requirement of training to obtain an FID or LTC, hence, there is little demand for NRA basic classes offered by NRA instructors who do not also hold a State of MA certification.

2. You will be able to offer a course with state certification ONLY after you have obtained a MA instructor certification.

3. The course you are thinking of taking in CT is an excellent part A of a two part plan. Part B is to send in the NRA certification you earn from the course in CT into the MSP firearms unit with a $50 check to obtain state of MA instructor certification. There is no additional training or test to get the MA certification - you send in the paperwork, they send you certification.

At that point, you will be able to teach courses in MA and your students will be able to use the certificate you issue to meet the FID or LTC training requirement.

As an aside, if you take the course in CT, you are "on you own" in terms of learning about MGL. The GOAL (www.goal.org) seminar for instructors would be an excellent way to get this info. No offense intended, but the fact that you asked the question you did indicates that you need to learn a bit more about MA gun law before you start teaching the basic course to MA residents who will be applying for an FID or LTC.

Rob: Thanks for the comprehensive and reassuring clarification. BTW, when you advise also taking the MA GOAL "seminar for instructors" please confirm that you are referring to the following:

BFS Primer Course for State Certified Firearm Instructors
The GOAL Foundation often receives inquiries from both new and seasoned firearm instructors about refresher courses. Our BFS Primer course is definitely part of a well rounded "refresher". As instructors certified by the Commonwealth, as well as the NRA, we are required to convey sections of Massachusetts law (Chapter 140 § 131P).

Thanks again.

BTW, when you advise also taking the MA GOAL "seminar for instructors" please confirm that you are referring to the following:

BFS Primer Course for State Certified Firearm Instructors
The GOAL Foundation often receives inquiries from both new and seasoned firearm instructors about refresher courses. Our BFS Primer course is definitely part of a well rounded "refresher". As instructors certified by the Commonwealth, as well as the NRA, we are required to convey sections of Massachusetts law (Chapter 140 § 131P).
That's it.

NRA Basic Instructor Training and Pistol Shooting Instructor certifications

Does anyone know of an NRA Counselor who gives the NRA Basic Instructor Training and Pistol Shooting Instructor certifications? I am looking to take the course either March-April or June 2012.

Does anyone know of an NRA Counselor who gives the NRA Basic Instructor Training and Pistol Shooting Instructor certifications? I am looking to take the course either March-April or June 2012.

http://www.thegoalfoundation.org/courseschedule.html

Instructor Course NRA Basic Pistol & Home Firearm Safety

December 2-4 2011 *FULL*

February 17-19

March 2-4

September 21-23

November 30 - December 2

Members $295.00

Non-Members $450.00 (Note: membership is $30, and not limited to MA residents)

Back
Top Bottom