Mle 1886 M93 R35 Lebel Carbine with Document

My first foray into French arms. It isn't pretty, but at $250, not a lot was risked. It appears to be fully functional, tight, matching, and the bore is very decent.

Other than being able to follow the upgrade history of this old Tulle arsenal rifle in 8X50mmR, once in 1893 and the conversion to a carbine in the late 1930's, I know very little. With sketchy total numbers ranging from 10-50,000 conversions, the R35 tube-fed magazine carbines were issued to mounted colonial troops in North Africa, and some to second tier and military support roles for the French homeland. Most were confiscated by the Germans, but a few were reported to be used by the French Resistance.

As I am second in line behind the collector who bought it from the Veteran of Hudson, MA who passed in 2010, I have no direct back story, and only a photocopied document with little details. But as the gun is not import marked, it could well be the one described in the certificate.

The Veteran served as an interpreter for the Allied Occupation Forces in France and Germany. He later became an avid collector and world renowned expert on home cinematography. He also spent much time on Monhegan Island in Maine. More can be found here:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/metrowestdailynews/obituary.aspx?n=alan-d-kattelle&pid=147076916

So, some pics, and enjoy!

LebelCarbine_002.jpg

LebelCarbine_001.jpg

LebelCarbine_003.jpg

LebelCarbine_004.jpg

LebelCarbine_005.jpg

LebelCarbine_006.jpg

LebelCarbine_007.jpg

LebelCarbine_008.jpg

LebelCarbine_009.jpg

LebelCarbine_010.jpg

LebelCarbine_011.jpg

LebelCarbine_012.jpg

LebelCarbine_002.jpg

LebelCarbine_001.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! Some years ago I've acquired one on the cheap. Came from a guy who inherited it from his Grandpa, who supposedly "liberated" it from a French soldier. He just wanted to get rid of it and was to turn it in to the local firearms authority.
70 bucks later the rifle and the bayo moved into my basement. Got to take some pics for comparison.

Some of these have definitely been re-issued to rear-echelon forces of the Wehrmacht, Luftwaffe and Volkssturm.

Thank you for the period pics, Juergen.

I have pored over every inch of mine, looking for German depot marks. None found. But it must have been in German possession, or it could not have been approved for shipment.

Back
Top Bottom