moly coated bullets

I use masterblaster moly coated 230gr .45acp. They are cheaper than plated and jacketed rounds, smoke alot less than lead and clean up almost as well a plated. They also run alittle bit faster than jacketed rounds, so I can make power factor with less powder, therefore less recoil

I just use plain old lead. With the right loads you get near zero leading and very little smoke. The smoke you do get is not lead, it is bullet lube. I shot 200 rounds yesterday and the gun looks only slightly dirtier then when I use FMJ. If you lube your own bullets with a softer lube you will get even less smoke and lead. Many bullet retailers will sell you the bullets unsized and unlubed.

Compare "clean" FMJs to a plain old lead bullet. Most FMJs have an open base so the lead is exposed as on a pure lead bullet. With the right load a pure lead bullet will obturate and then the surface area exposed to the hot expanding gases is roughly the same as on an FMJ.

I do most of my shooting outdoors so lead works fine, I don't notice the smoke at all while running a stage. Indoors you might as well step up to plated as Moly will still smoke enough to be unpleasant. If I am just target shooting and people won't be going downrange (into the smoke) then I use lead indoors also. MRA has a pretty good ventilation system.

My current lead load is 185gr SWC 1.265 OAL with 5.3 grains of Titegroup. I could get less perceived recoil for the same power factor by using a 230 grain bullet but the leading would be horrific and the bullets are %20 more expensive.

FYI...
I bought 1,000 mollys on eBay. They were not of consistant size and I had lots of problems with them. Ended up discarding them. If you go mollys, buy from a trustworthy source.

FYI...
I bought 1,000 mollys on eBay. They were not of consistant size and I had lots of problems with them. Ended up discarding them. If you go mollys, buy from a trustworthy source.

Who made those moly bullets?

Note that there is moly and POLY; the moly is usually just molybdenum disulfide on a jacketed rifle bullet; pistol rounds are generally a poly coating, which may or may not contain moly, which encapsulates the bullet.

The latter tend to feel very slick to the touch.

Scriv. is correct. The masterblasters are poly with moly. I have had great luck with them. I have found them to be consistenly sized. But you need to bell the cases more to prevent scraping off the coating

Check out Wil Scheumann's web site. He is of the opinion that molybdenum disulfate (moly) can form an abrasive compound when exposed to oxygen in an extreme high temperature situation as in a pistol barrel. He is dead set against the use of moly in a pistol barrel.

Berger started the moly kick for rifle bullets, and I bit. I bought a moly tumbler set up from Midway, and did thousands of rifle, and some pistol bullets. I did not wax coat them after coating. They are a mess to handle. I had to increase the powder charge to reach the same velocity's, and moly will build in the bore and can be a bitch to get out. If you let it accumulate, it will allow moisture to get under it and form sulfuric acid. Nuf said.
Kroil in conjunction with a bore paste is the only cleaner that works.
I still use them in rifles, and they do shoot cleaner in the barrel, but I will not be doing any more, after using up my inventory, because of the dirty reloading hassle.

Which is why I use POLY-coated bullets. Slick, clean, very reasonable and shipped to my door - no muss, o fuss.

Back
Top Bottom