Can Female Athletes Compete Against Men? In Shooting, Yes—But Not in the Olympics

Feb. 23, 2012 WSJ

As a member of the Texas Christian University rifle team, junior Sarah Scherer competes against some of the best female—and male—shooters in the country. But when she competes in the second round of the Olympic trials at Camp Perry, Ohio, this weekend, she'll only be competing against other women

Interesting article. I see no reason that they should not be allowed to compete head to head but I think some of the events, the COF is more physically demanding. I'd also like to see if they are going to have a quota system for males and females or is it just going to be be top finishers at the tryouts regardless of gender.

B

it should be an OPEN competition, for my money, in shooting, all are equal.

Yup. And I was reading in the last few weeks that until the 60s or 70s the olympics for shooting was unisex but when a woman won or came close to winning (you can tell how good my memory is...) they split the sexes up.

I think we should have more divisions in the sport. That way I have a chance of winning high fat white 35 year old.

Yup. And I was reading in the last few weeks that until the 60s or 70s the olympics for shooting was unisex but when a woman won or came close to winning (you can tell how good my memory is...) they split the sexes up.

Yes the article mentions it. They said European men were uneasy at the notion of being beat by women. One thing the division did is to break it wide open and allow more women access to compete. Before it was the top two, but now it's the top two in the women's events and men's events.

B

I think we should have more divisions in the sport. That way I have a chance of winning high fat white 35 year old.

69302034uszpkzph.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom