NEAR-Fest wish list

I'm going up on Friday with a couple elmers.

What to buy.

I was wondering what would be on your list if you were a new ham like me. Only 5+ months into the hobby.

I've got my General ticket.

Stuff I have
UV-82 HTs x 2 with the programming cable.
Kenwood TM-281 (2m radio)
Icom IC-7100 for HF work as well as 2m/440
LDG Tuner
2m Amp up to 160W
2 25amp switching power supplies
1 Diamond X50A 2m/440 antenna
20m hamstick dipole
80m OCF dipole (yet to be hung due to lack of slingshot or potato canon) <---this could be on the list
Laptop with all software needed for various programming and digital mode stuff
12v batteries with charging controllers
Power Pole crimper and connectors
Solder station...good for smaller stuff...not so good on the larger gauge wire. <----maybe a soldering gun?

I was thinking for another HT...maybe a multi-bander that can do 6m? Is that a thing? Haven't googled it yet...but will shortly. If it exists, what brand/model?

Things for you to consider;
1)an HF amplifier
2)Battery bank, charger and switch for backup power
3) D star or other digital radio
4)more antennas
5)Watt meters
6)antenna analyzer
7)Desk mic for your HF radio
8)

Things for you to consider;
1)an HF amplifier - Good idea. Anyone know what the max most dipoles can handle?
2)Battery bank, charger and switch for backup power. Already done...have 2 15Ah batteries in parallel for the radio with the chargers
3) D star or other digital radio - Icom IC7100 does D-Star. Would need to look at Icom HTs maybe? Dunno if I care that much about D-Star
4)more antennas - Yeah...was thinking about that...maybe a 20m fan dipole for the attic.
5)Watt meters - Good call...on the list.
6)antenna analyzer - Got a RigRunner AA-600. Does both HF and UHF/VHF
7)Desk mic for your HF radio - Good call...I have a Heil desk mic...just need the adapter cable....on the list.
8)
Answered in-line.

I may go Friday if I am back in the area in time, I should be driving right by on my way home from Stu's class around 4 or 5pm. I am def going to go Saturday if I don't make the stop. I am interested in taking a look around, I am newly interested in cross-band repeating, so a deal on a mobile like a FT8800 would catch my eye, maybe a 1.25M radio. Otherwise I need some antennas.

I was thinking for another HT...maybe a multi-bander that can do 6m? Is that a thing? Haven't googled it yet...but will shortly. If it exists, what brand/model?

I have a VX-7R that does 6M, but from what I understand 6M at 5 watts is kind of useless. Granted I have not attempted to really use the 6M feature, I do have a Diamond triband antenna that covers 6M. Yaesu discontinued the VX7R and replaced with the VX8-something that is pretty feature packed, I think it still does 6M.

I really should bust that radio out and start playing with it.

I won't be able to make it this year, but last spring there was a guy selling what looked to be pretty rugged portable antenna mast sections with a tripod base. Military looking, OD green. That would be on my list.

I won't be able to make it this year, but last spring there was a guy selling what looked to be pretty rugged portable antenna mast sections with a tripod base. Military looking, OD green. That would be on my list.

That sounds cool, I wish I were going with more pocket change, I have a feeling there will be a few things that will catch my eye.

I may go Friday if I am back in the area in time, I should be driving right by on my way home from Stu's class around 4 or 5pm. I am def going to go Saturday if I don't make the stop. I am interested in taking a look around, I am newly interested in cross-band repeating, so a deal on a mobile like a FT8800 would catch my eye, maybe a 1.25M radio. Otherwise I need some antennas.

I have a VX-7R that does 6M, but from what I understand 6M at 5 watts is kind of useless. Granted I have not attempted to really use the 6M feature, I do have a Diamond triband antenna that covers 6M. Yaesu discontinued the VX7R and replaced with the VX8-something that is pretty feature packed, I think it still does 6M.

I really should bust that radio out and start playing with it.

Yeeeeeahhhh...this may be the one I get.

http://www.amazon.com/Yaesu-Quad-Band-Submersible-Amateur-Transceiver/dp/B004MAKK7W

Yeah..on second thought.
*** Note: Note: The VX-8DR is a true Quad-Band Radio but Yaesu advertises the unit as a Triple-Band cause you can only transmit 0.5 Watt on 220 MHz. Transmit Power: 50MHz = 1 Watt, 144 MHz = 5 Watts, 220MHz = 0.5 Watt, 440 MHz = 5 Watts ***

Last edited:
Yeeeeeahhhh...this may be the one I get.

http://www.amazon.com/Yaesu-Quad-Band-Submersible-Amateur-Transceiver/dp/B004MAKK7W

Yeah..on second thought.

Yeah, I opened up my VX7R and was disappointed with the power on 220. I think that amazon info may be misunderstood, here is what the VX7R is listed at for power on Yaesu's site.

50/144/430 MHz: 5 Watts of Power

Utilizing a reliable FET power amplifier circuit, the VX-7R provides a full 5 Watts of power output on the 50, 144, and 430 MHz Amateur bands, with bonus coverage of the 222 MHz band at 300 mW (USA version only). And for 6-meter AM enthusiasts, you also get 1 Watt of carrier power on the 50 MHz band. Four power levels may be selected, each offering its own degree of battery conservation.

Looks like you're putting up some outdoor antennas. You might want to consider some lightning protection. PolyPhasers or the Times Microwave inline arrestor's and a good ground system.

Looks like you're putting up some outdoor antennas. You might want to consider some lightning protection. PolyPhasers or the Times Microwave inline arrestor's and a good ground system.

Well, my 2m has an arrestor installed. I was wondering if others use arrestors for dipoles. I suppose it makes sense given that they would be strung up high...in trees in my case. I may look for one while up there then. Thanks for the tip.

Antenna wire, PL connectors and reducers, insulators for dipoles, center baluns, Dacron rope, solder station for delicate work, antenna analyzer, maybe an old boat anchor ham receiver working condition, couple of hot dogs, burgers/fries, etc. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, here are things on my wish list. Having never been to a Fest, will any of these items NOT be there?

Coax cutter/stripper
PL/SO connectors
Shrink Wrap and Heat Gun
Sling Shot or Potato Canon
Heil converter cable for Heil PR10 Desk Mic to Icom IC7100
SMA male / female connectors and converters
Thin Coax cable
Fan Dipole 20 or 40 meter for attic
Raspberry Pi 3 and junk
Lightning arresters for HF
Balunss (1:1 and 4:1)
Insulators

Thaniks

Go for the sling shot. With a little skill and a 1oz weight it's as good as the cannon, much more portable and draws a lot less negative attention [laugh]

Go for the sling shot. With a little skill and a 1oz weight it's as good as the cannon, much more portable and draws a lot less negative attention [laugh]

lol

Maybe I could mod my 10/22 with a low power shell to shoot a dart with a string! Just walk out to the end of my driveway with my big scary 10/22 killy rifle, aim at the sky and shoot! [rofl2]

I plan to go bright and early Friday morning and then venture back hitting gun shops along the way. I don't have anything specific on the list (except for a tower). I am bringing some cash and will hope for pleasant surprises. I always walk away from shows with bags of connectors, pole poles, etc. I have never been to NEAR-Fest. I am looking forward to it.

Well, my 2m has an arrestor installed. I was wondering if others use arrestors for dipoles. I suppose it makes sense given that they would be strung up high...in trees in my case. I may look for one while up there then. Thanks for the tip.

I currently have 4 antennas up. An inverted "V" for 80 meters, a rotating dipole for 40 meters, a log periodic for HF and another one for VHF/UHF. All have PolyPhasers tied to a Harger copper ground bus connected to a 8 foot ground rod with #2 wire. It's not just a direct hit that will get you but one close by that a little finger of energy comes off of. That's what happened to me about 5 years ago. Wiped out my 80 meter dipole and the cable but never made it past the PolyPhaser. The 100 foot pine tree that got hit about 50 feet away got split in half.

I also use lightning arrestors, but I go cheaper than Polyphasers. Just between you and me, they use the same gas discharge tube spark gaps. The build quality may be better with the Polyphasers but you won't notice a performance difference.

Also, nothing will save your equipment from a direct hit to the antenna. The arrestors are for the near misses. When I know lightning is coming I disconnect the coax where it enters the house and pray it all goes into the ground rod instead of jumping several feet in the house.

I am going just to pick up parts for my guitar amp repair business...also, last fall there was a vender selling ammo cans for a very decent price...hopefully he'll be there this spring. I should've bought more than two.

Anything like those listed here?
http://www.militaryfieldgear.com/cborhamraanp.html

The 55 gallon drum containing those mast sections was located here.

We were sited immediately west of the MilSpec Mast Dudes.

(It would be misleading to call them MilSpec Mast Guys -
those are ropes, not hams).

Back
Top Bottom