• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New reloader needs some advice with IDPA power factor

I recently started reloading and came up with a load that feels good, and I'd like to try it out for IDPA competitions.

How do I know if it makes power factor? I don't own a chrony and it's a bit more expensive than I need for the few times I'll actually need it. Also, my pistol doesn't have an IDPA "longest allowed" barrel. Any ideas on how to make sure I'm not cruising for a DQ? You know, short of getting that Glock 34 I've been wanting and then dropping another $120 on a chronograph...

Thanks.

Short of testing it with a chrono- it's just a guessing game. Plenty of people have chronos and most will let you try theirs... providing you can shoot well enough not to hit it! LOL I'd make sure to make PF with MY gun and not rely on a Glock 34 or similar.

Like Dave said, my loads make PF in my guns. My 9mm minor load for IDPA/USPSA makes PF with a >= 5% margin in all my guns, including my M&P9c. That being said, you'll only be chrono'd at a major match. If you can't borrow a chrono, just shoot factory (quality major brand) at a sanctioned match. You won't get DQ'd for not making PF, you'll just shoot for no score.

Alright, thanks guys. Looks like I'll either convince someone who hasn't seen me shoot to let me chrono with his/her chrony (kidding... sort of), or I'll save up for one.

Thanks!

Crony can be found for under 100.00 I have the crony brand with remote display its far from fancy but works. I got mine from midway on sale for 79.00

Where in Central MA are you? I'm in Barre, and you can shoot over my chrony if you want to. Let me know and I can get it back from another NESer who currently has it.

Competition Electronics has a chrono that retails at about $100 or slightly less from the big dealers like Midway. I have found it to be worth the extra $ over the cost of a Chrony.

It's honestly not a huge deal for local matches, but for sanctioned matches, you need to chronograph rounds. The same goes for other actin pistol disciplines. Sanctioned matches are "official" matches for award recognition where your ammunition may be subjected to a chronograph. If you don't have friends with chronographs, you need to buy one. Consider all the expenses you incur for a sanctioned match (entry fee, gas, lodging, food, reloading components, time spent practicing)...the 100 some-odd dollar investment is really a drop in the bucket.

You won't see a chrono at local matches, but you will at most sanctioned matches. What caliber and load are you using? Someone here might have a similar load.

If you can make it out to Harvard Sportsmen's some weekend, I could bring my chrono and we measure your rounds.

Thanks, guys... I'll be at the IDPA practice on Monday and at the comp on Saturday at Harvard.

The load is 3.4gn Accurate #2 with 146gn Cu plated bullets. This all assumes my scale is accurate, which I've calibrated, but still. Nagging fear when near-explosives are used.

Back
Top Bottom