My S&W M&P 9mm is jamming, jamming, jamming.. anybody else?

Hello,

First off, let me say I'm new to shooting. The Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm Full size is my first firearm. I have been learning from a friend who has been shooting for years. He has TWO M&P's and they both work flawlessly, and are very accurate. They are the reason I bought the M&P 9mm FS. But I have had nothing but problems since I purchased it new in Oct of 2011.

My initial problem was failure to extract, on multiple occassions. After being unable to diagnose, I sent it back to S&W. They executed a repair "barrel work", and sent it back. Now I get stovepipe jamms, or the follower hangs up on the mag release hole in the mag and the follower doesn't push cartridges up. I can't go through 20 shots without a jam, on either of my mags. I have ordered another mag, but have been waiting for almost a month for S&W to fill backorders. I can put endless rounds through my buddies M&P9C or his M&P.40, I doubt I'm limp wristing. My gun jams on whomever shoots it.

It's going back to S&W again for repair as soon I can get ahold of customer support.

So my question is.... anybody else see this behavior? Do I just have a bad egg? or is this indicative of the M&P 9 FS?
I'd appreciate any feedback you might have.

Best Regards,
Dave
[sad]

I don't think that this is indicative of the M&P Series of pistols, for example I have a .45 MP and it has never jammed on me. I think the problem is simply that you got a lemon, and every manufacture of goods produces these, some more than others, but so far the M&P has a good track record.

Now I know that S&W has a good warranty, but might I make a suggestion? Contact gunsmith Greg Duerr about this problem. He is rapidly becoming THE MAN for the M&P in this neck of the woods and has worked on police department M&Ps. If nothing else, let him diagnose the problem, see what he might charge to fix it, or simply let him diagnose the problem, pay whatever he wants for a "consultation" let S&W know and have them fix it.

Another option is to sell the gun and get another one. This is not characteristic of this model, and if it were S&W would not be enjoying the success they are having with it, if it were otherwise.

i've owned 3 of them (9, 9c and a 40. not a single problem with any.... each gun saw 1k to 1500 rounds with nothing more than a cleaning every couple few hundred rounds... my 9c had some issues with cheap "range safe" chineese marked boxes....

the reason i sold or traded them was to fund other projects as mass hole, so these weren't carry guns.

Send it to Smith directly. I had an issue with one of their guns and they were more than happy to take care of it.

It's already been back to the factory once. My experience with S&W is that if they don't fix it right the first time, then it turns into an "issue" and nobody walks away happy, neither the owner nor S&W. Eventually they just give up and allow the customer to walk (usually to the nearest gun store where the soon to be ex-Smith owner buys another brand and forever damns Smith and Wesson.) YMMV...

hang in there Dave, S&W has the finest support in the gun world. Your gun has a lifetime warrantee, they will get it right for you. I own 4 of the M&P's with thousands of round through all of them. Zero problems and just a blast to shoot. Give Smith the opportunity, in the end you'll be a happy guy. No need to spend a dime to have anyone else look at it, don't get pushed into any bad decisions. Be kewl, enjoy your friends M&P's, S&W is on a holiday break I believe, so give em a week to get back to work.. good luck, if I can help, let me know

have you tried different types of ammo? i've fed over a thousand rounds through my M&P9 without a single failure of any type. all different types from Winchester white box crud to high priced personal defense rounds.

second to say you shouldve bought a Glock, then you could have just blown it up out of the box... and then bought the M&P... type "glock kaboom" into your explorer....

GlockKaboom.jpg

second to say you shouldve bought a Glock, then you could have just blown it up out of the box... and then bought the M&P... type "glock kaboom" into your explorer....

GlockKaboom.jpg

Only on 40S&W. M&P will go boomka too. Just stay off 40S&W. [laugh]

Sent from my iPhone 5.

I have a M&P9c with well over 2000 rounds down range, various types and have not had an issue. I am hoping to add a 9FS next Wednesday. The M&P is popular with a lot of the guys i shoot with and other than a trigger job, no issues I know of.

I just did a real quik search on the S&W forum and did not come accross a thread on this problem there either.

I have dealt with S&W with my 1911ss 45acp and they were great to deal with and short turn around.

Hang in there, give S&W another call after the holidays and they'll get this right for you.

Another friend of mine had issues of rounds not chambering in his 1911ss and after 2 unsuccesful attempts to fix it they sent him a new gun.

Hope things turn out ok for you!!

My M&P9 full size had similar issues. I sent it back to S&W and they made it better, but it still wasn't as good as I thought it should be.

What kind of ammo are you using? Mine had problems with UMC and Blazer aluminum which are both pretty weak. It did fine with stronger ammo. I suggest trying some stronger and/or heavier (124 or 147gr) ammo.

I ended up selling mine and I don't miss it. That said, plenty of people like them.

Hello,

First off, let me say I'm new to shooting. The Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm Full size is my first firearm. I have been learning from a friend who has been shooting for years. He has TWO M&P's and they both work flawlessly, and are very accurate. They are the reason I bought the M&P 9mm FS. But I have had nothing but problems since I purchased it new in Oct of 2011.

My initial problem was failure to extract, on multiple occassions. After being unable to diagnose, I sent it back to S&W. They executed a repair "barrel work", and sent it back. Now I get stovepipe jamms, or the follower hangs up on the mag release hole in the mag and the follower doesn't push cartridges up. I can't go through 20 shots without a jam, on either of my mags. I have ordered another mag, but have been waiting for almost a month for S&W to fill backorders. I can put endless rounds through my buddies M&P9C or his M&P.40, I doubt I'm limp wristing. My gun jams on whomever shoots it.

It's going back to S&W again for repair as soon I can get ahold of customer support.

So my question is.... anybody else see this behavior? Do I just have a bad egg? or is this indicative of the M&P 9 FS?
I'd appreciate any feedback you might have.

Best Regards,
Dave
[sad]

If your mag follower is hanging up on the "mag release" hole (I assume you mean the notch for the mag catch) you will have nothing but problems. You need to solve the mag problem first before you can address any other problems. This should be fairly easy; just remove any burrs in this area and check the follower for binding in the mag tube. These are procedures that you can do yourself before you send the pistol back again. The follower is plastic and can be easily trimmed to fit and a little graphite will reduce friction in the mag tube.

Thanks for all the replies.. and offers to help.
So to answer a few questions...
1 - The gun was already sent to Smith & Wesson. They turned it around quickly, unfortunately, maybe it has an additional mag problem in addition to the barrel problem S&W identified??
2 - Yes, It had been suggested that I try different ammo.. So far the M&P 9 has jammed with Winchester, MagTech, and Federal ammo.
3 - I do not believe that limp-wristing is a problem... I have shot several other guns, including 2 other M&P's - I only have jamming issues with my M&P. Also, my M&P has jammed with two other shooters.

I think I'll take some your advice and send it back to S&W for a 2nd repair. Even if I decided to sell, I can't do it with a clean conscience in its current condition - so back to S&W it goes.
I have been doing some web research and it appears that stove-piping is a problem on M&P 9mm.. well... at least others have seen it. I haven't read a report of anyone else seeing the magazine follower catching on the mag release hole.

Thanks for the feedback, and Merry Christmas,
Dave

Good suggestion Old Glory... unfortunately, my buddy has a M&P 9 compact, and an M&P .40 full size..... neither compatible with with my M&P 9 full-size.

A Glock?

first to say shouldve bought a glock

Thanks Steve,
But I think if this 2nd trip to the S&W factory doesn't fix it - I'll be trading for a Springfield XDM 5.25" bitone.... mmmm... sexy :)
I hope it doesn't come to that though... My buddy has lots and lots and lots of rounds through his M&P .40 and 9C... I must've just got a bad one. I hope S&W will make it right.
-Dave

If it has already been back, send it to a competent gunsmith, not S&W. Might cost a few bucks to get it to run, but will save you the frustration of sending to to the parts changers in Springfield.

B

Good suggestion Old Glory... unfortunately, my buddy has a M&P 9 compact, and an M&P .40 full size..... neither compatible with with my M&P 9 full-size.

How bout you take your buddies upper slide complete and put it on your lower reciever and vice a versa... you can further narrow it down...

If you want to come down to westord sportsmens club sometime I've got 3 1/2 9mm m&ps, 14 magazines, and a bunch of different ammo we could try.

That's very kind of you. I am concerned that my M&P is not MA legal? Nor do i have a CC permit for MA.. So far it has not left the friendly confines of NH.

That's very kind of you. I am concerned that my M&P is not MA legal? Nor do i have a CC permit for MA.. So far it has not left the friendly confines of NH.

Please don't confuse our idiotic gun laws with regard to purchasing handguns in Mass. A dealer cannot sell you a non-MA compliant handgun, but there is nothing preventing you from owning one. The person who gets busted is the dealer for selling it to you. In other words if you moved from another state with whatever handguns you have you are perfectly legal, or if you have a Mass non-resident permit you can have any handgun. Any handguns not on the infamous lists that were made before a certain date in 1998 are legal to transfer from a dealer if they were in the state prior to the cut-off date and anyone who is not a dealer can sell you a newer handgun not on the "infamous" lists provided that you are both residents and are otherwise licensed to carry a handgun (LTCA for so-called hi cap handguns, and LTC-B for low capacity handguns.)

The real issue are high capacity magazines (more than ten rounds). Anything manufactured after a specific date in 1994 are illegal. Since the MP9 is a new gun, there are no magazines that are hi-cap that would be legal. If on the other hand, you had say, a Browning Hi-Power you could have all the hi-cap mags you wanted provided they were made before the cut-off date.

The next issue is that you would have problems bringing the handgun into Mass without a MA non-resdient LTC, unless you are part of an organized shooting match. One way you could alleviate this would be for someone to meet you in NH with a Mass LTC and then at the border have them assume control of the pistol. If you have any Mass friends who could do this for you, you would then be good to go, and just be sure to leave your hi-cap magazines behind. If you used their magazines, and had no problems, then you would know that it was a magazine problem.

Perhaps a much simpler solution would be for someone in Mass who has an MP9mm to meet you in NH and shoot there and you could try their magazines and vice-versa. Another possibility would be for you go to the Manchester Firing Line and see about renting one of their MP9s (call first to make sure that they are available) and use their magazines in your gun and vice-versa.

Perhaps some good hearted NES member in NH with an MP9 could meet up with the OP and try different combinations of pistol and magazines.

I'd like to help you but I don't have an MP9 [sad] otherwise I'd meet you in NH or bring the gun down here for you.

Please refer to the Mass gun law section of this Forum. It is all explained there.

Last edited:
Stop limp-wristing

I find this excuse to be pure BS 99% of the time, whether it's a Glock, M&P, or otherwise that is malfing. It's usually the gun, unless the shooter is like 98 years old and has the hand strength of a toddler, limp wristing is improbable most of the time. If I want to purposely limp wrist a gun (eg, to -make- it malf) I have to hold it so loosely it'd be considered a dangerous condition by most. There are some exceptions here and there- eg, POSes like the Seecamp .32, etc, where if you don't death grip them, they will malf, but for something like an M&P.... no way.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom