New to the 556/223 and shotgun ammo... Pointers?

mtsfitness

NES Member
Getting my first .223/.556 rifle in the next few days and recently purchased my first 12ga shotgun... I am brand new to both of these platforms and pretty much have little to no knowledge of the ammo. Defense ammo vs range ammo, what to look for or stay away from? Any basic information about the do's and dont's would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

If the rifle/pistol is stamped .223 Remington, don't shoot any 5.56mm in it.

Shotgun ammo is a smorgasbord. Bird shot for clays, slugs for deer hunting. Don't get caught in the woods with slugs out pf season.

Buckshot for home defense is ok unless you live in a Japanese style home.

Getting my first .223/.556 rifle in the next few days and recently purchased my first 12ga shotgun... I am brand new to both of these platforms and pretty much have little to no knowledge of the ammo. Defense ammo vs range ammo, what to look for or stay away from? Any basic information about the do's and dont's would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Generic 55g FMJ will probably be adequate in 5.56x45mm. You'll find plenty of articles about the differences between 5.56 and .223 Remington, so search and read up a bit. Much has to do with where the pressure readings are derived, but in general, the advice above is the rule.
With shot shell, be mindful of what your gun can chamber. If it's designed for 2 3/4" shells, don't use 3" or longer.

If the rifle/pistol is stamped .223 Remington, don't shoot any 5.56mm in it.

Shotgun ammo is a smorgasbord. Bird shot for clays, slugs for deer hunting. Don't get caught in the woods with slugs out pf season.

Buckshot for home defense is ok unless you live in a Japanese style home.
out of what season? coyote can be taken with slugs which is a long season. Hell even squirrels can be taken in zones 1-9 with shotgun or rifle of any caliber according to the abstract so why would a slug cause the boys in green heartburn? Additionally there is nothing i have ever seen that states what load can be used in a shotgun for squirrel or rabbit. Unleas im missing something having a slug in your hunting vest in january while hunting rabbits while coyote is still in season is not going to be against any reg in the abstract. Now i would not be silly enough to take a rabbit or squirrell with a slug.....but having a slug in posession in the woods outside of shotgun deer season is not against the reg as far as i see. Unless you can prove me wrong with a quote from the abstract i have overlooked. Until i see any different when im squirrel and rabbit hunting ill keep a couple remington sluggers in my vest in case a yote opportunity presents itself.

Last edited:
By brand new to these platforms. What do you mean? What platforms are you familiar with?
Go to the range with someone that can show you the ropes. Do you have a club/range you go to?

out of what season? coyote can be taken with slugs which is a long season. Hell even squirrels can be taken in zones 1-9 with shotgun or rifle of any caliber according to the abstract so why would a slug cause the boys in green heartburn? Additionally there is nothing i have ever seen that states what load can be used in a shotgun for squirrel or rabbit. Unleas im missing something having a slug in your hunting vest in january while hunting rabbits while coyote is still in season is not going to be against any reg in the abstract. Now i would not be silly enough to take a rabbit or squirrell with a slug.....but having a slug in posession in the woods outside of shotgun deer season is not against the reg as far as i see. Unless you can prove me wrong with a quote from the abstract i have overlooked. Until i see any different when im squirrel and rabbit hunting ill keep a couple remington sluggers in my vest in case a yote opportunity presents itself.

Having slugs other than deer (in season) is a no,no!

Shotgun ammunition: except as provided below, no species other than deer, coyote, or waterfowl may be hunted or taken with shot larger than #1 birdshot. Except during the prescribed open season when deer may be hunted lawfully with a shotgun, a person shall not have in his possession a shotgun shell loaded with a rifled slug, single ball, buckshot of any size, or any shot larger than or equal to air rifle shot in any place where birds or mammals may be found except on a skeet, trap, or target range between sunrise and sunset, or except for the hunting of coyotes (a) during the prescribed open season for coyotes with shot not larger than FF; or (b) during the shotgun deer season when coyotes may be hunted only with archery, muzzleloader, or shotgun—using slugs, buckshot, or shot of any size; or, except as specified in the annual Migratory Game Bird Hunting Regulations.

Shotgun ammunition: except as provided below, no species other than deer, coyote, or waterfowl may be hunted or taken with shot larger than #1 birdshot. Except during the prescribed open season when deer may be hunted lawfully with a shotgun, a person shall not have in his possession a shotgun shell loaded with a rifled slug, single ball, buckshot of any size, or any shot larger than or equal to air rifle shot in any place where birds or mammals may be found except on a skeet, trap, or target range between sunrise and sunset, or except for the hunting of coyotes (a) during the prescribed open season for coyotes with shot not larger than FF; or (b) during the shotgun deer season when coyotes may be hunted only with archery, muzzleloader, or shotgun—using slugs, buckshot, or shot of any size; or, except as specified in the annual Migratory Game Bird Hunting Regulations.

Not quite the same, but years ago, I was goose hunting in N. Andover with a buddy and ran out of shells. He tells me there are some loose ones in the shitcatcher on the pickup door. I grab them and continue shooting. Picking up the hulls in the cornfield after we're done....I come across four OO Buck hulls.[grin]

the exemption "a" i take to mean during open season on yotes (which is a long season that overlaps small game season)you may posess slugs. Am i reading that wrong?

the exemption "a" i take to mean during open season on yotes (which is a long season that overlaps small game season)you may posess slugs. Am i reading that wrong?

I might be wrong also but it looks like you can't use larger than FF unless it is deer season.

I think I'll go with (b) during the shotgun deer season when coyotes may be hunted only with archery, muzzleloader, or shotgun—using slugs, buckshot, or shot of any size.

Many years ago,I heard of an arrest for target shooting with slugs on ones own property.The land abutted watershed property that was posted no hunting. It was prior to the opening of shotgun season. They were charged with the possession of slugs out of the legal season.It was not an official range and on a Sunday.

I think I'll go with (b) during the shotgun deer season when coyotes may be hunted only with archery, muzzleloader, or shotgun—using slugs, buckshot, or shot of any size.

Many years ago,I heard of an arrest for target shooting with slugs on ones own property.The land abutted watershed property that was posted no hunting. It was prior to the opening of shotgun season. They were charged with the possession of slugs out of the legal season.It was not an official range and on a Sunday.
where is j pauletti when we need him :)

Thanks for all of the input guys... I have mostly done shooting with my handguns and didn't know much about rifle/shotgun ammo... I have a better understanding of shotgun ammo but wasn't sure what the preferred manufacturers for"range" ammo were...

Rifle ammo I have pretty much no clue. I just ordered my first AR in 223/556. I'll probably give the manual a good read and see what it suggests and go from there.

your range will tell you what kind of ammo you can shoot there. They may only let you use slugs

For rifle ammo, if you just want plinking/practice ammo I'd go with XM193 (this is loaded to the same specs as military ammo and mfg by Federal, CBC, Privi Partisan, IMI, and others). I've also been shooting a lot of Wolf Gold with very good results. You should expect to pay somewhere between .30-.40 per round and accuracy of around 2-3 MOA. You can find steel cased ammo for a little less, but I'm personally not a big fan.

If you want match ammo, Federal, Black Hills, Hornady, and Privi Partisan all make pretty good match ammo. You'll be looking at somewhere between .60-1.00 per round, but should expect 1-1.5 MOA, assuming a decent shooting AR with a quality barrel.

Don't know much about personal defense ammo - so I'll let someone else chime in on that.

your range will tell you what kind of ammo you can shoot there. They may only let you use slugs

Or buck/bird shot.
At one of my clubs it's slugs only on the rifle range. You can bring your own target stand if you want to test buck/bird shot.
Or use the pattern board at the trap range with 7 1/2 shot being the largest shot you can shoot on the trap range.

Back
Top Bottom