• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH Turkey 2019: Posted land

The spot I've been hunting for about 6 years is suddenly posted. UGH. No clue where to relocate on short notice (3 weeks scout minus youth weekend.)

May end up slumming it along the powerlines someplace nearby. Not familiar with many of the local fields and I prefer not to hunt private without permission (even if not posted...bad experiences.)

Anyone else seeing their usual spots posted suddenly? I'm guessing winter snowmobile use in mine...had seen lots of signs in the area about staying on trails.

You've hunted there 6 years. Have you asked the owner who posted it for permission?

It used to be posted “open” with signs and a list of what the owner wanted and didnt (mostly snowmobile regs) but this year the entire area has huge black spraypainted “keep out” signs and a fellow hunter said the landowner came tearing down a road and confronted him with a gun when he was scouting and didnt realize he was on the property. Dont think I want to locate or engage this guy...seems unstable.

I post my land. I tear ass down the road with a suppressed AR on my ATV if I see somebody walking in to hunt. If somebody calls or stops to ask if they can hunt I generally let people hunt as long as they don’t seem retarded. You should ask the land owner, you may find out he just got tired of somebody else’s bullshit. In my case I make people text me the night before they want to hunt, I text approved or denied.

Last edited:
I'll never understand the "posting". All the land belongs to the town and we pay rent (taxes) to live there. How can you post land that you don't own? Jack.

While technically true.....the one paying the taxes to the town at the time should be able to control the land and most of what happens on it. Or why the hell would we even want to bother, if it's mandatory I let any shxtbag on and do whatever they please. Are you serious? or joking?

I post my land. I tear ass down the road with a suppressed AR on my ATV if I see somebody walking in to hunt. I’m mostly stable. If somebody calls or stops to ask if they can hunt I generally let people hunt as long as they don’t seem retarded. You should ask the land owner, you may find out he just got tired of somebody else’s bullshit. In my case I make people text me the night before they want to hunt, I text approved or denied.

I've hunted over 30 years, in most cases, people were very happy I at least came and asked, even if it wasn't posted. Even if it was posted and they didn't let me on, they were at least nice to me that I asked, I'd always leave them my card.

In a few cases, a few days, months or a year later they would call me back and say, hey, I'm kinda rethinking this, and since you were nice enough to ask, if you still want to hunt, go ahead. Most of the time, they liked that I was out there as an extra set of eyes for them, in the woods where they generally wouldn't go.

For my urban CT landowners, I always said, I was sitting in a tree overlooking their property, sure, I'm watching for deer, but I'm also watching your property at the same time. Trust that I will call if I see anything out of sorts.
They loved that stuff.

While technically true.....the one paying the taxes to the town at the time should be able to control the land and most of what happens on it. Or why the hell would we even want to bother, if it's mandatory I let any shxtbag on and do whatever they please. Are you serious? or joking?
Neither. I just don't understand it. Jack.

Neither. I just don't understand it. Jack.

I never posted my land until somebody shot over me. It was a snowy opening day and I was watching three doe cross my field, the third one was a big deer. I usually don't shoot a doe until after I have taken my buck because many times a buck will be following along to get some doe ass. As I'm watching this doe in my scope I see a red mist and for a split second I was like weird. Then I heard the report over my head. I threw that a**h*** off and posted my land that day.

Can someone clarify on what can/cannot be posted?

I dont think you can post "No tresspassing" on land that is in current use.........not sure you can post "No Hunting" on current use but am hoping someone can clarify......

Most people who have any acreage have it in current use due to tax benefit.......but doing so opens up the current use property to USE by the public

In Pennsylvania we have a program called Clean and Green, its similar to the current use status in Vermont. I have a 205 acre former dairy farm in Western PA and I pay less taxes on that than my rowhome here in Philadelphia due to Clean and Green. Clean and Green enrollment does not prevent me from posting my land. I have a small home in Warren Vermont its not enrolled in current use but I did look into the program some time ago, I don't recall any requirement to keep the land open. There were a lot of other requirements like an inspection and a use plan but I don't believe it had to be open land.

In Pennsylvania we have a program called Clean and Green, its similar to the current use status in Vermont. I have a 205 acre former dairy farm in Western PA and I pay less taxes on that than my rowhome here in Philadelphia due to Clean and Green. Clean and Green enrollment does not prevent me from posting my land. I have a small home in Warren Vermont its not enrolled in current use but I did look into the program some time ago, I don't recall any requirement to keep the land open. There were a lot of other requirements like an inspection and a use plan but I don't believe it had to be open land.

My buddy has land in VT. Looked into Current Use, or whatever its called in VT. You can post the land, but like you said there were all sorts of requirements he didn't want to deal with at the time. So he pays the higher taxes.

Honestly, he posts his land up there, but it doesn't matter, the locals do what they want, they don't care. He's taken lots of treestands down and thrown them over the property line. Does it every year just about.
He's sold a few hundred acres off because he's sick of dealing with it. At one time he thought he could have a decent hunting area that he could somewhat control, but the people up there poach at night and kill multiple bucks per person per year, when you are only supposed to take one. He's done giving a crap about it anymore....he just hunts now and will likely keep the family camp and just hunt around that.

I never posted my land until somebody shot over me. It was a snowy opening day and I was watching three doe cross my field, the third one was a big deer. I usually don't shoot a doe until after I have taken my buck because many times a buck will be following along to get some doe ass. As I'm watching this doe in my scope I see a red mist and for a split second I was like weird. Then I heard the report over my head. I threw that a**h*** off and posted my land that day.

Can't blame you at all. From what I've heard most people in PA are pretty good about allowing permission. Thats nice and all, but to me you should at least meet the landowner and say hi before you walk on. WTF. Is that too much to ask??

Honestly, If I owned major land I would post it Hunting by permission only, come see me and I'll outline some rules on what can be taken on my property, and some ground rules. That's just basic etiquette and respect for a landowner who pays taxes every year and the mortgage.

Some guys really disagree with that though, as its way too much work/ or just unneeded and you should just be able to walk all over and right thru land whether its posted or unposted. Can't wrap my head around why they feel that way either....its disrespectful to me at every level. I feel they are just lazy. But its not hard to knock on a door or leave a note with a card in it if they are not home.

If unposted, I'll generally just leave a note in their mailbox, and say, hey, I'm so and so, and I plan on hunting on your property this year, I see your land is not posted. Thanks for not posting your land, I will treat it with respect and not leave trash. Here is my phone number should you need to contact me for any reason.

Last edited:
I initially had no problems with people fishing my pond or hunting my land, but I got sick and tired of picking up broken bottles and beer cans/cigarette butts. This is why we can't have nice things. So now it's posted.

Again...Don't blame you. And a tough one for guys knocking on doors.....

Probably the #1 reason people come back with when I try and get permission....unless they are some form of Anti. Sucks too..because I know I would never do that, but the people are snakebit, and now having them trust me out of the blue is really tough. Slobs just ruin it for everyone. It can be a tough sell.

In general, I usually will knock on the door fairly well dressed, and driving a clean vehicle inside and out. That is by design, as my comeback to the littering comment is, I know people have let you down, if you care to take a look at the inside of my vehicle, that is how your land will be treated. I pride myself in keeping things clean, I don't smoke anything ever. I don't drink while hunting or on anyone else's property. If i see trash, I pick it up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom