• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Newbie getting permit, with some CT law questions

What's up guys. I am taking the course in two weeks and have a few probably stupid questions, but I sure would love the answers. Trying to read up and understand the laws to the fullest. I am located in CT. In regard to these questions I am thinking the person has their carry permit already. They might be answered in the class, but I didn't want to wait for two weeks to get some answers.

- If you are going to the range, is it legal to conceal carry while going or are you supposed to have the gun unloaded in a locked case, etc? Does it depend on the range? Are you not supposed to carry a loaded gun in the gun shop/range?

- If I am at work, is it legal to leave a loaded handgun in a locked glovebox of my truck from 9-5? It would be on me when I am in the truck or going somewhere for work, just that my boss probably wouldn't want me to carry when I am in the office.

- This might not be a law, but I am a bit confused. I would think carrying you would want to be able to pull the gun out and shoot if necessary. A friend of mine carries a Glock, but there isn't a round chambered. He would need to pull out the gun and cycle the slide before being able to shoot. Would there be a reason for this? Should/would you carry this way?

- Is there anything stating in malls/stores that it is illegal to carry unless specifically posted at the location? When out and about I plan to carry at all times, unless going to a school, federal building, or PD station of course.

- If pulled over while driving, is it necessary to let the officer know you are carrying? I can't see why any person wouldn't state this to the officer, especially if you have to reach towards/near the weapon to get him any information he may need. But lets say the gun is in the center console and you do not need to go into it for anything. Should you still tell him?

This is all I can think of right now, sorry if they seem "simple" questions. I am brand new to firearms and I just really like to research before I go into anything I do. I want to make sure I am aware of all the laws, as there isn't an excuse for not knowing.

FYI: I am probaby looking at picking up a Glock 19 or Springfield Armory XD Subcompact to carry. I plan to go and test a few different guns out before deciding.

Last edited:
What's up guys. I am taking the course in two weeks and have a few probably stupid questions, but I sure would love the answers. Trying to read up and understand the laws to the fullest. I am located in CT. In regard to these questions I am thinking the person has their carry permit already. They might be answered in the class, but I didn't want to wait for two weeks to get some answers.

- If you are going to the range, is it legal to conceal carry while going or are you supposed to have the gun unloaded in a locked case, etc? Does it depend on the range? Are you not supposed to carry a loaded gun in the gun shop/range?

If you have a permit, you can carry (virtually) anywhere - going to the range is no different

- If I am at work, is it legal to leave a loaded handgun in a locked glovebox of my truck from 9-5? It would be on me when I am in the truck or going somewhere for work, just that my boss probably wouldn't want me to carry when I am in the office.

not postitive on this. All i can find is IRT transporting in a MV
Motor Vehicles

By law, when handguns are being transported in a motor vehicle, they must be unloaded and kept (1) in a place not readily or directly accessible from the passenger compartment or (2) in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console (CGS § 29-35). A violation carries a penalty of one to five years imprisonment, a fine of up to $ 1,000, or both, with a mandatory minimum one-year sentence in the absence of mitigating circumstances (CGS § 29-37).

When long guns are being transported in a vehicle or snowmobile, they must be unloaded. A violation carries a fine of $ 10 to $ 100, imprisonment for up to 30 days or both (CGS § 53-205).

- This might not be a law, but I am a bit confused. I would think carrying you would want to be able to pull the gun out and shoot if necessary. A friend of mine carries a Glock, but there isn't a round chambered. He would need to pull out the gun and cycle the slide before being able to shoot. Would there be a reason for this? Should/would you carry this way?

- Is there anything stating in malls/stores that it is illegal to carry unless specifically posted at the location? When out and about I plan to carry at all times, unless going to a school, federal building, or PD station of course.

no

- If pulled over while driving, is it necessary to let the officer know you are carrying? I can't see why any person wouldn't state this to the officer, especially if you have to reach towards/near the weapon to get him any information he may need. But lets say the gun is in the center console and you do not need to go into it for anything. Should you still tell him?

personal preference - personally - no

This is all I can think of right now, sorry if they seem "simple" questions. I am brand new to firearms and I just really like to research before I go into anything I do. I want to make sure I am aware of all the laws, as there isn't an excuse for not knowing.

FYI: I am probaby looking at picking up a Glock 19 or Springfield Armory XD Subcompact to carry. I plan to go and test a few different guns out before deciding.

msot every legal question can be answered here: http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/rpt/2007-R-0369.htm

I’ll try to help out...

1. You can carry a loaded gun on your person or in your vehicle if you have a permit. Individual range rules will vary on loaded / unloaded status, usually the latter.
2. You can leave a loaded gun in your unlocked glove box so long as no one less than 16 y/o can access it. That’s a bad idea if you ask me (a lot of public, midday vehicle break-ins).
3. No round in chamber - personal preference for safety (or maybe he has a wicked temper and needs that extra fraction of a second…..) I always have a round chambered if carrying mine.
4. You can carry anywhere that doesn’t specifically forbid it. Carry into “bars and arguments” and you’re likely to lose the permit.
5. You are not legally obligated to tell the police officer that you are carrying. That is a choice left up to you. I’d tell him / her to prevent any “misunderstanding” if the gun happens to be seen by said LEO. Most officers will not panic if you present your permit to them and tell them you have a firearm.

Hope that helps… Good luck at the class.

Thanks guys. I will definitely go over that link.

I agree about the leaving it in the car. I have a Wrangler with the soft top, so even with the glove box locked, it wouldn't be that hard to get in. And then what do i do if I have the top off. It would be just like leaving the windows down, only worse.

The whole range thing was what got me. I'm thinking if I am going to the range, I would probably be carrying anyways. So to unload, just to reload when you are there seems odd. Obviously I would find this out before I actually did it. Not a problem with bars. I don't go and I don't drink.

My other issue is about the whole chambering a round. I would probably do it both ways, depending on where/when I am going. It would be horrible to need to pull it out and not be able to use it right away if need be. I guess if I am carrying a gun it should be ready to do the job if need be.

I am very excited to be able to go to the range and shoot. I plan to take advanced classes (i.e. CT laws, firing drills, etc.) once I complete the basic course. I figure the more safety conscious I am the better. I want to know what to do if the need arises.

My father is also planning on taking the course with me.

My other issue is about the whole chambering a round. I would probably do it both ways, depending on where/when I am going.

There are lots of threads about this here and other gun boards. It depends on the gun and the person. My overall impression is that most people who carry a lot or always do so with round in the chamber, but most will also say they chose their weapon with that preference in mind, and if they had some other type, they might not think it suitable. Most will also agree that there is a training issue and you need to build the correct habits of gun handling.

As far as my understanding goes, you need to either have the gun within arms reach of you (defined as being on your person), or, it must be unloaded and in a locked container, a glove box does not count unless it is lockable. I will have to look at the law again.

As far as chambered carrying, I personally do not chamber a round. The way the law is written in CT, I can not think of any instance where lethal force would be justified and I would not have the 1 second needed to chamber a round. Not to mention it is a safety issue. I carry a Glock 23 personally.

As far as informing a police officer, I choose to. I get mixed results on that one. Some officers are happy I told them, others seem very cold regarding it. I simply find it easier to let them take possession of the weapon and verify my status, rather than run the risk of them seeing it by accident and getting really mad. Not to mention, in my experience, almost all officers ask if you have any weapons or drugs in the car.

As far as my understanding goes, you need to either have the gun within arms reach of you (defined as being on your person), or, it must be unloaded and in a locked container, a glove box does not count unless it is lockable. I will have to look at the law again.

I agree with you on this. I do not believe you can leave a loaded firearm in a car. In your house it is ok - as long as no one under 16 has access to it.

As far as chambered carrying, I personally do not chamber a round. The way the law is written in CT, I can not think of any instance where lethal force would be justified and I would not have the 1 second needed to chamber a round. Not to mention it is a safety issue. I carry a Glock 23 personally.

As far as informing a police officer, I choose to. I get mixed results on that one. Some officers are happy I told them, others seem very cold regarding it. I simply find it easier to let them take possession of the weapon and verify my status, rather than run the risk of them seeing it by accident and getting really mad. Not to mention, in my experience, almost all officers ask if you have any weapons or drugs in the car.

Not sure if the law passed, but there was a weapon storage in the works a few years ago which stated the weapon had to be stored in a manner in which a reasonable person would expect a minor could not obtain access to it. If they did, unless there was breaking and entering involved, you could be held liable.

I keep all my weapons except my home defense gun locked in my gun cabinet. ANd for extra measure, they are all trigger locked also. The home defense gun is kept in a push button lock safe. Both the cabinet and the safe are bolted in place to prevent theft:) Yeah, I take it seriously, especially since I have a child in the house.

Not sure if the law passed, but there was a weapon storage in the works a few years ago which stated the weapon had to be stored in a manner in which a reasonable person would expect a minor could not obtain access to it. If they did, unless there was breaking and entering involved, you could be held liable.

I keep all my weapons except my home defense gun locked in my gun cabinet. ANd for extra measure, they are all trigger locked also. The home defense gun is kept in a push button lock safe. Both the cabinet and the safe are bolted in place to prevent theft:) Yeah, I take it seriously, especially since I have a child in the house.

This has been law as long as I have known. If someone under 16 could have access, A firearm must be locked up

Sec. 29-37i. (Formerly Sec. 29-37c). Responsibilities re storage of loaded firearms with respect to minors. No person shall store or keep any loaded firearm on any premises under his control if he knows or reasonably should know that a minor is likely to gain access to the firearm without the permission of the parent or guardian of the minor unless such person (1) keeps the firearm in a securely locked box or other container or in a location which a reasonable person would believe to be secure or (2) carries the firearm on his person or within such close proximity thereto that he can readily retrieve and use it as if he carried it on his person. For the purposes of this section, "minor" means any person under the age of sixteen years.

Remember..You DON'T need to lock up unloaded firearms..

I would not recommend anyone carrying a handgun with an empty chamber. Anyone who has taken any level of defensive handgun training would realize this is a bad idea. That "extra time" you may think you have to draw and chamber a round will probably not exist if you ever have to use that weapon.

Thanks guys for the answers. I have a few other questions about types of guns so I will post that in the respected forum.

Regarding the soft-top Jeep, I'd NEVER leave a handgun in that car, ever. One of my most memorable nightmares is that someone steals my car when I'm in buying milk on the way home from the range. The idea of someone stealing my firearms makes me sick to my stomach. If you had a hardtop, you might be able to stash one there safely, especially in an employer's parking lot where there is more security than on the street but never in a public place. The bad guys steal stereos, briefcases, GPS units, and would love to find a gun in a glove box. I, personally, would not leave one myself and it I had to, I'd leave it at home.

Regarding carrying with a round in the chamber, I agree. The decision to employ a handgun takes about a nano-second and having to rack a slide is not going to help you at all. But, that's why I and many others carry only a DAO type handgun. When you take your course, ask your instructor to discuss that in detail. He'll do that as a matter of course but you'll come to understand why DAO is so safe to do so, just as it would be to carry a revolver.

Finally, let me add as an instructor, that I recommend to my new students that they don't carry initially. I strongly recommend that they first become completely comfortable with shooting their carry handgun with continuous, regular practice at the range first. A new shooter needs to develop the muscle memory for handling a firearm to a satisfactory level so that it becomes more instinctive. Carrying a handgun has a huge level of responsibility attached to it because of the damage it can inflict on you or someone else just as driving a car or flying an airplane. It's a tool that, when used by a proficient shooter, can save a life be it yours or someone else's. If you are not proficient with it or are intimidated by it then it's going to be trouble. Like any new tool, becoming intimately familiar with a firearm requires continued use and until that time, it's best that it is left at home. You will know when you are ready as long as you don't fool yourself.

Challenge yourself to become 'good' with your firearm. It's fun and rewarding. Listen to your instructor carefully as you'll learn a lot in a short period of time and follow his recommendations.

Just my 2 cents.

Rome

If a LEO is asking you a question not related to the reason he stopped you, you do not have to say anything. Most if not all the time, the less you say the better off you are, saying nothing does not hurt you in any way, but saying something can and will no matter what you say.

If the LEO does ask if you have a gun just hand him your State Permit. But as always it is up to you when this does happen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom