• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My letter to Representative Naughton and Senator Flanagan

Joe G

NES Member
Here's what I just sent off via email. I plan to follow it up with hardcopy. Feel free to reuse as appropriate.

---------
Dear Representative Naughton and Senator Flanagan,

I am writing to tell you that I am strongly opposed to the gun laws proposed by Governor Patrick. The Governor is attempting to restrict the civil rights of lawful gun owners based on the misuse of firearms by criminals and the insane. Similar legislation applied to our other civil rights would require us to walk into a movie theater with duct tape on our mouths for fear that we might shout "FIRE", or would limit the number of acceptable religions to Methodist, Presbyterian, and Catholic because nobody needs more than 3 ways to worship God.

What the Governor and other legislators are trying to do is immoral, and illegal according to our Constitution. Passage of these proposals would make potential criminals out of me and many other law abiding citizens for no good cause. As a person with some knowledge of firearms I could go point by point and explain what is wrong with the proposed laws. But that would make this letter so long that I am sure you would not read it. I would urge you instead to meet with GOAL representatives who can educate you on the issues at hand.

Instead of attempting to pass ineffective legislation proposed by the ignorant and fearful I would ask you to consider the alternatives which have been proposed by GOAL and sponsored by Representative Peterson. Their changes clearly distinguish between lawful use and criminal misuse. Their changes address inequities in the current laws and treat lawful gun owners with the respect due all citizens, while punishing the criminal.

In closing I ask that you do not pass ineffective and restrictive feel-good legislation all in the name of "we have to do something about guns." I ask you to take a tough stand and recognize that you must not deprive a people of their civil rights based on the actions of the criminal and the insane. I would be happy to follow up with you on this topic or pleased to have you speak to GOAL as you consider legislation about firearms.

Sincerely,

Nice letter. Keep the pressure and notes going to Flanagan. I called and spoke to her aide, others have as well and she refuses to answer in any way her stance. Until she does, I think she will vote for more control.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Nice letter. Keep the pressure and notes going to Flanagan. I called and spoke to her aide, others have as well and she refuses to answer in any way her stance. Until she does, I think she will vote for more control.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I agree. I received this very non-commiting response from her:

Dear Matt,

Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding gun control legislation. I plan on taking a close look at the legislation proposed before I vote on this issue. I look forward to a thoughtful debate about public safety as it pertains to firearms as we review the bill. I have received many calls and emails from gun owners and understand the concerns of responsible, licensed individuals. I appreciate your support and for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

Respectfully,

Jennifer L. Flanagan
State Senator
Worcester & Middlesex District

I think we need to keep the pressure on her.

Back
Top Bottom