• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Messed up primers

Kicker96FS

NES Member
What do you guys do with messed up primers? I mean like the new one went in upside down, or sideways, or not even or not quite centered? Can you or should you run the case through the De-primer with a live primer? I would think that slow pressure as opposed to a firing pins fast rap would be OK but I do want to ask here first. [shocked]

See the attached link.....

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/tworeloadingtools/index.asp

The process for depriming live primers is detailed down the page near figure #12...

FWIW, this information is also consistent with the way I was taught to clean around the priming area of my press.... Always clean that area with an alcohol swab and be sure there is no lubricants in this area.... Specifically gun oil and WD40 etc contamination could result in inert primers....[shocked]

What do you guys do with messed up primers? I mean like the new one went in upside down, or sideways, or not even or not quite centered? Can you or should you run the case through the De-primer with a live primer? I would think that slow pressure as opposed to a firing pins fast rap would be OK but I do want to ask here first. [shocked]

And, he didn't call ME to ask???

I have been removing them just fine in a manual decapping station on an RCBS press. Had them all the way from in there hard to just barely in there, and they all came out with no boom (or un-boom either).

I get 5-6 every 250 rounds or so. More than I'd like, but not so bad it slows me down. I set them aside, and deal with them later on. I keep a small compressor near the press to blow out the powder that gets in the primer track when a messed up primer shows up.

So, I guess this means he's making loaded rounds..... YAY!

I deprime, just do it gently. Wear safety glasses. (although you should have them on already, anyways). I've even done it with the dreaded "federal super easy to explode" primers. As long as you don't throw the handle down on the press you'll probably be just fine.

If applying gentle pressure doesn't liberate it, then STOP and just toss the case and the primer.

-Mike

Yep, I just put them in the press and de-capped them, no biggie. Thanks for your suggestions, better safe than sorry. Besides, I would hate to have cat shit all over the shop. [rofl]

Back
Top Bottom