My story.....Rhode Island traffic stop.....1 am

East Providence, RI. 1am, coming from my girls house. i'm a MA resident, i hadn't been drinking or doing any drugs, no drugs in the car. pulled over for speeding by RI state police, 68 in a 55. 2 cops in one cruiser, most likely a trainee situation. Glock 27 under my driver seat loaded, when i saw their lights i got nervous cuz i have no RI gun permit, so i pulled the gun out from my jacket pocket and put it under my seat. here's what happened:

Cop 1: i stopped you for speeding, license and reg please
Me: here's my license, i'll grab my reg from the glove box (hand over both)
Cop 1: u seem nervous, everything okay?
Me: yes, i'm being pulled over, cops are intimidating
Cop 1: have you been drinking or doing any drugs?
Me: nope
Cop 1: where are you coming from?
Me: my girl's house, she lives in johnston
Cop 1: how long were you at her house?
Me: since about 7pm
Cop 1: where do you live?
Me: westport, MA
Cop 1: your reg says fall river
Me: i just moved Jan 1st
Cop 1: any drugs in the car?
Cop 1: ever been arrested?
Cop 1: step out of the vehicle for me please, jump out the passenger side, i don't want you getting out on the highway side (i get out, he starts shining the flash light in my eyes and smelling me to see if i'm DUI)
Cop 2: put your hands on your trunk please
Cop 1: so your sure you have no drugs in your car?
Me: yes i'm sure
Cop 2: do you have any guns or weapons on you? (he starts to pat me down)
Cop 1: do you mind if i do a quick search of your vehicle to verify you have no illegal substances in there?
Me: i don't feel you have a reason to search my car, but go ahead
Cop 1: i just want to verify you have no drugs in the car
Cop 2: do you have any weapons in the car?
Me: i do, there's a handgun under my driver seat, i have a MA LTC
Cop 1: WHAT?? cuff him!! (he says to cop 2)

cop 2 cuffs me, tells me to sit on the ram bar. i asked him to put up my jacket hood cuz i have a bald head and i was freezing. he didn't, he said i'll be fine. cop 1 starts looking for the gun, couldn't find it

Cop 1: where is the gun?
Me: under the front drivers seat
Cop 1: is it loaded?
Me: yes
Cop 1: is the safety on?
Me: it's a glock, no safety
Cop 1: where is your gun license physically?
Me: in my money clip, in my center console

he finally finds the gun and my LTC, releases mag, clears chamber....gun, mag, bullet on top of my car, slide locked open

Cop 1: (to cop 2) i'm gonna continue to search, stand there with him
Cop 2: is that a Glock?
Me: yes, Glock 27
Cop 2: that's what, .40?
Me: yup
Cop 2: how long u had you LTC?
Me: since i was 21yo, 8 years
Cop 2: why do you have an LTC?
Me: why not?
Cop 2: i mean what did you put on your application when you applied?
Me: all lawful purposes
Cop 2: that's all you need to put for a reason in MA??
Me: yup
Cop 2: hmmm, interesting. why was it under your seat, wouldn't you want it on you?
Me: it was in my jacket pocket, i got nervous when i saw your lights and put it under the seat
Cop 2: it's best to just keep it on you
Me: i understand

a few minutes go by, cop 1 finishes the search, finds nothing

Cop 1: my search is complete, i didn't find anything....do you mind if we call your girlfriend to verify you were with her tonight?
Me: i guess so, she might be sleeping by now
Cop 1: where is your phone
Me: center console

they ask me her name, find her number in my phone

Cop 1: stay seated on the front of my car, we'll be back in a few minutes

both cops return to their cruiser, leaving me outside, cuffed, FREEZING for about 15 min. finally they get out and approach me

Cop 1: we spoke to your girlfriend, she verified everything you told us. i don't believe you are under the influence of any drugs or alchohol, the vehicle search was clean, and you were honest with us. technically you could be arrested for having that loaded gun under your seat. i'm not going to do that, and most other officers in RI wouldn't either. since your licensed in a neighboring state we usually respect that as long your not under the influence or actually using the gun irresponsibly.
Me: the way i understood it, i can drive through RI with the gun as long as i don't stop and get out carrying it anywhere.
Cop 1: you can drive through, but you said you stopped at your girl's house
Me: yes but i didn't carry it in with me, i locked it in my gun vault box which you probably saw in the trunk?
Cop 1: i did see that....well in the future, if your going to be driving through RI, keep it on your person concealed. if it's not on your person, it needs to be unloaded and locked in that box.
Me: i understand
Cop 2: i am issuing you a ticket for speeding, i indicated 65 in a 55 zone, fine is $95. please sign for me
Cop 1: i'm going to put the magazine in your glove box, and the gun in your trunk
Me: okay

he literally just placed the gun in my trunk, not in the lock box, slide open, and closed the trunk lid. handed me my licenses & reg.

Cop 1: have a great night, be safe, slow it down a bit
Me: thanks

sooooo yeaahhhh, catastrophe avoided??? i thought i was going to jail, i know i was on the edge cuz i didn't have a non-resident RI permit. although i feel they searched my car unlawfully, i'm glad i went home to my bed.

Last edited:
I'm no lawyer but that didn't seem like reason to search or a fair way to detain someone. If they had tried to arrest you, all of this would have came out in court and wouldn't have looked good for them.

Play the lottery today....

You broke the law and got away with it. In MA putting a loaded gun under your seat out of your direct control would have been a storage violation.

Spend $15 on a gun bag and lock, use it when you visit RI.

You are incredibly lucky. RI's law does not allow you to carry from your GF's house. The law is actually very clear. Basically FOPA but allowing you to carry on your person.

Next time:

Cop 1: i stopped you for speeding, license and reg please
Me: *crickets*

i don't think giving them a cold shoulder would have helped this situation....they were gonna search my car regardless. Acura with 19" wheels out of state at 1am?? they thought i was up to something. i knew i was violating law as far as the gun was concerned so i was honest and cooperated.

i find it interesting that he told me how to go about carrying in RI....he told me if i'm driving through it chould be on me concealed. if it's not on me to unload it and lock it in my gun vault in the trunk.

NEVER take legal advice from the police!

If you are driving thru any state other than MA it needs to be unloaded in a locked container. If you are driving thru NY you are still (most likely) going to jail.

i find it interesting that he told me how to go about carrying in RI....he told me if i'm driving through it chould be on me concealed. if it's not on me to unload it and lock it in my gun vault in the trunk.

I wouldn't trust a LEO's verbal statement for what the law is. Find the laws as they are published and read them for yourself. I think they have it mostly correct, but I am not a lawyer and I trust a very select group of people to what the actual law is.

It wasn't an unlawful search one you said you have a weapon in your car and you have a MA LTC, you could have just kept your mouth shut

i told them about the weapon AFTER i consented the search, cuz i figured they would find it. it wasn't unlawful at that point because i consented, no cuz i told them about the gun. i'm just wondering if i had said NO to search and not mentioned the gun, what would have happened then??

although, even after i TOLd them where it was, they still couldn't find it!! hahaha....he prob would have searched and not even had found the gun, but i wasn't gonna take that risk.

i don't think giving them a cold shoulder would have helped this situation....they were gonna search my car regardless. Acura with 19" wheels out of state at 1am?? they thought i was up to something. i knew i was violating law as far as the gun was concerned so i was honest and cooperated.

You posted later that you consented to the search? You are a lucky shit. Never talk to the police!

[video=youtube_share;6wXkI4t7nuc]http://youtu.be/6wXkI4t7nuc[/video]

NEVER take legal advice from the police!

If you are driving thru any state other than MA it needs to be unloaded in a locked container. If you are driving thru NY you are still (most likely) going to jail.

Wrong. I drive through RI every day carrying concealed. I have the RI laws in my glove box. As long as you are licensed in MA and passing through you are ok to CCW. Go to the RI laws section if you have any doubts.

Thats really interesting if true, can you post a link please? RI does not officially recognize MA LTC's right?

You would have no protection under FOPA?

Wrong. I drive through RI every day carrying concealed. I have the RI laws in my glove box. As long as you are licensed in MA and passing through you are ok to CCW. Go to the RI laws section if you have any doubts.

Last edited:

He is right that you should never take legal advice from the police.

Back
Top Bottom