• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

my chinese "knockoffs" are here!

But I’ve never held a real one. lol.
neither have i, until last night. went to a neighbors house to look at his chinese "micra" otf blade he received last week and was impressed. held it together with a real $375 microtech he owns and would have a problem telling them apart. i'm sure a microtech addict could, but me, nah. the logo screened on the knife was a perfect copy. the knife is referred to as a micratech, lol. the spring action was very good. did have a faint hollow ring when deployed and the real one didn't. the steel obviously has to be the money. the fake had the steel listed as 7Cr17MoV. i had to google it, never heard of it before. just a low end chinese steel. comments on blade forum were fairly positive for what it is.

as for microtech, they say this about their blade steel in their FAQ section from their web site..
"All of our knife blades are made of either CTS-204P, M390, Elmax, or CTS-XHP. We select blade steels for knives based on availability.
If the knife steel is not marked on your knife, the only way we can identify which specific steel it is made of is by having your knife in hand at our facility."
and i was surprised. some of their steels are just listed as "premium steel". wtf! on a $300-$400+ knife. i dunno, expected better. but you gonna be aware of how good it is after using it.
No issues at all.
curious, what issues might you be expecting? not calling you out, just curious, like a child i am. were you talking the transaction, or knife operation? customs?

neither have i, until last night. went to a neighbors house to look at his chinese "micra" otf blade he received last week and was impressed. held it together with a real $375 microtech he owns and would have a problem telling them apart. i'm sure a microtech addict could, but me, nah. the logo screened on the knife was a perfect copy. the knife is referred to as a micratech, lol. the spring action was very good. did have a faint hollow ring when deployed and the real one didn't. the steel obviously has to be the money. the fake had the steel listed as 7Cr17MoV. i had to google it, never heard of it before. just a low end chinese steel. comments on blade forum were fairly positive for what it is.

as for microtech, they say this about their blade steel in their FAQ section from their web site..
"All of our knife blades are made of either CTS-204P, M390, Elmax, or CTS-XHP. We select blade steels for knives based on availability.
If the knife steel is not marked on your knife, the only way we can identify which specific steel it is made of is by having your knife in hand at our facility."
and i was surprised. some of their steels are just listed as "premium steel". wtf! on a $300-$400+ knife. i dunno, expected better. but you gonna be aware of how good it is after using it.

curious, what issues might you be expecting? not calling you out, just curious, like a child i am. were you talking the transaction, or knife operation? customs?
Mainly just not getting it,,, Or no communication, that kind of stuff. Took about 2-3 weeks tho. Got a tracking number when it was shipped

Mainly just not getting it,,, Or no communication, that kind of stuff. Took about 2-3 weeks tho. Got a tracking number when it was shipped
mine, a bit over 2 weeks although they estimated a month. i was impressed with china post, lol. travel time would have been super fast if no custom stops. china customs, in/out in 24 hours. u.s. customs, in/out 6 days and they opened and inspected, chinese customs didn't. probably just dog sniffed and/or x-rayed in the peoples republic. they might have figured we have enough problems over here now days, they didn't want to add to my woes by holding my stuff in customs.

i like your knife. have you touched up the edge yet?

mine, a bit over 2 weeks although they estimated a month. i was impressed with china post, lol. travel time would have been super fast if no custom stops. china customs, in/out in 24 hours. u.s. customs, in/out 6 days and they opened and inspected, chinese customs didn't. probably just dog sniffed and/or x-rayed in the peoples republic. they might have figured we have enough problems over here now days, they didn't want to add to my woes by holding my stuff in customs.

i like your knife. have you touched up the edge yet?
I haven’t done anything to it. It seems pretty sharp!!!

I got two of the smith and Wessons that were on clearance for $18 a piece free shipping I believe a year ago.

Razor sharp!!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_8248.jpeg
    IMG_8248.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8249.jpeg
    IMG_8249.jpeg
    700.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8250.jpeg
    IMG_8250.jpeg
    746.8 KB · Views: 13
I got two of the smith and Wessons that were on clearance for $18 a piece free shipping I believe a year ago.

Razor sharp!!!!!!
i was just coming in to page you on that knife order. is this it? i'm confused. my old mans brain is trying to...well, what does this mean, please.
I believe a year ago.
these are not the knives you ordered the other week? or something that just showed up after a year. i see aus8 steel. you know, i love how easy that steel sharpens up to razor sharp...arm hair shaving sharp. not a bad thing in a dagger style. hows the action when it opens? i like the style, reminiscent of early microtechs, no?

i have a s&w hawkbill slasher, 440c steel, from their "special ops" line. yeah, had no clue they had a spec ops knife line. below is a generic photo. got it at the wilmington show several years ago cheap. maybe 10 bucks. i carry it when i don't have my lightning dagger with me. they say slashing is more effective than plunging between ribs. dunno, but i'd hate either if i was on the losing end of a knife fight.

1692564360496.png

i was just coming in to page you on that knife order. is this it? i'm confused. my old mans brain is trying to...well, what does this mean, please.

these are not the knives you ordered the other week? or something that just showed up after a year. i see aus8 steel. you know, i love how easy that steel sharpens up to razor sharp...arm hair shaving sharp. not a bad thing in a dagger style. hows the action when it opens? i like the style, reminiscent of early microtechs, no?

i have a s&w hawkbill slasher, 440c steel, from their "special ops" line. yeah, had no clue they had a spec ops knife line. below is a generic photo. got it at the wilmington show several years ago cheap. maybe 10 bucks. i carry it when i don't have my lightning dagger with me. they say slashing is more effective than plunging between ribs. dunno, but i'd hate either if i was on the losing end of a knife fight.

View attachment 787358
No, these came quick from S&W. It was a year or so ago when I believe the link was posted here when they were on clearance..My buddy had to order them tho because they wouldn’t ship them to MA. 😂😂

2 of the 3 knifes showed up today. Only took a quick look so far but they don't seem half bad, even though the "Benchmade" knife came in a "Microtech" box. 🤣

Took a better look. Top left is the "Benchmade" in a Microtech box no less and it's huge, like holding a hammer handle in your hand. It also has this cheesy spring twang when opened and closed. Top right is the Microtech clone, actually not a bad fit and feel and the action is pretty nice as well. The quality compared to the real deal though, no comparison! But for the price point, it's a bargain and a beater. This one will be reserved for when I carry my .40 and want to feel special.
There is one more clone on the way that looked very close to the real deal. I will make another comparison post when it shows up.
Bottom center is a real deal Microtech for comparison.
IMG_5267.jpeg IMG_5268.jpeg

i'm always surprised at the quality of the boxes. i remember when spyderco was battling fakes, the graphics were spot on. the speculation was they were getting them from the same box manufacturer. and that vendor sold to them. never could understand that business practice, selling those boxes to known pirates... i see the chinese are selling what looks like a very good knock off of the knife that launched them into a knife company, the worker. finding a nib worker now is a score. but they are putting it into a current spyderco box instead of a copy of the boring original box.

The last clone showed up, it's surprisingly not bad at all. You can certainly see the differences from the real deal, but if I didn't already own a real one I could have been fooled. Far left is the real deal.
IMG_1972.jpeg

i often think if china's politics were different we'd be singing a different tune regarding chinese manufactured goods. they also fill that niche that people, especially americans, want what they can't afford. hence the "knockoff", or i believe the chinese call that fantasy goods.

americans also think of economics differently. they think it's horrible a country, in this case china, pays it's workers the prevailing wage in that country. americans want those workers to be paid a minimum wage, $15/hr., and that would skew their, china's, economy by making instant millionaires of every person on the workforce. the chinese seem happy. americans tell them they are not. this country, the u.s., feels the need to bully other countries to fall in step with it.

but yeah, a lot of chinese goods are top quality. it's just their brand, china, could use some polishing on the world stage.
I don't see thousands of people at the border of China trying to live there, but I see thousands of people trying to get into America and a whole bunch of chinese people included. Ask the Weggers how they feel about the Chinese economy. By the way I like the a k c chinese knives they're built very well.

I don't see thousands of people at the border of China trying to live there, but I see thousands of people trying to get into America and a whole bunch of chinese people included. Ask the Weggers how they feel about the Chinese economy. By the way I like the a k c chinese knives they're built very well.
china's population is 1,425,671,352 according to wiki. good thing it's only a "whole bunch" trying to get in and not the whole hoard. and flattered you joined today just to post that tidbit of information, thanks, quite a compliment you wanting to quote my post. now spend the 24 bucks and go green.

I grabbed a Benchmade Claymore from Wish for 13$, surprisingly very decent. Best part it is that the order went longer that 30 days and they issued me a full refund per their guaranteed delivery date. Showed up 2 days after that, so free!

Benchmade Osborne 9400. $310 list
$45 off a FB ad. I'm not sure if it was simply a closeout or a knockoff.

View attachment 802218View attachment 802219View attachment 802220View attachment 802221View attachment 802222View attachment 802223
The Chinese label on the box is a big giveaway, knockoff. There were multiple styles to choose from, here is just one of them. Did it come with a sheath in the box as well? All my knockoffs came with a sheath that you wouldn't normally get.
IMG_2017.jpeg

My "SOG" showed up today and I am quite impressed. I know it's a clone, but damn! There is zero slop or play in the blade, it's quick, it's sharp and very well built. Fits in the hand quite well too.
IMG_2024.jpeg IMG_2025.jpeg

Wish | Shop and Save
Thanks.
I have access to wish. Was not sure of the multiple ones there if you knew of a decent one or seller.

Ah. Was a link to the knives not just wish. Thx.

Thanks.
I have access to wish. Was not sure of the multiple ones there if you knew of a decent one or seller.

Ah. Was a link to the knives not just wish. Thx.
Honestly, I just assume they are all a craps shoot. I've ordered more than I want to admit, but they all have been pretty decent. And not so expensive that they end up safe queens.

Takes a few weeks to get to ya, but I expect a review.
Came today. 9 Days early

Only played with it for a few min. (Sorry no pics right now)

Have to say for ~$56 it’s pretty good. I have real MT OTF’s and I’m not complaining.

I’ve never handled a real HALO so…

My one big gripe is the Kydex sheath. It’s for lefty’s only imho.

That said. A real USA made sheath would cost what I paid for the knife.

I’m sure I have the coolest letter opener on the block.

UGH! Thanks for this thread.

Actually, thank you. I hate to admit it but I'm kind of a fan of cheap Chinese knives. I used to buy a dozen or so "Rough Rider" knives for friends every Christmas for like $50 total. They were beater knives that would give good service as a pocket knife for a year or two and then die, which is what I expect from a $5 knife.

Now you're telling me that the new knockoffs are actually "decent"? You had my interest at the opening page of stilettos, since I've always liked that style. But now that I can get a "Buck" automatic, you have my attention.

Christmas is coming and my family enjoys getting switchblades. Looks like I'm signing up for Wish to fill Santa's sack.

Back
Top Bottom