• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My WWII 1911A1 USGI - What can you tell me about it? **More pics added**

Hello All,

SO I was hoping that you could educate me a little on my USGI 1911. I took the best pictures that I could showing the markings and conditions.

I believe it is a 1943 year production and is stamped US property. It still fires and feels good. This has been in my family since WWII and my father who had it before me kept it dry in a regular locker, locked up.

It shows some very beginning stages of very light rust in a couple of spots and I was wondering if there is anyway to remove the rust without affecting the finish of the firearm at all. Dabting on seeing if someone like Greg Derr can remove the rust without taking any of the finish with it...

I have not cleaned it up or taken it apart to see what markings are located on the inside, that is my next step but I wanted to also see if there are any do's and don'ts when it comes to cleaning this.

Does everything look correct from the pics? Someone was telling me that the grips don't look correct and possibly the hammer and trigger. What are these valued around normally?

The serial is 1,14X,XXX.

My next step is opening it up and looking for marking behind the firing pin stop and on the barrel and top of the frame.
If you could point me towards somewhere to learn more about my 1911 or know yourself then all information is appreciated.

Thanks,
BE4TNUT

photo(10).jpg photo(3).jpg photo(4).jpg photo(5).jpg photo(6).jpg photo(7).jpg photo(8).jpg photo(9).jpg photo(1).jpg photo(2).jpg

Last edited:
looks good. is def a 1943 gun. looks to be original finish (though hard to tell as i THINK hammer, slidestop, safety is supposed to be dulite, and looks parkerized could be wrong on a 43 gun though), hammer looks correct, correct checkered slide stop. would need to see barrel stamp to see if correct, but reguardless I wouldnt mess with it.

id put some oil in it, and fire it a few times each year just to stretch its legs, but thats me.

Last edited:
Wow great gun, family history with it, still fires.... jackpot!!! That is a keeper. Definately don't mess with it, everything I have read is how imporoper cleaning can reck the finish and kill value. I am sure plenty of members here have good info/advice for you.

Only thing abot that I can tell you is, I am jealous and hope to have one someday!!!

What an heirloom!!!

Beautiful piece.....Keep it as is...IMO it looks far better than some I have seen at shows and shops for big $$$$$$

Jealous - you got yourself a nice little piece of history there. Care for it, shoot it and enjoy it.

Awesome. And has a family history to boot.

I'd put a little CLP on the rusty spots you speak of and let it sit for a bit. You can then try something non-abrasive to remove the surface rust. I use either a toothbrush or an old t-shirt backed with some kind of jig to work the rust off. The main thing is be careful you don't scratch past the rust and into the finish beneath.

Also, please note that there is an ever-so-slight idiot scratch on that gun. This is good because most 1911's that age have a big old eye sore of a scratch running down the side of the frame and into the left side finger relief (next to the trigger). You can see in your pic that the scratch is mainly just in the area of the "H" in G.H.D. (the inspector's mark for Brigadier General Guy H. Drewry who was the ordnance authority for Colt in those years.) The inside rear most part of the slide stop (where it meets the magazine follower) makes this dreaded idiot scratch when someone not familiar with the 1911 puts one back together and fumbles that second-to-last step. Be careful when you're putting that old girl back together please! For that step I use a credit card or license or similar thing to wedge between the slide stop and the spring plunger. This way you line up the hump on the slide stop with it's cutout in the frame, slide the card in there and carefully push it home. BAM. No idiot scratch. Take care of it, shoot it, enjoy it!
1911.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting idea with the credit card. Yeah I know the idiot scratch and so far have avoided it on my other 1911's (it is my gun of preference). Field stripping and re-assembling I am very familiar and comfortable with.

sweet piece looks correct hard to tell without up close inspection. I have one from just about the same time frame. I don't remember if my trigger is smooth or like yours?

If you can document the history and it is original, you've got yourself a $5,000 to $10,000 pistol.

I have the book at home, I'll look it up tonight.

How do you go about documenting it?

It can be a pretty lengthy process... I can help you along though.

1) you will have to transfer the firearm over to me on a FA-10, simple sale like $1
2) it may take me several years to decades (hopefully you will not forget about it and move out of state)
3) you will call asking me in a couple years what progress has been made on the history - I will say I don't remember you
4) you will try and track me down to get your firearm back - I will set up appointments and never meet you
5) you will finally give up on trying to get it back and the only thing left will be the FA-10 that you have "documented" the sale

That is the proper way to document such a fine piece of history.

Jealous - you got yourself a nice little piece of history there. Care for it, shoot it and enjoy it.

Max you know i have a Remington Rand in the box still wraped in the brown wax paper, the box has the serial# on it and you can use it anytime
you wont !! just call, and i need another leson on posting pics LOL i cant get any dummer,then again maybe i can!! S.D.

Max you know i have a Remington Rand in the box still wraped in the brown wax paper, the box has the serial# on it and you can use it anytime
you wont !! just call, and i need another leson on posting pics LOL i cant get any dummer,then again maybe i can!! S.D.

Haha it will be my pleasure to help, I will get by there this weekend for you and get you that lesson. Expect a phone call saturday/sunday depending on how the days are shaping up.

Pics of it dis-assembled...

Here are some pics of it disassembled.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 10
  • photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 11
  • photo-2.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 11