My first .44 Magnum

depicts

Army Veteran
NES Member
At the Mansfield Shoot, 1776 let me shoot his .454. It convinced me I could handle a .44 Mag. I traded for this gun from registered member Rustyst. It's a 1972 Smith and Wesson Model 29-2, 4", nickel. I shot it today for the first time. I started with 30 .44 specials, and then fired 18 .44 Magnums at 50 feet with a tentative 2 hand hold. This is my last target. The reflections in the gun don't show off its almost perfect nickel finish, but I'll post a glamor shot after I clean it up. I have the correct football target grips for the gun, but I put on rubber to get used to shooting the "Mighty .44". [smile][smile][smile]
CIMG1837.jpg

Nice gun and nice target as well. I too am looking for one of those guns for my collection.

Look out, here comes Dirty Harry. [smile]

My first .44mag was a Desert Eagle. [smile]

I do like the caliber though, and that is a very nice wheel gun you got there.

That is a beautiful revolver. I'm jealous. Nice shooting too.

If you shoot it more, you'll get used to it. I really like the zen of shooting big bore magnums.

.44s are for whimps. Stick to the .454.

No "H" in wimps, and I sprinkle .454s on my breakfast cereal.

[rofl][laugh2]

Bill,

That is so sweet. You hit the target pretty well too from the looks of it. Did you have to sight it in?

That's a snappy piece Bill! I'm most impressed. You've pried yourself away from the mouse guns for a change I see. [wink] Absolutely love the finish. Platinum is a slammin finish for a revolver.

That looks really uncomfortable, doesn't that grind into your side all day?

I can see where one would get that impression. Most people who carry have never carried a revolver, and those who do probably have never carried a large frame revolver.

Revolvers have rounded contours that nicely snug up against the body and cause virtually no discomfort. Even with the leather holster in the bottom picture, which does not have a side guard to keep the frame behind the cylinder off me. I do always wear a T shirt underneath, but I do that no matter what I carry.

For the record, I have yet to find an IWB holster (and I have tried many) that can make a semi auto (M&P, 915) as comfortable as a revolver in the same kind of holster. In fact, I just returned an IWB holster for my M&P because it was unbearably uncomfortable. I am waiting for an OWB pancacke from O'Rourke Leather to see if I can finally carry a semi all day without discomfort.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an old Ruger flattop 44. They are great to shoot 44 specials all day, and I have some light reloads in .44 mag as well. Every once in a while it's fun to put some hot loads through it. It's definitely an attention getter, and if I could only keep one of my handguns, that would have to be the one I'd keep. I could never sell it.

Back
Top Bottom