• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My latest adoption - M49 Persian Mauser Carbine

USMA-82

NES Member
Recent addition to the fold, courtesy of my C&R. This is the carbine version of the Persian 98/29 in 8mm Mauser. This particular carbine was manufactured in Iran (formerly Persia), and is similar to it's Czech-manufactured cousin, the M30.

Handy little rifle, shoots a relatively inexpensive milsurp caliber, and makes TREMENDOUS fireballs when shooting:

M49017.jpg

M49007.jpg

M49005.jpg

M49004.jpg

M49016.jpg

I'm thinking this thing might be a primo pumpkin buster!
I guess we'll have to see!

Damn you Ken, another gun to add to the list. Very nice though! Did it come with the bayo?

Outstanding addition...hey aren't you the guy who told me I had to slow down on my purchases or I would hurt myself[wink].....very nice....very nice indeed!!

My Persian long rifle is the best shooting of the Mausers I have also. I load the 200gr SMK's and the rifle is capable of just a hair over 1'' if I can see the target to keep the aiming point consistant. I do find that mine likes to have a warm up fouling shot or two before going for group. In 2004 I was the 3rd place foreign rifle at the Vintage match at Perry with this rifle.

Just thought about this... the Port. 198gr stuff on stripper clips from the '70's is great shooting stuff too, if you can find it.

Joe R.

OK Ken....now you have done it.. I found one at a local shop and made an offer. If I do buy it I am going to blame you for going broke.[laugh]

The good thing is that it is located in a small shop in northern N.H. so no sales tax...take that Deval Patrick.. you DOLT[rofl]

Fred:

Love those small gun shops in New Hampshire! That's where I found my $365 Venezuelan FN-49... that is, until the owner said he'd let it go for $265.... along with a .50 cal ammo can of 7mm mauser rounds.

The only problems I see with collecting these old beauties are:

1) The constant threat of rust - no matter what I do to prevent it.

2) The fact that in the event of a TEOTWAWKI situation, I'd probably have to leave many of them behind

3) My wife might find out how many I actually have some day.

Of course, of the three scenarios, the third is the scariest.

Good luck, Fred!

Every Persian Mauser I have seen (maybe a half-dozen) has been in great condition and it looks like yours is no exception. I'd like to own it.

Fred:

Love those small gun shops in New Hampshire! That's where I found my $365 Venezuelan FN-49... that is, until the owner said he'd let it go for $265.... along with a .50 cal ammo can of 7mm mauser rounds.

The only problems I see with collecting these old beauties are:

1) The constant threat of rust - no matter what I do to prevent it.

2) The fact that in the event of a TEOTWAWKI situation, I'd probably have to leave many of them behind

3) My wife might find out how many I actually have some day.

Of course, of the three scenarios, the third is the scariest.

Good luck, Fred!

My answer to number 3...........DIVORCE, prior to divorce...MOVE guns[laugh]

Back
Top Bottom