• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

North Shore Hunters

I just bought my MA non-res small game and duck stamp this AM...

Not sure about the North Shore. You looking for a partner?

I just bought my MA non-res small game and duck stamp this AM...

Not sure about the North Shore. You looking for a partner?

That I am. I haven't hunted in MA since I moved here. I don't have time to travel to ME this year, so I purchased my MA license today.

If you know of any good duck spots I just bought two dozen decoys.

I would like to hunt pheasant too, but the WMA's are pretty packed with pheasant hunters.

Would you be interested in going to Northern NH for grouse? The population is supposed to be pretty good.

I'd consider it. Time is not my friend this year. The major reasons I wouldn't jump at it are: time, $100 non-resident license fee, and I really haven't worked Maggie with grouse. I should, though.

I hunt pheasants on the North Shore a LOT. The WMA's are not nearly as bad as they used to be, especially if you can get out during the week or afternoons on saturdays.

One thing though,,,,ticks are EVERYWHERE. Pooch needs a Lyme vaccine and Frontline or they WILL get Lyme. You need to do a very careful inspection when you get home too, or you too WILL get Lyme. It's really disgusting. There never were anywhere the number of ticks years ago.

Also, a NH small game license w/ pheasant stamp can put into some decent birds within a reasonably short drive and relatively short $.

Today is NH opening day BTW.... First one I haven't taken off work in a long time [angry]

Last edited:
Duck

If you know of any good duck spots I just bought two dozen decoys.

I would like to hunt pheasant too, but the WMA's are pretty packed with pheasant hunters.

Would you be interested in going to Northern NH for grouse? The population is supposed to be pretty good.

Derek:

I used to hunt the Salsbury Salt marsh a lot and the Parker River wildlife reservation. (Just drive down the dirt road on Plum Island till you get to the very end and its open for hunting)

Other places are the old National Guard training area off Bridge St Rt 38 in Dracut. You will see the swamp. Great underground bunkers to hide in! and the other side of the swamp in the Dracut Dump on hildreth st.

then You can go to Salem Willows and hunt on the rocky beach. You will need a dog or canoe to get the ducks.

Gloucester MA just before the big bridge on the right in the marsh by the yacht club. Launch a canoe.

Wingershiek Beach. Their is a public boat launch in the marsh on the right. The road is a little bit underwater on moon tides.

Fort Devens/ Concord River: Makes a nice float trip in a canoe.
Concord River in Billerica is good in areas. little canoe launch near bridge

If your in the Old ORchard Beach Maine area; bring your decoys and Ill take you Sea duck hunting in the Scarborough Marsh. Largest Salt Water Marsh east of the Pecos. limit 7 sea ducks and 5 puddle ducks this year

MAINE_Common_Eider.jpg

In Newbury, I think you can access the Parker river from behind a new over 55 condo development down the road from the Dummer academy (he-he). I was working on that job a couple of years ago and there were hunters out there, but not too many. I think there is a bridge down the road where you can put a canoe or other smaal boat in. Plenty of deer around, too.

Hi there,

I'm a hunter living in the North Shore area. I do all of my hunting in Vermont, but have wanted to try hunting partridge on the North Shore. I think I found a good WMA that is not stocked with pheasant but has plenty of native upland species:

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/habitat/maps/wma/northeastwma/williamforwardwma.pdf

Looks like it's a little more than 2,000 acres. Very marshy so I expect woodcock populations would be high.

I've heard the areas stocked with pheasant can get a little insane, so I'm steering clear for now. Has anyone hunted the William Forward WMA? Is it too marshy for upland hunting?

It is a nice spot. It does have a lot of marsh, but it also has a higher ground "island" that is farmed. It has a lot of thick cover and holds deer. I've never seen partridge there (which doesn't necessarily mean they are not there), but have taken a woodcock or 2 over the years. The marsh is also a good place to jump shoot ducks out of the creeks and river that runs through it. Geese also have been known to come into the farmed fields once they are cut.

Nevermind. After taking a closer look at the map I see a trail that leads from a parking area to the island.

I might try it out in a couple of weekends.

Check the WMA regs in the abstracts here:

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/abstracts/abstracts.htm

Also, since you can and probably will be hunting waterfowl and upland species at the same time, make sure you are following the waterfowl regs. (Have stamps, HIP, non-toxic shot, plugged mag, etc)

Of course,they don't apply if waterfowl is out of season, or you are not hunting them.

Check the WMA regs in the abstracts here:

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/abstracts/abstracts.htm

Also, since you can and probably will be hunting waterfowl and upland species at the same time, make sure you are following the waterfowl regs. (Have stamps, HIP, non-toxic shot, plugged mag, etc)

Of course,they don't apply if waterfowl is out of season, or you are not hunting them.

I saw those, thanks. I've also read almost everything I could find on that site. Massachusetts just makes me scared. It's why I've never hunted here. Every time I turn around, there seems to be some firearm regulation I've never heard about or couldn't find easily. I'm afraid I'll be out there doing my thing, get checked, and the next thing I know I'm off to the slammer for having 200 #6 pellets instead of 175 #8.

One other thing to remember about the WMA's is that hunting is a SUNRISE start. If you are not on a WMA, it is 1/2 hour BEFORE sunrise.

Back
Top Bottom