NEAR-Fest - Deerfield NH - May 1-2 2020

Seems like an interesting event, at least for me that’s just getting into the hobby. I guess my biggest question would be are these like what gun shows have become with horribly overpriced crap and bad beef jerky?

When I went to get my Technician license, there was a ”swap meet” that I had to pay admission for, in addition to the cost of the exam, and it seemed like there were some reasonable prices, but also a lot of things that didn’t seem to justify the asking price.

Last edited:
Seems like an interesting event, at least for me that’s just getting into the hobby. I guess my biggest question would be are these like what gun shows have become with horribly overpriced crap and bad beef jerky?

When I went to get my Technician license, there was a ”swap meet” that I had to pay admission for, in addition to the cost of the exam, and it seemed like there were some reasonable prices, but also a lot of things that didn’t see, to justify the asking price.
My Dad and I have gone to some of the MIT FLEA markets and the Boxboro HAM fest. It was a great time with decently priced stuff. My Dad ended up selling a bunch of audio equipment from his old recording studio and other antiques but the HAM radios and other handheld transceivers others had for sale were all pretty decent. The Boxboro event was even huger. There were workshops and it took place over a couple days. We went one day to a few workshops and it was overall a good time. I definitely recommend both the MIT HAM markets and the other HAM fests.

The May show is a yawner. Due to Hamvention taking place 2 weeks later in Dayton OH, HRO is not present at the May Near-Fest. There are very few seminars and they don't post the list until a week or less before the event. I took a pass last year. The (former) Boxboro show (now moved to Marlboro) is the one not to miss! I is now called Northeast HamXposition and the dates moved to the end of July. Special Announcement | Northeast HamXposition

I've been going to Near Fest since it was Hosstraders in the early 1980s. Like Playboy, very few people go for the classes. ;) If the weather is decent, it's worth going just to see the tables full of boat anchors, mooring blocks, and ancient radios the EPA would list as Hazardous Materials.

Seriously, it's a good flea market and if you know what you're looking for, you can find some bargains. I've even bought firearms accessories there in the past.

Several people I know go up on Friday and camp out overnight. I haven't done that since the last century, but a good number do.

It doesn't compete with Dayton and the flea market is much bigger than anything you'll see at Boxboro.

I have been going since the old days too, following it around as it moved from one venue to another over the years. I am planning on going again. I used to camp in our van when we had that but lately, it's just easier to drive home Friday night and come back on Saturday. I live about 40 minutes away from Deerfield so it's convenient.

The May show is a yawner. Due to Hamvention taking place 2 weeks later in Dayton OH, HRO is not present at the May Near-Fest. There are very few seminars and they don't post the list until a week or less before the event. I took a pass last year. The (former) Boxboro show (now moved to Marlboro) is the one not to miss! I is now called Northeast HamXposition and the dates moved to the end of July. Special Announcement | Northeast HamXposition
If they still have Nearfest this May, it may be better than years past because Dayton has been cancelled. I haven't heard one way or another if the May Nearfest is still a go.

If they still have Nearfest this May, it may be better than years past because Dayton has been cancelled. I haven't heard one way or another if the May Nearfest is still a go.
I'd say that it depends on if those that run the fairgrounds agree to open up before then. The way things are going, I seriously doubt that it will happen. Time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom