Massachusetts Transplant

Hi all...I'm going to be taking a job and moving to Nashua within a month or two from the Berkshires of Massachusetts.
I have my Class A LTC.
How does moving to another state affect this?

your MA permit is null and void upon moving, good luck getting a non resident MA permit!

As for NH... welcome to the almost free state, 10 bucks and 14 days and you'll have a NH Pistol and Revolver permit if you want to CCW, if not, a NH drivers license gets you almost any gun you want at a dealer, or from private parties who know you.

P.S. your NH permit allows you to carry in something like 32 other states or something like that, but the usual communist states won't let you... MA NY NJ, Cali, etc

Welcome to New Hampshire!

One of the most important things you need to remeber to do, once you are settled in NH. FORGET EVERYTHING you thought you knew about firearm laws in Mass. They don't apply here, they don't exist here and they don't belong here.

Also, in NH, it is a license, not a permit. :)

Step 1: Bring your guns to NH.
Step 2: Forget about storage laws, its up to you to be responsible.
Step 3: Buy hi cap magazines for a fraction of the price.
Step 4: Get a $10 Pistol/Revolver License to carry concealed.
Step 5: Remember, MA laws are just for MA. NH is much simpler. You can learn NH law in an hour.
Step 6: Celebrate your free state-ness

When moving do you have to write a letter to your old chief in mass and your new chief in NH telling them that your moving?

Mike

When moving do you have to write a letter to your old chief in mass and your new chief in NH telling them that your moving?

Mike

I believe MA residents need to inform in writing the COP where the LTC was issued and CHSB vie certified mail.

http://www.goal.org/Documents/frb_change_address.pdf

Massachusetts General Law Chapter 140, section 129B states:
A cardholder shall notify, in writing, the licensing authority that issued such card, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction such cardholder moves and the executive director of the criminal history systems board of any change of address. Such notification shall be made by certified mail within 30 days of its occurrence. Failure to so notify shall be cause for revocation or suspension of such card.

Massachusetts General Law Chapter 140, section 131(l) states:
Any licensee shall notify, in writing, the licensing authority who issued such license, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction the licensee moves and the executive director of the criminal history systems board of any change of address. Such notification shall be made by certified mail within 30 days of its occurrence. Failure to so notify shall be cause for revocation or suspension of said license.

Since there is no permission needed to own firearms here there is no notification needed when you move if you own guns. Even if you come from out of state, nobody cares. Breathe the free air!

In NH you only need to notify the Police Chief in the town you move into *if* you already have a pistol license. But that's it.

Last edited:
Since there is no permission needed to own firearms here there is no notification needed when you move if you own guns. Even if you come from out of state, nobody cares. Breathe the free air!

In NH you only need to notify the Police Chief in the town you move into *if* you already have a pistol license. But that's it.

I think that only applies if you already have an NH resident pistol/revolver license.

To the OP:
Here is chapter 159. Pay special attention to 159:6 as that pertains to conceal carry.
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/xii/159/159-mrg.htm

There is also another chapter that deals with justification of force.
Chapter 627:

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/NHTOC/NHTOC-LXII-627.htm

Neither chapter is very long. After having to comprehend Mass laws, you should have no trouble understanding NH's laws on firearms and use of force.

Like others above have said, there is no law for storage (just that firearms be inaccessible to minors without you present, which might be a Federal law, not sure on that) nor are their laws for control. If you live alone or have no kids under 18, you can leave as many guns scattered throughout your house as you want. I don't recommend that however in case a burglar comes round while your not home. I do recommend you have one or two firearms within reach while you are home. If you have kids, I recommend either concealing it on your person at all times while home or having several quick access safes scattered in the places you spend most of your time (office, living room, etc)

As for NH... welcome to the almost free state, 10 bucks and 14 days and you'll have a NH Pistol and Revolver permit if you want to CCW

Gotta love NH! My wife dropped off her application on Friday. She picked up her license on Monday. It was actually ready Saturday, but we weren't around. :)

Hey guys,

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I was wondering about moving into an Apartment. Next year I plan on moving to NH, hopefully buying a house if I save enough money but if I don't I'll be moving into an Apartment Complex. If the apartment complex is okay with firearms, am I good with bringing my guns in?

Why wouldn't you be good? It is your place of residence. As long as you pay your rent, no one will give a shit. Hell, even if you don't pay your rent, no one will give a shit.

This is New Hampshire. Questions like this need not be asked or even be concerned about. We are not Massachusetts.

I just completed my move to New Hampshire as well. I still keep most of my firearms locked in my safe when they aren't in use, but I love that I can open carry and the worst I get is an odd look from the neighbors. XD

Hey guys,

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I was wondering about moving into an Apartment. Next year I plan on moving to NH, hopefully buying a house if I save enough money but if I don't I'll be moving into an Apartment Complex. If the apartment complex is okay with firearms, am I good with bringing my guns in?
Holy crap I can't believe this even needs to be asked?!?

Hey guys,

If you are licensed in Massachusetts to possess firearms in your domicile and you properly store them, then it is nobody's business but yours and the Commonwealth's. Living in an apartment is not like living in a dorm. If an apartment complex unlikely had a "no firearms on premises" clause in the lease, then I wouldn't rent there. Public housing is different because the .gov owns it.

Are we so oppressed here in Mass that people even question the whether they can posses firearms in their own domicile as long as they meet the criteria? If it is, then Lord Have Mercy on because we are heading towards Sheeple Land faster than I thought.