• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mosin Nagant 7.62x54 - Compete?

Hello

I am considering buying one of these rifles above.

Does this rifle fall into any particular class for competition? Clearly its not the best thing out there but these rifles are inexpensive.

Has anyone ever seen these rifles in a competition?

Well, the Mosin doesn't have a great rep for accuracy ("Enemy at the Gates" movies aside), which tends to be measured in minute-of-man groups rather than minute-of-angle.

However, there are several competitions each year for "Military Rifles" that just require military-issue firearms of any nation. For example, below is a link to this past year's highpower schedule at Nashua Fish & Game - Note the entries for May 15th and June 20th:

http://www.nfga.org/highpower/pdfs/Final 2010 High Power Schedule.pdf

I attended one of the two, and saw a nice variety of rifles on the line - including my French MAS 49 in 7.5mm French.

There are probably others - you just need to surf around.

Good Luck!

The Russian snipers used Mosins that were hand-selected for accuracy and could, historically, just about hold 3MOA at 250-300 yards.

Compared to any modern rifle, it's going to be slow to operate, slow to load, and inaccurate. You could correct most of that, given time and money, but for the same money you could do something in a Savage or Remington bolt gun that would take a modern caliber (more consistent ammo, and a wider prevalence of factory options, plus usually far more published load data), and hold sub MOA.

The Russian snipers used Mosins that were hand-selected for accuracy and could, historically, just about hold 3MOA at 250-300 yards.

Compared to any modern rifle, it's going to be slow to operate, slow to load, and inaccurate. You could correct most of that, given time and money, but for the same money you could do something in a Savage or Remington bolt gun that would take a modern caliber (more consistent ammo, and a wider prevalence of factory options, plus usually far more published load data), and hold sub MOA.

Very good advice - thank you.

Here's what I know - that the 'AR' class of rifle is pretty prevalent in hi power competition. Its in a class by itself from what I understand. What classes would all these other types of rifles, Savages, Remingtons, fall into? Is this a popular class?

What I want to know is if I buy any hi-po rifle, will it be one that is in a reasonably popular competitive class, not some obscure category that meets once a year.

Thanks again in advance.

Two clubs in CT that hold mil-surp mtaches are Quaker Hill and the New Haven Raccoon Club. Both semi-auto and non-self-loading events. Maybe a couple of each a year. QH used to hold an M1 Carbine, black rifle, Garand, Springfield and probably other events, too, but I think they've cut back on the schedule a bit.
Heck, I use my FR-7 and K31 in pin shoots at Berlin, CT (but I'm not very competitive...not competitive with a semi either).

Highpower has two major rifle categories:

Service Rifle and Match Rifle.

Service Rifle is the AR15 in A2 configuration (fixed stock, carry handle with sights, 20" barrel), M1 rifle, or M14 rifle (or its civilian clones). Nothing else is eligible. In this category, the AR15 is king.

Match Rifle is any repeating rifle with a magazine capacity of at least five rounds, iron sights, and the ability to rapidly reload. Your Mosin Nagant would fit here, though it would not be competitive even if you are a High Master. Custom made bolt actions with special match sights, stripper clips or detachable magazines fit here. Customized AR15s with long barrels, adjustable stocks, and special match sights also fit here.

If you are serious about competing in NRA Highpower Rifle, the first question is which category of rifle you want to use, service or match? FYI, both categories shoot in the same match. There are no "service rifle only" NRA matches. CMP is another story but doesn't count for now.

If you want to shoot a service rifle, buy a National Match AR15 and call it a deal. Don't bother with the M1 or M1A.

If you want to shoot match rifle, you can start with your Mosin to get your feet wet then eventually decide to build a bolt action or semi auto match rifle or switch to service rifle.

Highpower has two major rifle categories:

Service Rifle and Match Rifle.

Service Rifle is the AR15 in A2 configuration (fixed stock, carry handle with sights, 20" barrel), M1 rifle, or M14 rifle (or its civilian clones). Nothing else is eligible. In this category, the AR15 is king.

Match Rifle is any repeating rifle with a magazine capacity of at least five rounds, iron sights, and the ability to rapidly reload. Your Mosin Nagant would fit here, though it would not be competitive even if you are a High Master. Custom made bolt actions with special match sights, stripper clips or detachable magazines fit here. Customized AR15s with long barrels, adjustable stocks, and special match sights also fit here.

If you are serious about competing in NRA Highpower Rifle, the first question is which category of rifle you want to use, service or match? FYI, both categories shoot in the same match. There are no "service rifle only" NRA matches. CMP is another story but doesn't count for now.

If you want to shoot a service rifle, buy a National Match AR15 and call it a deal. Don't bother with the M1 or M1A.

If you want to shoot match rifle, you can start with your Mosin to get your feet wet then eventually decide to build a bolt action or semi auto match rifle or switch to service rifle.

OUTSTANDING response. Clean, clear, well articulated and to the point. This is the answer I was looking for. Much appreciated.

If you pick up a Finn M39, you've got a much better chance of getting great results.

very true. I have a B M39 that when used with hand loads or prvi ammo it is very accurate. They are all over the auction sites. In any case, its about enjoying what ever you choose.

Back
Top Bottom