Municipality Land?

Anyone know the deal with hutning on the land that the major power lines run though? I'm supposing it's state owned but I'm not sure of the laws about trespassing on it. I've tried to do some searching and haven't come up with much.

if you walk far into the woods, they probably wont even care. As far as i know all the power line company cares is that the land is clear in case they need to fix the power lines.

I've seen people hunting right under the power lines before and no one got in trouble.

Check for a fence near the road where the power lines are accessed by motor vehicle. Usually the power line owner will post no trespassing signs there if they are so inclined. Yes, the state law is land must be posted, or each individual must be asked to leave failure to comply with a lawfully posted sign, or request to leave, may result in a trespassing charge. Beware of local bylaws they can be more stringent than state law.

You need to be a little bit carefull here. Sometimes the power company owns the land. Sometimes they lease a right of way over someone elses land. If it is unposted and in a town without permission requirements via bylaw then you should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom