New Mass Turkey Hunter-seeking Guide

I am looking forward to learning how to hunt Turkey in Mass this spring. I've taken and passed my Mass Hunter Ed, enjoy the range, and own a Reminton 870. I've never been hunting.

If there are any experienced Mass Turkey Hunters who want to drag me along, I'd greatly appreciate your expertise and will gladly reimburse you for gas, ammo and time spent to help me bag (and clean) my first gobbler.

I live in Metrowest Mass and can drive to anywhere in the state to learn how to hunt Turkey.

Thanks for sending me a PM with your contact information, hoping to get out on a Saturday, welcome your advice, and look forward to preparing with the correct license, calls, and ammo to learn this year.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Here are a few recommendations to start, first thing you need to do is to pattern your gun with several types of turkey loads. check out which load works best for you. I use an 870 express with a jellyhead turkey choke. You've got a month to get ready, if you don't have any calls, get a box call. They are easy to learn and use. Practice as much as you can. Mouth calls are great to limit motion while calling, but if you don't have the time to practice you won't sound right. The most important thing to do right now, get out in the woods and find out where they are roosting. I like to go in the afternoon and just take a stroll through the woods. If you know where they are headed in the late afternoon, you know where they are going to be in the early morning. Setup 200 -300 yards away from the roosting tree in the morning and call that Tom in!

Thanks massduct! I greatly appreciate your recommendations. Just ordering my license and permit tonight. Thanks again for your suggestions!
SH

I'm new, too

I took the hunter ed class last summer, and did a little sea duck hunting with my friend who is a guide on the south shore. I tried my hand at the fall turkey season, but never saw nor heard a gobble. I had better luck with shotgun deer season, bagging my first-ever deer, a 5-point 170 lb buck.

I got my combined sporting license with turkey, waterfowl, and deer tags/permits, so I'm ready go to.

I have been doing a lot of reading and studying about turkey hunting. There are a few decent magazines and a turkey hunting "buyer's guide" at Wal*Mart's magazine rack. most other stores don't have near the selection of hunting, fishing, and gun magazines.

And I'll also be out taking a lot of morning and afternoon walks in the coming weeks, spying for turkeys. Hopefully, they found food through the snowpack and there are lots of them to choose from!!

Thanks for your feedback StevieP! I've been studying up and will also start taking early morning walks looking and listening for those roosting gobblers!
Best regards,
SafeHome

Back
Top Bottom