Non Resident MA LTC

hey everyone. You've probably read this question a hundred times, but im assuming the acceptance rate changes year to year.

I have a NH license, and a MA firearms training course certificate. I went for my interview about a week ago and the guy that did the interview was nice and very professional, we joked around a bit and before I knew it, the interview was finished in no time. he took my prints and my picture, and then talked to me as if I was already approved (said dont forget to apply for the license 4 months before it expires etc).

My main question is, I applied for the LTC class A, what are the odds id be sent something restricted? My app had reasons for work and for regular travel, like visiting family and just hanging out in MA

I've heard they recently began issuing restricted on alot of 1st time applicants, I've had mine for 3 years and never had anything but ALP/ No Restrictions. If you are issued a restricion, appeal it.

Ouch. I mean I cant really complain since my work takes me into MA most of the time, but I also spend like 90% of my leisure time there too, aka going out, walking the streets of boston at night with my buddies... would be a shame if im restricted to B

I have no restrictions, but I was just renewing this year, so they extended my existing license.

I have heard first time is almost guaranteed, restricted to hunting and target shooting, unless you have already been a victim of a crime and have justification.

The state does not B-ram nonresident LTC-A applicants that qualify. They give out restricted As, and then the next year you (typically, from people I've talked to) can get an unrestricted.

Over the years the policy seems to have morphed quite a bit. A long time ago a dog and pony show was always required for an unrestricted/ALP. Then it moved to unrestricted pretty much
across the board. Then it went to restricted on first issue (with possibly a nice dose of lies about how you will get an unrestricted permit, but don't believe them. )

Also, don't get bent out of shape when you can't buy ammo in MA even with your nonresident LTC. The simon's rock BS law bars nonresidents from purchasing guns or ammo from
dealers in MA. Guns and ammo are cheaper in NH anyways. [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited:
Even if the interview went smooth theres a chance I might be given a target shooting license? I have been a victim of crime and I actually have to go to court in a few months because someone hit me and pulled a knife on me, and the police saw the whole thing and arrested them. my shooting instructor said its better if I didnt mention that so I didnt

Even if the interview went smooth theres a chance I might be given a target shooting license? I have been a victim of crime and I actually have to go to court in a few months because someone hit me and pulled a knife on me, and the police saw the whole thing and arrested them. my shooting instructor said its better if I didnt mention that so I didnt

If you were the victim of a violent crime I would definitely bring that to light at the interview. I would even bring a copy of the police report and any other documentation you have.

That said, they still might lie to you and issue you a restricted A the first time around anyways. CHSB has been notorious for this the past year or so.

-Mike

my shooting instructor said its better if I didnt mention that so I didnt

Really? Being a past victim of a violent crime is a compelling argument for an unrestricted license.

There's not a ton you can do now but wait and see - Best of luck!

Last edited:
During the renewal interview for my already unrestricted license, he was pushing to know why I had such a fear of crime, and why I needed to protect myself and my family. "Do you have a reason?" "I know you visit bad neighborhoods to see family, but do you have a solid reason?"

I recall now that this past October, the interviewer seemed to be baiting me for T&H...He kept asking if I would be doing any target shooting in Mass then if I would be doing any hunting in Mass, he must have asked each at least 3 times so I just kept saying that I had no desire to do either of those things in Mass.

I got an LTC-A with No Restrictions on my first application. The only thing I had before was an FID and pistol permits (plural: came from NJ, where they issue an individual permit for each pistol you would like to buy) They seemed to have no problem issuing mine for ALP.

Back
Top Bottom