My shooting inconsistencies are really starting to get on my nerves.

Apparently not nearly enough. I know that there are some very good instructors on the board here so perhaps it is time to get them involved. [thinking]

I would do that before continuing to burn ammo with no real understanding of what is going on.

Especially given your statement that you were one-holing it when you shot IDPA this sounds like the most reasonable one yet - assuming it's not an eye issue. When you were playing IDPA you weren't over-thinking your shots and were letting your body do the work for you.

I think you quoted the wrong person, I've never shot IDPA. But that does get me thinking- when I shoot fast I do get much more accurate- less precise, but much closer to the center of the target.

Try this, get a high hand grip, squeeze front to back using only your middle, ring and pinky
fingers of your gun hand. Then squeeze the trigger as if you were wringing out a sponge.
Your thumb should be resting alongside not applying any pressure on the gun at all. GOOD LUCK!

I have found this true for myself.

Align your sights on the target with both eyes open. Concentrate on that front sight, even if you have to repeat "Front Sight, Front Sight" to yourself. Focus on the front sight with your eyes, concentrate on the front sight with your mind. You will see double at first, but everything will merge into one picture and your front sight will be on target. The target will appear a little blurry, but it is supposed to anyway because you can only focus on one thing at a time.

What I have found is the concentration to accomplish this, puts your body into excellent fundamentals. Excitement turns into calmness.

You are not thinking about the muzzle's movement.
You are not thinking about rushing the shot.

You are just looking at that crisply focused front sight sitting in the middle of your target.

You can't help but calmly squeezing the trigger.

Concentrate on that front sight, even if you have to repeat "Front Sight, Front Sight" to yourself. Focus on the front sight with your eyes, concentrate on the front sight with your mind.

I found this to be incredibly helpful this Saturday when I went shooting. I was able to put a full 9 round magazine in the center circle at 25 feet by focusing only on the front sight. It is helping eliminate my muzzle dip as well.

Works left handed too.

Yes and there is no sight movement so all the invisible bullets hit their target [wink] I have not done it while at the range.

First off. I think you shoot better than you give yourself credit.
My suggestions:

1. Talk with you eye doctor and see if something is going on. Can you get that front sight crystal clear? Astigmatism? etc.

2. You make good groups for the speed your shooting, Slow down alot, shoot some bulls eye. The first thing I remember thinking when I worked with you was that you seemed to be shooting fast. If your not happy with your accuracy shoot for accuracy and let the speed come later.

3. It's tricky to work on breath control and arc of motion when you are shooting too fast.

4. Break the rhythm, You talked about a round a second, Are you shooting, Bang ,bang, bang. With equal time between. You may be too worried about your rhythm that you actually are sending the round when other fundamentals are not correct.

ETA: 5. In between shots, Take a few minutes and let your eye's focus on something far away. This will give the muscles in your eye a break.

6. Watch your arc of motion when doing your dry fire drills and see what type of breath control best works for you..

We can meet up again if you wish. I have one more trick I want to try on you..

Last edited:
I think every one should learn bullseye shooting first.then go play the games.
with bullseye you have to concentrate.

The most important fundamentals are very similar-

Trigger control,
Sight picture,
Stance / shooting platform

You need to master these standing still before shooting on the move, with cover, etc.

This might help you. I printed it out and actually use it as a target.

wheel.gif

Back
Top Bottom