• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Near-Fest Fall 2010, Oct. 15-16

25 views and nobody's in ?

WTF ????

Headscratch.gif

I'll be in one of the commercial buildings once more with some of the guys from the south east Mass area.

It looks promising for me. If he doesn't loose motivation, the weekend before my younger son will be taking the Tech-in-a-day class. If so, I'll be there with my 2 ham sons.

In case anyone is interested, the name tag guy that sets up in the commercial building has lots of gun artwork in his computer. I had this tag made back in May for $10. It's hard plastic and has a safety pin back.

Name_Tag.jpg

I wore it while walking around the flea, hoping to run into some NES members.
I also wore it at the two Mansfield shoots I attended this year.

I might go, depending on my ride/the weather. If my dad goes, he's my ride. If not, I'll ride the bike if the weather's good.
We shall see...

As of now, it looks like the weather is going to suck.
They're forecasting wind swept rain for both Friday and Saturday.
Hopefully they'll be wrong, lord knows they've been wrong before.

Can't be any worse than the time we went to the gravel pit in Kingston NH. It rained, sleeted, snowed and then we had a wind storm all in the same day! We never went back there. It will be fine, I've all found the deals to be much better in the rain! :)

I've been several times when it was at "rainchester" seems like it always rained there, hence the nick name. Always hesitant when buying stuff from people outside. I've seen radios on tables exposed to the elements and cringe.

I've been several times when it was at "rainchester" seems like it always rained there, hence the nick name. Always hesitant when buying stuff from people outside. I've seen radios on tables exposed to the elements and cringe.

Oh, those must have been the "Marine" radios. [laugh]

I'm heading up early Saturday a.m. with my boy. Only staying for a few hours though: Scout activities and home duties await. I'm a new Ham and have never been to NEARfest. Any adivce for a 1st timer?

From the North Shore I'll be going up 95 to 101-W. Are there popular 2M repeaters along that route?

It will be dry inside the commercial building. Stop by and visit.

I was there today, didn't see you, did you pack up early?

I didn't do the overnight camp out thing I normally do, I originally planned to, but opted out due to the crappy weather Friday. I got there about 9:30 this morning and left about 3:00. It worked out pretty good because I scored several great deals on some Kenwood UHF trunking radios, and found 90% of the items on my shopping list.

I was there for about 3 hrs in the a.m. Considering the crappy, cold weather I was surprised at the number of people and amount of stuff there. Very educational for a new ham. Got a dummy load, antenna rotator controller and some misc bits and pieces. Hopefully I'll have more time to spend there in the spring.

We wrapped up shortly after noon on saturday, packed and left. We actually sold better on Friday with the reduced crowd hanging inside the commercial building. Sorry that I missed you.

I was there today, didn't see you, did you pack up early?

I didn't do the overnight camp out thing I normally do, I originally planned to, but opted out due to the crappy weather Friday. I got there about 9:30 this morning and left about 3:00. It worked out pretty good because I scored several great deals on some Kenwood UHF trunking radios, and found 90% of the items on my shopping list.

We wrapped up shortly after noon on saturday, packed and left. We actually sold better on Friday with the reduced crowd hanging inside the commercial building. Sorry that I missed you.

I bought several odds and ends from the lady in Commercial Building #1, I believe she was right opposite where you usually set up. She had a new item I had never seen before, I looked at and said "wow, what a great idea!" It's a small flat metal plate, cut in such a way that it slides between the battery terminal and cable end on GM side-post batteries. The protruding edge forms three spades to slip a connector ends onto, which makes an easy way to tap power directly from the battery on a GM vehicle.
They were only $1.50 each so I grabbed a few.

images

Last edited:
I bought several odds and ends from the lady in Commercial Building #1, I believe she was right opposite where you usually set up. She had a new item I had never seen before, I looked at and said "wow, what a great idea!" It's a small flat metal plate, cut in such a way that it slides between the battery terminal and cable end on GM side-post batteries. The protruding edge forms three spades to slip a connector ends onto, which makes an easy way to tap power directly from the battery on a GM vehicle.

Darn! I missed those! I did go both days, 9am to 4pm on Friday and then back up on Sat 9am until about 2:30pm, scored a sweet IC-703 from N1RX, great guy, nice radio, Also found a mint Zenith Transoceanic 600, absolutely pristine, grabbed a bunch of dipoles, connectors, mounting hardware, all kinds of assorted stuff for the junk box. Just to set the record straight, the wind on Sat was much worse than the rain on Friday, tents were flying everywhere with those 40 and 50mph gusts. Sorry I didn't get to chat with anyone but when I'm at hosstraders I stay pretty well focused on the mission. :)

Nice find.

images

images

Did you happen to grab a business card or company name? I'd love a couple of those. It's so simple, but brilliant.

John at Quicksilver Radio is a great guy. He is a member of the club where I was first licensed 20 years ago in CT. Back then he had a bicycle shop and those were my days of biking.
I continue to give him all the business I can. As a matter of fact, last time I was down visiting family at Thanksgiving, I picked up some coax and connectors!

Jason

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom