Need advice - hand guard and block/front sight combo

sbi

Building my first AR with 14.5 mid-length barrel. I want a free float hand guard (leaning towards MI). I also feel like I don't want the gas block and any part of the tube to be exposed (not sure why...to protect it from damage?!). Also, I don't want the hand guard to be too long, to reach almost to the end of the barrel.

That being said, MI's GEN2-SS 9" will not even reach the block and their 10" will reach the middle of the block. I am trying to picture it in my head how it will look, can't find any real picture of a block semi-covered by the guard.

Here is my question - the only way to have a short (9") guard and avoid the block being 'exposed' is by using a folding front sight/block combo, such as YHM-9394 or PRI. PRI looks much nicer but also more expensive.

The front/rear folding sights will be for back-up only.
Anyone here using a folding front sight with gas block? Are there any issues with it in the long run that I should be aware of? My original plan was to have the front folding sight on the rail.

Thanks in advance.

Can't comment on the free float, but I have a 14.5", 16", 18" & 20" with front flip gas blocks and they are BUIS. Haven't had a problem with any of them.

Can't comment on the free float, but I have a 14.5", 16", 18" & 20" with front flip gas blocks and they are BUIS. Haven't had a problem with any of them.

Thanks. Care to share which one/s you use? Can you recommend one?

Why not just get the 12" handguard and Co er the gas block like you originally wanted?

Because a 12" guard on a 14.5" barrel will look like this (as you can see, it covers almost the entire length of the barrel) and I don't like the look of it. I prefer a larger part of the barrel exposed (between the guard and the MB) like in this picture.

Here's a 12" DD Lite rail on a 14.5" barrel with a lantac brake pinned/welded on it for reference.

094.jpg

I have 3 YHM flip gas block sights (2 are hooded and one is standard) and 1 is a Rock River flip up which looks identical to YHM standard but it has a small rail section where the YHM would have the bayo lug. I basically bought them due to price. (yes I'm cheap) I found most of them on sale for less than $70 shipped except the Rock River, which I believe that one ran me $75 or so delivered.

The YHM flip up/block is rock solid in my opinion and a good option if you decide to go that route. I've seen several rifles with them and they all work well.

You could use a carbine length gas system, I realize this means swapping out parts, but I personally wouldn't like my gas block/tube unprotected.

A good gun smith could cut a 12" rail to size for you, and other rail manufacturers will make them to customer specified lengths, SLR rifle works does this I believe.

Our tastes are opposite, I like 14.5" guns with 14" rails more and more lately. It grows on you I guess.

Thank you all.

Now that I think about it, I don't believe I can even use a flip up/block with floating guard because floating guard requires a low-profile block and a block with flip sight is not low-profile when you close the sight, so I won't be able to slide the floating rail over the block and clearly won't be able to install the sight/block and/or the tube after the guard is installed. Unless I miss something in the process.

You could always go with the 11" guard, a low profile block fully covered and a flip on at the end of the guard.

I am building a rifle with a 14.5inch barrel and mid length gas. I just bought the Diamondhead VRS-T 10.25 free float. It will cover the gas block.

PrimaryArms is out of stock.

I bought mine from Opticsplanet.com last night. There's a $15 off coupon. Plus free shipping

Edit. The VRS-T is back in stock

Last edited:
I am building a rifle with a 14.5inch barrel and mid length gas. I just bought the Diamondhead VRS-T 10.25 free float. It will cover the gas block.

PrimaryArms is out of stock.

I bought mine from Opticsplanet.com last night. There's a $15 off coupon. Plus free shipping

Edit. The VRS-T is back in stock

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom