• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MEDICAL GEAR AND ANTI- BIOTICS POST SHTF!!!

I have been doing alot of thinking and research about this topic recently, even more so since some Medications that my Wife uses regularly are in short supply! Being prepared with all proper OTC Meds and Prescibed meds is just as vital as making sure you have enough Food,Water,Shelter and Weapons/Ammo ect.. Also Proper training with First Aid and with all Med Gear is a Must!! As for antibiotics I have come across some websites that cater to the Prepper/Survival crowd, Has anyone here ever bought meds from any legit websites or would you? I think it could be benifical to have some antibiotics in a worst case senario in an event that you or someone you know could need them and are unable to get to a DR. when the SHTF.

Going forward one step that i am making is to make sure I help my Wife set some extra vital med aside. As for myself I am already First Aid and CPR certified but I am going to look into some further training, Any recommenadtions on Where and How to go about getting additional training?

Here is a cool website to check out: http://www.survivinghealthy.com/
[cheers]

Cal Vet Supply is supposed to have good fish antibiotics. They are supposed to be the same as human only no prescription.

As for additional medical training there some wilderness medicine courses that look awesome. I believe there is a post here about them. Look into an EMT course also.

Bad Idea, Like everything else they expire, certain ABX only treat certain bacteria so how do you know what you are treating? How do you know your infected? I suppose one could argue that a wide-spectrum ABX would be well suited to cover as much as you can, but in this day in age ABX are Rx WAYYY more than needed, tending to make resistant strands of different bacteria run wild. Taking ABX for a long period of time or when not needed can do way more harm than good.

Bad Idea, Like everything else they expire, certain ABX only treat certain bacteria so how do you know what you are treating? How do you know your infected? I suppose one could argue that a wide-spectrum ABX would be well suited to cover as much as you can, but in this day in age ABX are Rx WAYYY more than needed, tending to make resistant strands of different bacteria run wild. Taking ABX for a long period of time or when not needed can do way more harm than good.

you are ruining the fantasy though. [laugh]

NOTE: there is a reason why it takes at least a Master's Degree (Nurse Practitioner / Physician Assistant ) to prescribe medications. in a pre-hospital setting, a Paramedic can administer certain things, EMT's can assist, Nurse are a little more cooky in what they can / can't do.

but go ahead, pop a Z pack every time you get a hang nail.

NOTE: there is a reason why it takes at least a Master's Degree (Nurse Practitioner / Physician Assistant ) to prescribe medications. in a pre-hospital setting, a Paramedic can administer certain things, EMT's can assist, Nurse are a little more cooky in what they can / can't do.

Please elaborate on what is Cooky about what nurses can/can not do?

If you know a physician personally, you can simply ask them to prescribe basic antibiotics for SHTF supplies. Generally speaking, basic antibiotics are not expensive nor are they 'dangerous' like opiates are or other controlled substances. He/she can also advise you on basic dosage recommendations, too.

My wife and I have wilderness camped in Northern Maine, being dropped off by a float plane and been 100% totally on our own for 7 days without any chance of outside assistance or rescue. My big med bag is crucial to our safety. On one trip, my wife stepped into a hole in the ground late at night and broke her foot. The pain was excruciating but we had two days left before our plane returned. Fortunately it wasn't a 'bad' break (disputable by my wife) but I was able to treat her successfully and she was comfortable until we carried her to the plane. Our first stop after landing was the local hospital for x-rays and a cast. Not a great way to end a fly-fishing trip but it could have been a lot worse. She is a trooper.

Now, that being said, I'm not a doc nor do I play one on TV. My feeling, however, is that having as many meds as I can comfortably control in my stash is crucial, imho. I would much rather have it available than not have it. And, in the best of circumstances, should I find someone to treat a sick member of our group who is familiar with proper dosages, they would have the supplies to administer. This also goes with the other serious items I've collected in my very serious med bag. I would always defer to someone in the group who knew the proper way to administer lidocaine, suture wounds, or insert staples. I've got all that stuff and hope that I won't be the person applying them but at least I have 'em.

After reading "One Second After", it became immediately apparent to me that medical supplies are crucial to survival. Finding a PA, nurse, doc, or vet, military medic or any of their assistants all who have training might not be as hard as you might expect. And, of course, having some good first-aid training goes without saying in addition to reading up on as much as you can about every item in your pack.

The one med that should scare the crap out of someone is insulin. If you are insulin dependent diabetic, I would be investigating every possible way to have enough insulin stored for up to six months. I don't know if this is even possible but without it you die, period.

Finally, regarding the fish AB, I'd have no problem having them in my sash as well. Again, better to have it than not to have it and wonder how you're going to fight off an infection in a critical situation.

Rome

This and this.

Back
Top Bottom