Newry/Bethel Area

I'm from MA and from what I understand; I can open carry (which I won't) in the state of ME and I can also transport my firearm and ammo in the back seat of my car if I want, just not loaded. Is this all correct?

The real questions: I have a condo up at Sunday River which I visit a couple times during spring/summer and want to know where I can do some target practice. Can anyone tell me a place near by?

Can I find some vacant land up there and let her rip?

You can open carry except in prohibitted locations ie, schools, post offices, posted bars...

Without a concealed weapons permit you should disassemble your handgun and or lock it in a separate compartment (NOT THE GLOVEBOX) and keep your ammo separate.

Western Maine Fish & Game is at 1040 Norway Rd. (RT. 117) in Harrison about 45 minutes from your condo.

You can open carry except in prohibitted locations ie, schools, post offices, posted bars...

Without a concealed weapons permit you should disassemble your handgun and or lock it in a separate compartment (NOT THE GLOVEBOX) and keep your ammo separate.

Western Maine Fish & Game is at 1040 Norway Rd. (RT. 117) in Harrison about 45 minutes from your condo.

Thanks for the information. So am I wrong in my assumption that I can keep my gun and ammo separate in the back seat? Can the locked box/safe be in the back seat or does it have to be the trunk? ...or is this a gray area and instead of playing "cowboy", just take all precautions?

ASHDUMP,
Most (94%) of Maine is privately owned. Their is a small range in Waterford (rt 118) right before Papoose Pond. I'm not sure if it is a private club or for LEO's only, but you might want to check it out. Your other option is to befriend a local Mainer that has a good track of land. That should be easy since they are so fond of Ma**h***s.[wink] Get your ME Non-resident Permit to Carry if you do not already have one.

Here we go again MaineCWPtraining.....

I have never heard of the need of disassembling a firearm or the need to keep your ammo seperate. Where do you get that from? I feel sorry for the people who take the course you offer, IMHO, they get a lot of bad information. I know you won't, but I will ask, please cite the statute that states a handgun must be disassembled or locked in a seperate compartment and the ammo kept seperate.

To everyone else, IMHO you need to take what this guy says with a grain of salt. He has posted bad information on this board before and refused to cite the law or correct himself when shown he was wrong. But do not take my word for it, read this thread linked below to see for yourself.

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61727

Everyone I know in maine just throws their unloaded firearms in their car. You can legally just leave it on your seat with the ammo next to it.. You can also place it in a case if you want. The key things are that the gun is not loaded and it is not concealed on your person or within reach of your person. Please see the law in full linked here:

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/Statutes/25/title25sec2001-A.html

"§2001-A. Threatening display of or carrying concealed weapon
1. Display or carrying prohibited. A person may not, unless excepted by a provision of law:
A. Display in a threatening manner a firearm, slungshot, knuckles, bowie knife, dirk, stiletto or other dangerous or deadly weapon usually employed in the attack on or defense of a person; or [2003, c. 452, Pt. N, §2 (NEW); 2003, c. 452, Pt. X, §2 (AFF).]
B. Wear under the person's clothes or conceal about the person's person a firearm, slungshot, knuckles, bowie knife, dirk, stiletto or other dangerous or deadly weapon usually employed in the attack on or defense of a person. [2003, c. 452, Pt. N, §2 (NEW); 2003, c. 452, Pt. X, §2 (AFF).]"

Also here:

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/Statutes/12/title12sec11212.html

"11212. Motor vehicles and motorboats
1. Prohibition. The following provisions apply to shooting from a motor vehicle or motorboat or possessing a loaded firearm or a crossbow in a motor vehicle. ...
B. A person may not, while in or on a motor vehicle or in or on a trailer or other type of vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle, have a cocked and armed crossbow or a firearm with a cartridge or shell in the chamber or in an attached magazine, clip or cylinder or a muzzle-loading firearm charged with powder, lead and a primed ignition device or mechanism, except that a person who has a valid Maine permit to carry a concealed weapon may have in or on a motor vehicle or trailer a loaded pistol or revolver covered by that permit"

This is the information I was given when I took my concealed weapons course here in Maine. I have provided the law for you to reasearch and come to your own conclusions.

Last edited:
Also.... for an informal place to shoot.... from the Sunday River Road go East on Rt 2 towards Rumford. Where 26 heads North into Grafton Notch (Bear River Road) make a left. Immediately on your right will be a very large sand pit. I have shot there before with a friend. The friend looked into it and was told by the land owner he had no problem with people shooting there. That was a couple of years ago so I cannot verify it still is. If there are not any "No Trespassing" signs I think it is safe to assume it is still alright to shoot there. Of course, if there are crews working the sand pit then don't shoot there.

Also, if you want a nice ride go up into NH on RT 26 into Errol. Cote's is a good gun store, it is a nice ride through Grafton Notch as well. Good luck.

Also.... for an informal place to shoot.... from the Sunday River Road go East on Rt 2 towards Rumford. Where 26 heads North into Grafton Notch (Bear River Road) make a left. Immediately on your right will be a very large sand pit. I have shot there before with a friend. The friend looked into it and was told by the land owner he had no problem with people shooting there. That was a couple of years ago so I cannot verify it still is. If there are not any "No Trespassing" signs I think it is safe to assume it is still alright to shoot there. Of course, if there are crews working the sand pit then don't shoot there.

Also, if you want a nice ride go up into NH on RT 26 into Errol. Cote's is a good gun store, it is a nice ride through Grafton Notch as well. Good luck.

Thanks for the additional information. I was looking for the informal shooting spot like you mentioned and I'll check it out when I'm up there.

From what I've read, keeping your firearm unloaded is the main rule to follow. I'll just keep it in the back seat with my magazines in the center console.

Back
Top Bottom