my mosin nagants

so this past week i made my first C&R purchase, a m44...my second mosin

took some pics of it with my 91/30, and here they are

IMAG0824.jpg

IMAG0826.jpg

IMAG0827.jpg

so what i got was a 1944 model made at izhevsk....

after seeing the 44 next to the 91/30 i decided to refinish the 44 as well, im sure its gonna be a fantastic shooter but some numbers are mismatched and its counter bored, and it was made at izhevsk so its not all that rare

so i busted out the stripper this morning and this is the gorgeous blond i found under the disgusting, old red shellac finish

IMAG0836.jpg

im pissed it looks like the hand guard doesent seem to be the original one but i'll get over it. im also unsure about the stock if its been repaired or thats how they were made?

heres a bonus pic of how my 91/30 came out when i did it
IMAG0837.jpg

i love the grain

Last edited:
Beautiful!!!! how about one more picture close up?
what did you use for stain? or did you use tung oil?

The one thing I don't like about the rearsenalled mosins is that they chip if you just look at them.

ill bust out my digital SLR when the 44 is done and get some nice pics of both

i used minwax colonial maple on the 91/30 and think i'll use the same on the 44, i did 4 coats of stain followed by 4 coats of minwax wipe on satin poly, it came out EPIC....the 91/30 wood was really dark under the stock finish, when the 44 is done it will be the same color as the top hand guard piece on the 91/30

i really really enjoy refinishing these, its a fun process that takes me about a week

when ive shot my 91/30 i had 0 problems w/ the bolt sticking or more cosmo seeping out of the wood

Nice start... you can never have too many. I think it would be a good idea for Martin to take a family photo of his Mosins, but I know he does not have any vacation days coming up soon. :)

Back
Top Bottom