• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My first time going through the Fun House at Gunsite

JimConway

Instructor
Guys
I do not know if this story from my 250C class is funny or not, but I sure learned something.
I was going through the fun House with Ed Stock right behind me. At the end of the fun House I was very happy with my run. As Ed and I started going from target to target, I was seeing good hits and Ed was saying so. The we came to the first target that I had shot. It was the standard photo hostage target with a guy behind a woman with his arm over her shoulder holding her. My shot was right between the eyes guys. Wow. Then Ed pointed out that the guy did not have a weapon. Damn!!! Ed then spent the next 10 minutes (it seemed much much longer) pointing out the error of my ways, in clear and colorful language. The next evening I thanked Ed over a few beers and a cigar.

I have told this story a number of times. A few folks that I told it to, told me that the instructor was way out of line for talking that way to a student. I said no, Ed may have just saved me from a whole bunch of nastiness and maybe from having a roommate named Bubba.

I know that not knowing Ed Stock hurts this tale. Ed is a legendary firearms instructor. Ed and his brother Giles, were listed by Jeff Cooper as two of the best instructors that he had ever known. Aside from Gunsite, both of the Stock brothers worked for the Arizona State Police with assignments in SWAT and the Bomb squad

Back
Top Bottom