Modern Blackpowder Revolving Shotgun?

There's no black powder or muzzleloader section here, so allow me to blather ideas to see who else might be interested.

No company currently makes a BP smoothbore revolver shotgun, which sucks because if they did we wouldn't have to deal with the NFA meaning we could have a 10 inch barrel revolver shotgun with a buttstock on it for a small, light, compact blaster. My idea is a modernized one with a double action/single action trigger, swing out cylinder with a quick change ability for faster reloads or to swap between bird, buck, and slugs, is 209 primer so there's no cap jams, detachable/removable stock if you want to carry it like a big pistol, optics mount, rails for a light, etc. Obviously it would have the blast shields that the Rossi Circuit Judge uses to protect the shooter's arms from hot gases from the gap.

Obviously the MA compliant model would be wood with a picture of Maura on the side that says, "NOT A WEAPON OF WAR."

Since it's a revolver design, the smaller the bore, the more chambers in each cylinder meaning a 5 shot 10 gauge could fit 7 or 8 shots of 28ga. Multiple barrel length options, from 6 inches to 26 inches, multiple bore options, no background check needed, mail order right to your house or walk out of Cabela's/Bass Pro without having to even show a photo ID.

My interest is largely getting around the SBS classification, but also a muzzleloader that holds a decent number of shots and has a fairly fast reload speed and a fast and easy rate of fire that doesn't require a complex action. The benefit of a revolver with the power of a shotgun and the speed reload of a detachable magazine... sounds like a winning combination.

So essentially a black powder Street Sweeper?
Not as high a capacity, but a much faster reload with interchangeable cylinders. Think the 1858 New Model Army in terms of cylinder change speed, but have the cylinder swing out like a typical DA revolver, release button on the crane that releases the cylinder, slap new loaded cylinder in and go.

Not as high a capacity, but a much faster reload with interchangeable cylinders. Think the 1858 New Model Army in terms of cylinder change speed, but have the cylinder swing out like a typical DA revolver, release button on the crane that releases the cylinder, slap new loaded cylinder in and go.
I like it. I think shotgun cylinders can be a little lighter construction as well, so it wouldn't be a total monster.

There's no black powder or muzzleloader section here, so allow me to blather ideas to see who else might be interested.

No company currently makes a BP smoothbore revolver shotgun, which sucks because if they did we wouldn't have to deal with the NFA meaning we could have a 10 inch barrel revolver shotgun with a buttstock on it for a small, light, compact blaster. My idea is a modernized one with a double action/single action trigger, swing out cylinder with a quick change ability for faster reloads or to swap between bird, buck, and slugs, is 209 primer so there's no cap jams, detachable/removable stock if you want to carry it like a big pistol, optics mount, rails for a light, etc. Obviously it would have the blast shields that the Rossi Circuit Judge uses to protect the shooter's arms from hot gases from the gap.

Obviously the MA compliant model would be wood with a picture of Maura on the side that says, "NOT A WEAPON OF WAR."

Since it's a revolver design, the smaller the bore, the more chambers in each cylinder meaning a 5 shot 10 gauge could fit 7 or 8 shots of 28ga. Multiple barrel length options, from 6 inches to 26 inches, multiple bore options, no background check needed, mail order right to your house or walk out of Cabela's/Bass Pro without having to even show a photo ID.

My interest is largely getting around the SBS classification, but also a muzzleloader that holds a decent number of shots and has a fairly fast reload speed and a fast and easy rate of fire that doesn't require a complex action. The benefit of a revolver with the power of a shotgun and the speed reload of a detachable magazine... sounds like a winning combination.

Interesting idea.

The cylinder would need to be stainless steel or some corrosion resistsnt material, makes it easier to load with BP, seal it with wax or something and prevent corrosion in the case it gets humid.

A blunderbuss with a revolving cylinder. That would be so much fun. I wouldn't give a sh*t about about getting around a SBS, I would just have it for range fun.

Interesting idea.

The cylinder would need to be stainless steel or some corrosion resistsnt material, makes it easier to load with BP, seal it with wax or something and prevent corrosion in the case it gets humid.

A blunderbuss with a revolving cylinder. That would be so much fun. I wouldn't give a sh*t about about getting around a SBS, I would just have it for range fun.
I figure Triple 7 powder is the way to go because it cleans with just water. Doesn't mean real black or another sub can't be used, but T7 has more energy and cleans easier.

I figure Triple 7 powder is the way to go because it cleans with just water. Doesn't mean real black or another sub can't be used, but T7 has more energy and cleans easier.
There is no substitute for BP. They sell what they market as "substitutes", but they don't perform nearly as good as BP.

Approximate how heavy would this weapon be?

There is no substitute for BP. They sell what they market as "substitutes", but they don't perform nearly as good as BP.
I doubt patterns are going to be affected that much with muzzleloading shotguns if different powders are used. The beauty of the muzzleloader is you have complete control over what wads, cushions, shot, and powder you use and how much you use.

I doubt patterns are going to be affected that much with muzzleloading shotguns if different powders are used. The beauty of the muzzleloader is you have complete control over what wads, cushions, shot, and powder you use and how much you use.
I doubt it.
Do you hang out with people that shoot BP?

If you don't, I recommend you start and ask. Or go to a BP forum, you can find them doing a Google search. There is always a thread asking about substitutes and those threads always go the same way "I tried it and went back to black powder".

Depends on the barrel length and if polymer/nylon is used for the stock or wood and also the bore size. I would think anywhere from 5 to 8 lbs.
That cylinder, 5 shots 10 gauge will not be light. That is a big cylinder. I would guess around 10lbs max 12lbs.

how are you going to protect the non-trigger-hand arm from the "excitement" at the cylinder gap?
Same way Rossi does with their revolver rifle

DSC00060.JPG

That cylinder, 5 shots 10 gauge will not be light. That is a big cylinder. I would guess around 10lbs max 12lbs.
The 1855 Colt shotgun was a 10 gauge (IDK how long the chamber was) and it was sub 9 lbs. Modern steels are far better than what the Colt shotguns were made of, so they're not going to need as much meat and with polymer instead of wood that cuts at least a pound off.

The 1855 Colt shotgun was a 10 gauge (IDK how long the chamber was) and it was sub 9 lbs. Modern steels are far better than what the Colt shotguns were made of, so they're not going to need as much meat and with polymer instead of wood that cuts at least a pound off.
I have read that back then they used less metal. Today they make them thicker, to try to idiot proof them.

At least that is what I have read on why most musket replicas are heavier than the originals.

I did not do any comparisons, so I am going by what others wrote.

Anyway, Turnbull has a pic of one they restored, that gun is sexy AF.

Last edited:
I habe read that back then they used less metal. Today they make them thicker, to try to idiot proof them.

At least that is what I have read on why most musket replicas are heavier than the originals.

I did not do any comparisons, so I am going by what others wrote.

Anyway, Turnbull has a pic of one they restored, that gun is sexy AF.
Depends on the company and what quality and processes they use for steels. I've read Pietta uses softer steels in their revolvers and make them larger, Uberti uses forgings and there's are a tad smaller. A shotgun doesn't generate the kind of stresses that a rifled gun does, all you're doing is pushing a charge of shot down the bore, maybe a patched round ball or hollow base conical.

Back
Top Bottom