Mini 14 Tactical - Mass legal?

I've heard that the Mini 14 is basically a prison guard rifle and not much use beyond that. True? Really know nothing much about it.
Manufacturers suggested retail for Mini 14 is about a grand. No thanks. Many rifles out there on the market that cost much less, are equally reliable (if not more so!) and are considerably more accurate.

So which is it, you don't know anything about Mini-14s or you know they aren't accurate and not all that reliable 😆 😆 😆

So which is it, you don't know anything about Mini-14s or you know they aren't accurate and not all that reliable 😆 😆 😆
All I know is that plenty of people criticized this rifle. I understand that you can't please everyone, but when too many complaints and criticism are directed at a single product, there must be some justification. When in doubt, say no and choose something else. AR is much better? Then put your hard earned cash there. Very simple!

It now being 2023 ,this old thread is still going! Today in Massachusetts you cannot legally buy an AR15 ,so that makes the Mini 14 the only gun thats for sale brand new. You can get a pre-ban AR15 ,but for what they cost (over $2k) ,you'd be better off getting the Mini. I bought one in 2019 right before Covid for $899 and they are now a little over $1k. They are good rifles....not great..just good[smile]

The new Mini-14s are more precise than the older ones.

But, they use 1:9 twist barrels, so Bill Ruger’s progeny says f*** you if you want to use modern 77gr ammo.

Bottom line, they may be more precise than they were, but they are inferior to ARs in every regard except looking like a fudd gun. That was its entire purpose of design. It’s not like it was designed way before the AR. The AR had already been around for a decade. The Mini-14 came about purely because Bill Ruger wanted something more fuddy than the AR, and he also refused to sell it with normal capacity magazines to non-LE. This was before the federal AWB that he supported.

Well in Massachusetts you cannot legally buy an AR15 ,so that makes the Mini 14 the only gun thats for sale brand new. You can get a pre-ban AR15 ,but for what they cost (over $2k) ,you'd be better off getting the Mini. I bought one in 2019 right before Covid for $899 and they are now a little over $1k. They are good rifles....not great..just good[smile]
Then just buy a lower and castrate the upper so Maura won't get her undies in a bunch. I am not paying close to a grand for a Mini 14 if they are as crappy as everyone here thinks they are. "Not great" doesn't cut the mustard for me.
The new Mini-14s are more precise than the older ones.

But, they use 1:9 twist barrels, so Bill Ruger’s progeny says f*** you if you want to use modern 77gr ammo.

Bottom line, they may be more precise than they were, but they are inferior to ARs in every regard except looking like a fudd gun. That was its entire purpose of design. It’s not like it was designed way before the AR. The AR had already been around for a decade. The Mini-14 came about purely because Bill Ruger wanted something more fuddy than the AR, and he also refused to sell it with normal capacity magazines to non-LE. This was before the federal AWB that he supported.
Thank you. You told me all I need to know. I'll pass on the Mini 14. Seems like more trouble and expense than they are worth.

It now being 2023 ,this old thread is still going! Today in Massachusetts you cannot legally buy an AR15,so that makes the Mini 14 the only gun thats for sale brand new. You can get a pre-ban AR15 ,but for what they cost (over $2k) ,you'd be better off getting the Mini. I bought one in 2019 right before Covid for $899 and they are now a little over $1k. They are good rifles....not great..just good[smile]

Oh, do tell us more.

0E543239-6FF1-44BE-8CDD-484D34952E8B.jpeg

Thank you. You told me all I need to know. I'll pass on the Mini 14. Seems like more trouble and expense than they are worth.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure they’re fun and I even looked into getting one before I found out the new ones are all 1:9 twist.

But ARs are objectively better in every way. Performance, parts availability, everything. The Mini-14 should be looked at if it’s your only option, it’s for fun, or for some reason you choose it’s looks over a better option in your trade space decision.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure they’re fun and I even looked into getting one before I found out the new ones are all 1:9 twist.

But ARs are objectively better in every way. Performance, parts availability, everything. The Mini-14 should be looked at if it’s your only option, it’s for fun, or for some reason you choose it’s looks over a better option in your trade space decision.
It seems like it makes sense if you want to collect all four: AR-10 & 15, M14/M1A & Mini-14

The modern heavier barrels are just fine for accuracy and there is an aftermarket brace for the original thinner barrels. They are not match grade but perfectly fine. The thinner barrels were known for wobbling once they warmed up but they don't do that with the brace and the modern thicker barrels don't do it. I've owned three, they were all just fine for accuracy, it was the lack of decent magazines that was the problem. And now I can literally by two Diamondback AR15s for the price of one base model Mini 14, so in a cheap AR available state they don't make sense but they aren't broad side of a barn accurate, they're better than that.

Back
Top Bottom