Need help with CT law on shipping firearms

GSG

Quick CT law question for anyone who knows. In order for a CT resident to ship a gun to an FFL in another state, under CT law can they ship it themselves, or do they have to take it to a local FFL to have them transfer it & ship it? I know that federal law allows it, but I think an FFL is just trying to sneak multiple transfer fees out of an unknowing individual. Can anyone who knows better help me out?

The law would only apply to transfers within the State..I don't see how they have any authority over shipping to an out of state FFL...Here the law regarding handguns transfers..but again..within the state..They can ship it..

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2009/pub/Chap529.htm#Sec29-33.htm

Thanks. I'm not really familiar with the resident transfer laws, I've never really dealt with them before. I just found out this guy made the mistake of asking LE for legal advice, and that's what they told him.

Yes you can legally ship to a FFL and they can ship it directly back to you - no transfers are needed. I shipped a handgun this way to IA last year for customizing. Take it to one of the big processing centers and they will help you out. Of course you declare it as a firearm etc.

If your transferring it (selling, whatever...) go through a dealer. You are required to go through the whole transfer procedure as a state resident.... authorization number (which SLFU will NOT give a non-dealer going out of state), DPS-3s, etc.

This is an interesting question. As buketduder pointed out, the law specifically applies only to sale, delivery, or transfer. If the FFL transfer to GSG takes place in another state, then presumably none of those events occur in CT. So exactly how is the law being broken?

BTW, I'm sure that most are already aware, but I want to point out to anyone else that the private sale of long guns in CT are only recorded at gun shows, so this question only applies to handguns.

My understanding is, when the gun leaves your hand in an out of state transfer, you are in CT and subject to CT law, and that is a no - no. I agree that long guns can be shipped, sold, transferred, to a FFL out of state.... never between unlicensed persons, of course.

If your transferring it (selling, whatever...) go through a dealer. You are required to go through the whole transfer procedure as a state resident.... authorization number (which SLFU will NOT give a non-dealer going out of state), DPS-3s, etc.

I was of the impression that CT's DPS forms were similar to Mass.'s FA-10 forms, in that they only document transfers between residents of CT, not when transferred to an out of state FFL. I believe in CA with their registration system a gun has to go through a dealer to be sold even when it's going out of state.

Obviously this guy wants to stay within the boundaries of the law, but my searches of CT LEO info sites, NRA-ILA and other sources haven't given me an answer on this.

This is an interesting question. As buketduder pointed out, the law specifically applies only to sale, delivery, or transfer. If the FFL transfer to GSG takes place in another state, then presumably none of those events occur in CT. So exactly how is the law being broken?

This is my thought too.

BTW, I'm sure that most are already aware, but I want to point out to anyone else that the private sale of long guns in CT are only recorded at gun shows, so this question only applies to handguns.

Thanks, I forgot about that important detail in CT law.

I have had to deal with this lately and it was confusing to say the least. I called the ATF directly and they told me that as long as I was transferring it to a FFL out of state I was fine. Then I called the CT dept. of public safety. They stated that the ATF's answer was only related to federal laws and not state laws. They require paperwork to show the gun has been transferred out of your name. If you don't do that, they consider you as still the legal owner even if you sold it out of state.

They might consider you the "legal owner"..but its not illegal...If I buy a rifle and 2 years later sell it privately in state they would also still consider me the legal owner because no paperwork was done..BUT again..not illegal...to put it simply....what if i am vacationing in Vermont...and come upon an FFL who wants to buy a gun I have with me..I have to ask CT Permission to sell a gun in Vermont? If I called them and told them "Hey I am transferring a handgun to an FFL in Vermont" they are probably going to laugh..Are they going to do a background check on an FFL? Are they going to give me an Authorization Number for a sale in Vermont? Since I have to mail the DPS 3 to the buyer's hometown would I then mail a CT form to a town in Vermont? It doesn't even make any sense...

Back
Top Bottom