Mosin Nagant M44 Carbine Scope Mount?

DW357

NES Member
A couple weeks ago I went up to Collectable Arms & Ammo and picked up a Mosin M44 carbine in great shape for $269.99. This is my first mosin I've ever owned. No real dings or scratches on the stock and not any rust/corrosion on the barrel and receiver that I could see. I'm not at home or else I would upload some pictures of it. Does anyone have any suggestions/advice on scope mounts, and if it's worth it or not? I did some quick googling for mosin carbine scope mounts and I definitely wouldn't want the wacky looking ones the mount on the side of the receiver and stick out to the side. If there is a scout scope mount that goes on top of the rear sight, that would be better I think. I've only shot 20 rounds through it a couple weeks ago since that's about all my shoulder could take with that metal buttplate. This rifle shoots a pretty nice fireball and recoils more than my buddy's 91/30, most likely because of the shorter barrel. I ordered a rubber buttplate on Amazon to make it a little more comfortable to shoot, so I'll be mounting that when I get home from VT.

I should probably shoot it more to see how well the iron sights are and if they are way off and need to be adjusted. I've got optics on every other rifle I own even on my norinco sks so I guess it's hard not wanting to put optics on my mosin now. Anway just looking for suggestions or links to where I can look at/buy scope mounts for my mosin. Thanks.

there are not a lot of scope mounts for Mosin rifles.

but there are scout-style scope mounts.
Rocksolid comes to mind right off the top of my head, they make desent mounts but aren't cheap. There were others too but nothing that was that great.

i personally like original side scope mount with new re-pro scope. mainly because it looks authentic and of the period.
you would need a bent bolt for that however.
another thing i like about original solution is that it's removable. quick'n'easy. which i do like. also it does not obstruct iron sights which is a huge deal at least for me.

i do not like some scout mounts personally because to me it looks ugly. a lot of them look flimsy and some of them install into rear sight base which is not best/strongest solution IMO.

but to each their own. checkout rocksolid though their mounts suppose to be the best ones, short of original ones.

Last edited:
Brass Stacker Mosin Nagant Model M9130 See Thru Scout Scope Mount club member has one of these on his 91/30 with a nice pistol scope on it. I only know of one other mosin owner who has a scope. He nocked off rear sitght, used a 3/8 to 5/8 rail adapter and mounted a cheap illuminated reticle scope.
As for recoil try a USMCX style shooting jacket and go prone. doubling up on ear protection does wonders also....have fun

there are not a lot of scope mounts for Mosin rifles.

but there are scout-style scope mounts.
Rocksolid comes to mind right off the top of my head, they make desent mounts but aren't cheap. There were others too but nothing that was that great.

i personally like original side scope mount with new re-pro scope. mainly because it looks authentic and of the period.
you would need a bent bolt for that however.
another thing i like about original solution is that it's removable. quick'n'easy. which i do like. also it does not obstruct iron sights which is a huge deal at least for me.

i do not like some scout mounts personally because to me it looks ugly. a lot of them look flimsy and some of them install into rear sight base which is not best/strongest solution IMO.

but to each their own. checkout rocksolid though their mounts suppose to be the best ones, short of original ones.

Thanks. I just looked at the rock solid mounts, yeah they're definitely not cheap at around $130 plus shipping but they look well built. So with the side mount, I would need the receiver drilled and tapped I'm assuming?

Brass Stacker Mosin Nagant Model M9130 See Thru Scout Scope Mount club member has one of these on his 91/30 with a nice pistol scope on it. I only know of one other mosin owner who has a scope. He nocked off rear sitght, used a 3/8 to 5/8 rail adapter and mounted a cheap illuminated reticle scope.
As for recoil try a USMCX style shooting jacket and go prone. doubling up on ear protection does wonders also....have fun

Thanks. The brass stacker looks like a good option, no drilling, cheaper, and don't need a bent bolt. Amazon sells the it for $64 free shipping. I'll do more research on the brass stacker and what would be a decent cheap scope to throw on it.

Most of these mounts seem like they raise the scope up quite a bit so I'm wondering if you would need a cheek riser/pad on the stock.

No I don't think I'll need a shooting jacket...yet anyways lol. I think once I put that rubber buttpad on, it should help a bit.

Last edited:
yes, firefield makes original-style mount with repro-scope. Firefield 3.5x PU Mosin-Nagant/SVT-40 Rifle Scope FREE S&H FF13024. Firefield Rifle Scopes.
around $150 for the hole thing.
you would need to drill/tap receiver and to tap holes. which is not difficult at all if you have a wise and drill press. can be done with manual drill as well as long as you have a vise.

bolt can be sent out to get rewelded into bent-bolt. i think this service costs 50 bucks.

also you would need to cut-away part of the stock if you go with original side-mount.

b10a.jpg

MosinSniperScopeMount.jpg

yes, firefield makes original-style mount with repro-scope. Firefield 3.5x PU Mosin-Nagant/SVT-40 Rifle Scope FREE S&H FF13024. Firefield Rifle Scopes.
around $150 for the hole thing.
you would need to drill/tap receiver and to tap holes. which is not difficult at all if you have a wise and drill press. can be done with manual drill as well as long as you have a vise.

bolt can be sent out to get rewelded into bent-bolt. i think this service costs 50 bucks.

also you would need to cut-away part of the stock if you go with original side-mount.

b10a.jpg

MosinSniperScopeMount.jpg

Cool thanks for the link. Nice setup you got there. Yeah I have a vice and drill, I'd probably just have to watch some YouTube videos on drilling and tapping the receiver as I've never done that before. Well I'm going to do more research on the side mount and the brass stacker mount and see what works for me.

I've got an M38 in an M44 stock and use this pad on mine
Amazon.com: Gel Filled Recoil Pads: Sports & Outdoors

First time I shot it was in just a t-shirt so virtually no padding. This pad works GREAT! I can shoot all day long with that and not have the shoulder pain like you do without a pad. Since its a carbine, its lighter and has more of a kick than its big brother.

I've got an M38 in an M44 stock and use this pad on mine
Amazon.com: Gel Filled Recoil Pads: Sports & Outdoors

First time I shot it was in just a t-shirt so virtually no padding. This pad works GREAT! I can shoot all day long with that and not have the shoulder pain like you do without a pad. Since its a carbine, its lighter and has more of a kick than its big brother.

Yeah I was shooting mine in a T-shirt as well. I like the idea of the gel filled pads, I just bought this one last week:
Amazon.com: Aim Sports Mosin Nagant 1-Inch Extended Recoil Buttpad: Sports & Outdoors

Little cheaper but I haven't mounted it or shot it yet with the new pad to see how I like it. Thanks for the link.

Yeah I looked at that version too, but I liked the slip on one so I could use it on different guns if I want and not change the look of any of them.

If you decide to use the rubber one, I read a lot of people saying to drill thru those holes in it that are semi-filled. Lets it compress more during recoil with those drilled out and absorbs the shock a bit better.

Thanks. The brass stacker looks like a good option, no drilling, cheaper, and don't need a bent bolt. Amazon sells the it for $64 free shipping. I'll do more research on the brass stacker and what would be a decent cheap scope to throw on it.

Most of these mounts seem like they raise the scope up quite a bit so I'm wondering if you would need a cheek riser/pad on the stock.

No I don't think I'll need a shooting jacket...yet anyways lol. I think once I put that rubber buttpad on, it should help a bit.

When mounting a scope on a mosin you will be resting your chin on the stock instead of your cheak...

As for the coat its just a canvas/kahki type with pads in the right spot.....you guys seem to want to shoot in your t shirts though.
Here's the jackets I'm talking about....... https://sites.google.com/site/madebymcron/
Another way to manage recoil is don't shoot from sitting position off a bench. Stand or sit on the ground or prone off sand bags. You might even shoot better groups

the black solid pad is terrible. it offers no absorbtion. i tried it and then threw it in the trash. got a limbsaver instead. gel-filled one sounds like a great idea, very comfy.

Last edited:
the black solid pad is terrible. it offers no absorbtion. i tried it and then threw it in the trash. got a limbsaver instead. gel-filled one sounds like a great idea, very comfy.

Ugh that's not good to hear. I was wondering about that since it looks like a pretty solid piece of rubber rather than being soft. Well I'll try it out and see if I like it or not then decide to get that gel filled one.

When mounting a scope on a mosin you will be resting your chin on the stock instead of your cheak...

As for the coat its just a canvas/kahki type with pads in the right spot.....you guys seem to want to shoot in your t shirts though.
Here's the jackets I'm talking about....... https://sites.google.com/site/madebymcron/
Another way to manage recoil is don't shoot from sitting position off a bench. Stand or sit on the ground or prone off sand bags. You might even shoot better groups

I'm not sure if putting a scope on is going to be worth it from what you guys have said. I'll shoot it a few more times and see what I think. I've only shot 20 rounds through it since I got it.

The carbine models you would need to purchase a mount , drill and tap the receiver and get the bolt bent. The 91/30 can be converted to scout rifles by removing the rear sight and using air rifle mount with rings. Another mount out there which is a total piece of junk attaches using small hex screws..... cant handle the recoil and looses zero after a short time.
My suggestion, carbines are getting harder to find, with the exception of the Chinese type 53 which took a beating and look like crap, hang on to it in it original configuration.

- - - Updated - - -

Those black pads are really for people who need a longer reach. They are way to hard for a recoil pad.

The carbine models you would need to purchase a mount , drill and tap the receiver and get the bolt bent. The 91/30 can be converted to scout rifles by removing the rear sight and using air rifle mount with rings. Another mount out there which is a total piece of junk attaches using small hex screws..... cant handle the recoil and looses zero after a short time.
My suggestion, carbines are getting harder to find, with the exception of the Chinese type 53 which took a beating and look like crap, hang on to it in it original configuration.

- - - Updated - - -

Those black pads are really for people who need a longer reach. They are way to hard for a recoil pad.

Yeah I think you're right, I'll just keep it in original configuration for now. Someone else at my local range told me the carbines are hard to find which is probably why it cost more than the 91/30s they had for sale. I'm new to Mosin Nagants and the only reason I got the carbine was so it would fit in my safe lol and so it's a little easier to shoot standing. I wasn't really aware that they were rarer/hard to find.

Well that sucks to hear about that rubber pad I bought, I guess I should have done more research before I bought it. Good thing I only paid $10 on Amazon for it. I'll try it out and if I don't like it I'll probably put it on here for karma and buy a limbsaver or one of those gel filled pads. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
Its a mosin.....those pads you pug on don't do anything for recoil. Might protect you against abrasion but will not reduce recoil. Have fun and shoot it. If your just going to blast it 20 rounds here and there then have fun. I like to shoot them a lot.
I like going to cmp shoots and vintage rifle matches
The jackets are not to bad on summer days.
Andrew1220......I think you made the wise choice not to mess with it. If you got the mosin bug and like the old school set up of mosins with scopes. Save some coin and buy a 91/30 sniper. There where a few on nes classifieds not long ago.

Its a mosin.....those pads you pug on don't do anything for recoil. Might protect you against abrasion but will not reduce recoil. Have fun and shoot it. If your just going to blast it 20 rounds here and there then have fun. I like to shoot them a lot.
I like going to cmp shoots and vintage rifle matches
The jackets are not to bad on summer days.
Andrew1220......I think you made the wise choice not to mess with it. If you got the mosin bug and like the old school set up of mosins with scopes. Save some coin and buy a 91/30 sniper. There where a few on nes classifieds not long ago.

I just wanted something softer than that solid steel buttplate on mosins lol. I would think anything is better than that steel. But at the same time I know a pad isn't going to reduce recoil which is fine, I just want a little more comfort when shooting it in a t-shirt haha.

A wise choice indeed. Yeah I'll check out the 91/30 sniper, I'm sure this probably won't be the last mosin I'll own so it's good to know what to look for in the future. Thanks again mac.

There are several distributors that your local FFL dealer can order the sniper from.....matter of fact collectors might be a good start.

Back
Top Bottom