My take on the Lee pro 1000

OK so my lee pro 1000 has cranked out around 7000 rounds so far since I bought it. It finally let me down to the point it will not function...
I kept getting primer jams and flipped primers and they would either go in up side dowen or sideways if they would go in at all.... I went batty for about 35 min before seeing the problem.
The primer feed trough has a small piece that has broken off at some point and gives the primer just enough wiggle to move out of correct position. I will post a picture in a bit. PArts for the lee are easy to get "most" parts will come up 0.00 $ in your cart on check out. so far I really cant complain about a progressive press that came with dies and shell plate for 150$ shipped

I could not get my camera to take a clear enough picture of the problem. The plastic shoot has a over hang to contain the primers. At the end just prior to the primer getting into the priming slot the over hang has broken allowing the primer to jump up out of place.

The suspense is killing me, where are the pics!

my camera and camer skills suck I cant get the picture clear enough to see the issue. if you have a lee pro1000 look at your primer chute near the exit. the last 3/16" inch or so is very thin and breaks easy...

I had a loadmaster by lee. The thing cranked our rounds with high reliability. I got out of shooting for a while and gave it away to someone active (regret that now). It was a great press. A little more $ than the 1000, but $255 vs $188 is not bad considering the increase rigidity and build quality. I will probably by another at some point as my shooting ramps.

I finally got around to installing the new primer feed ramp and Lee's new primer feed tray. Works great
Soon I will load up some more 223 with H335 powder. So far the auto drum is living up to its hype and not leaking and dropping darn near dead nuts each drop. Getting maybe +/-.2 grains

Last edited by a moderator:
Kinda cool, and the price is right for everything involved. Never got beyond the Lyman turret press handed down to me. Probably my next move will be to find another turret so that I can leave more dies mounted.

With the new primer feed and new primer tray I was able to load up the last of the 60 grain nosler varmint with 24 grains 844 surplus. *44 is about the same size as H335 and the new auto drum did not leak with this powder. unlike the auto disc measure that would drop about 10 grains for every 20 loaded!

I had a Pro 1000 set up to reload 9mm. Always had issues w/the primer feed & it wouldn't meter powder well at all. Gave it enough effort to try and have it run well. Ended up back in the box and under the reloading bench. Using a RCBS Rockchucker at the moment.

I think the older units with the auto disc has some powder issues. I have the auto drum and it works. Does not even leak with H110. Primer feed needed attention about 1200 rounds in.
Over all it’s hard to beat for th money
I’ve loaded
2500 30 carbine
1500 223
1000 9mm
250 32 SW
500 44 mag
250 38spl
250 357
Setting up for 45 next I have 800 180grain 45 cal to load up

Depending on the powder type (extruded, flake, ball, etc), one dispenser worked better than the other, either the drum or the disk.
Or so I've read.
so far the auto drum has worked the best on all the powders I have tried from H110 to 4064. I will be running some Trailboss through it soon and that's like cheerios

Depending on the powder type (extruded, flake, ball, etc), one dispenser worked better than the other, either the drum or the disk.
Or so I've read.

Yeah, this was an older press with the disk. Powder was Unique IIRC. Might be wrong on the powder I was using. Fairly large flakes, didn't meter well at all.

Mine has finally let me down. Too much grit has got into the ram and base and it just binds up on almost every pull. It’s been set up almost exclusively for .45, although I have recently done a bunch of .40 on it as well. I just cannot polish the ram and base enough to make it function.
I still have an RCBS Rock Chucker and a Dillon press I can use. If I can find a cheap base and ram I might try to get it back up and running. I’m going to call Lee and see what they say.

Funny I have about 1/ 3 lb I was going to us up on some 223 loads
If memory serves, I could feel it shear the powder.
The uniflow I had did the trick.
I've since sold off the uniflow and gotten rid of the lee stuff.Kept the single stage for depriming, but even thats starting to flop around. Gave up on rifle for now, a lot more involved. I do see an M1-A in my future, just not any time soon, maybe when the house is done.If I could find an M1 in .308, I'll go that route. I'll be picking your brain when it happens.

Yeah, this was an older press with the disk. Powder was Unique IIRC. Might be wrong on the powder I was using. Fairly large flakes, didn't meter well at all.

I think Unique, blue dot, 700x and one other used to give me fits. Big fluffy/flaky/bulky stuff. Couldn't get a close to consistent drop. Even tapping the hopper would leave it off some.
Finer stuff like titegroup, bullseye, sr4756 worked pretty good.

My experience with the Lee Pro 1000. It does work but periodically the Phillips head timing screw does need to be adjusted for priming to run smoothly. You also can't let the primer stack get too short without refilling; it needs to have the weight of sufficient primer stack to work.

My experience with the Lee Pro 1000. It does work but periodically the Phillips head timing screw does need to be adjusted for priming to run smoothly. You also can't let the primer stack get too short without refilling; it needs to have the weight of sufficient primer stack to work.
Try the new primer tray set up. I generally don’t let the tray get to low anyway but I have managed to run out of primers with out any issues with the new tray?

Lee Pro 1000 Progressive Press Primer Feeder Attachment - MPN: 90660

Back
Top Bottom