• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

neck sizing

gerrycaruso

NES Member
I know that cases can be neck sized with a full length sizing die. I've read that it's a good idea and I've read that it's a bad idea. Anyone do it?

I know that cases can be neck sized with a full length sizing die. I've read that it's a good idea and I've read that it's a bad idea. Anyone do it?
It can be done to some extent.
If you color the neck with a sharpie you can adjust your die until it just gets fown to where the neck and shoulder meet? I have done it with some worn chambers to help extend brass life on my Enfield and T99
If your going to get into neck sizing buy the correct die

Bad idea.

Erik has a second video with a bunch of world champs telling you they all full size.

This is the short video, you can find the other video.

View: https://youtu.be/lLG2kSrD40g

How do you neck only with a full length size die? They make a neck only sizing die which won’t size the body.

Either way full length sizing is the way to go. The key is to not push the shoulder back too much which will degrade your brass quickly.

Get yourself a comparator set which will index on the shoulder of your cartridge and let you measure it’s location. Take fireformed brass, size and bump the shoulder 2-3 thousandths.

Bad idea.

Erik has a second video with a bunch of world champs telling you they all full size.

This is the short video, you can find the other video.

View: https://youtu.be/lLG2kSrD40g

well.
erik is of course right, but you have to adjust what he says to your own reality. if you have several thousands of random range pick-up brass, and you expect any consistency from it - you need to size your brass to some common denominator.
if all your brass is a pristine store bought lapua - like erics`s brass - then for sure, why to bother. i checked all the new lapua 6 br brass i got - $1 per shell - it is perfectly the same exact size, why would i even care to go there.

on .308 and .223 brass i have a huge mix of whatever exists out there - and all that brass got fired, then set in full size die to a same shoulder height sizing, then necks were trimmed to the same exact size. after that it shoots more or less like it should. same with 6.5cm where i have 4 different brands of brass mixed. and it does not matter that much if all necks are shorter or longer, as far as they are all more or less the same, so the exiting bullet has to deal with the same amount of neck friction every time.

well.
erik is of course right, but you have to adjust what he says to your own reality. if you have several thousands of random range pick-up brass, and you expect any consistency from it - you need to size your brass to some common denominator.
if all your brass is a pristine store bought lapua - like erics`s brass - then for sure, why to bother. i checked all the new lapua 6 br brass i got - $1 per shell - it is perfectly the same exact size, why would i even care to go there.

on .308 and .223 brass i have a huge mix of whatever exists out there - and all that brass got fired, then set in full size die to a same shoulder height sizing, then necks were trimmed to the same exact size. after that it shoots more or less like it should. same with 6.5cm where i have 4 different brands of brass mixed. and it does not matter that much if all necks are shorter or longer, as far as they are all more or less the same, so the exiting bullet has to deal with the same amount of neck friction every time.
He is saying to full length size, I would assume anyone picking up junk to shoot out of a very nice gun will full length and trim all that junk.

Anyway, after the cost of setting up a nice rifle, spending $100 or so on new brass is nothing.

He is saying to full length size, I would assume anyone picking up junk to shoot out of a very nice gun will full length and trim all that junk.

Anyway, after the cost of setting up a nice rifle, spending $100 or so on new brass is nothing.
And a neck die if going that route?

Just a Thank you to members here that helped me start my reloading "journey".
First batches finally made it to the range today.
All went bang. No failures to feed or eject.
150 rounds out of G19X and PSA Dagger from Glock, Magpul, and KTS assorted round count mags.
Flawless.
Berry's 124 grn plated over 6.8 grns of Hodgden HS6, CCI primers.

(Unlike wtf my buddy was shooting. Lot of smoke. Lot of gun issues. FTF, blown primers, etc. Poor bastard was struggling)

Thanks again boys,
You know who you are.

Back
Top Bottom