Mass. out-migration study. Everyone is leaving!

That's what better men from a time long past would do because they were a lot tougher than we are now. Since the people who are smart enough to know what's coming aren't capable of doing anything more than yelling about it, may as well shut up and accept whatever is coming.

There comes a point where after decades of bitching it's time to find better use of our time. Some have figured that out and are heading out and I don't blame them, the future is not in the Northeast and hasn't been for decades. Unfortunately, most of those who are leaving are probably set with their finances and able to do it, the younger generations aren't, so thanks again Boomers. You ruined it and now you telling your kids to figure it out.
:rolleyes:

I think anyone with basic knowledge of math could have seen this coming when people voted to add 4% surtax on those making over 1 mil. Id bet a lot of those people have the ability to work remote or change to a different office and have the means to do so. I know I would do the same thing if I could.
If you are making over $1M, you also have other options on how you get paid, which helps with taxes. Unless you are just a sales dude closing big deals.

From the article: “The age group leaving in the largest numbers is 26-34, although most of the lost AGI comes from the departures of those aged 55-64. More than half of people who exited Massachusetts earn well over the state average.”
The average annual salary in MA is $65K. It is not hard to make more than that.

I think anyone with basic knowledge of math could have seen this coming when people voted to add 4% surtax on those making over 1 mil. Id bet a lot of those people have the ability to work remote or change to a different office and have the means to do so. I know I would do the same thing if I could.

Ya, that was supposed to magically fix the third world roads issue too. How’s that going??

At least around me, they are worse than ever. I feel like I’m offroading driving on some of this shit. Not surprised, we just need a different tax now to finally fix them!

From the article: “The age group leaving in the largest numbers is 26-34, although most of the lost AGI comes from the departures of those aged 55-64. More than half of people who exited Massachusetts earn well over the state average.”
Makes sense since the millenials can't afford to buy where they grew up so they're moving to NH or RI. The retiring people 55-64 moving down south with the other boomers

I'm ahead of the curve. I am one of those remote teleworkers. I can do my job anywhere there's a fast & reliable Internet connection.

At age 52 once my boys were out of college and out on their own, I moved my wife and me to coastal NC in 2017. Overall cost of living is lower. I stole my house. bought in the low 300s and put maybe $25K into various projects but could list it in the high 500s right now. Taxes are much lower than MA but some of that is offset by having to keep wind & hail (hurricane) insurance in addition to homeowners'. I am not in a flood zone thankfully.

66% of the homes here in Carteret County are non owner occupied. they're vacation homes, AirBnBs, timeshares, beach condos, etc. As such they don't have kids in the school system, or make use of a lot of other police/fire/trash pickup or other town or county resources. Keeps our overall tax rate lower

Y'all come!

That's what better men from a time long past would do because they were a lot tougher than we are now. Since the people who are smart enough to know what's coming aren't capable of doing anything more than yelling about it, may as well shut up and accept whatever is coming.

There comes a point where after decades of bitching it's time to find better use of our time. Some have figured that out and are heading out and I don't blame them, the future is not in the Northeast and hasn't been for decades. Unfortunately, most of those who are leaving are probably set with their finances and able to do it, the younger generations aren't, so thanks again Boomers. You ruined it and now you telling your kids to figure it out.
Don’t be “that guy”, 😂😂 my son moved to N Carolina 3 years ago. But then again he’s a motivated hard working kid who opened his own company. 😂😂😂😂

I was up to MA over Easter weekend. I was horrified at the conditions of every road. MA roads have always been bad. They've gotten worse in the last seven years. If they're not plowing, salting and sanding due to mild winters they should immediately re-use those funds for road repairs. You should collectively revolt over the road conditions you're taxed through the nose for.

In the south, roads pretty much get built and stay in good shape. There is NO SUCH THING as a pothole here. Really. All the roads are smooth and straight. None of those confounded "hills" or "curves." At least not here on the coastal plain. We haven't had measurable winter precipitation since two inches fell in January 2018. It was gone that afternoon. It gets cold (freezing nights) but just doesn't stay that way for long.

If you're moving, keep in mind where you're going may not be the same:

Homicide_rate_by_county.webp
:

so some might want to take precautions if you are moving from relatively low homicide rate New England to high homicide rate areas

Last edited:
Sadly that often comes true. I don't think other states can export liberalism and swamp other states to the scale that California does it, but it does happen. I'm within a couple years of exiting Massachusetts and am cautious about NH because of this, plus I don't want to have to drive through NY nor NJ. I'm skeptical of NC because the 'red' margin had shrunk to 1.3% last presidential election and it will likely go blue the next.
Same here. Kiddo graduates HS in a year, then we’re out. What gets me is the lefties that leave somehow don’t get that it was THEIR OWN ideas that created the problem and forced them to leave.

I was up to MA over Easter weekend. I was horrified at the conditions of every road. MA roads have always been bad. They've gotten worse in the last seven years. If they're not plowing, salting and sanding due to mild winters they should immediately re-use those funds for road repairs. You should collectively revolt over the road conditions you're taxed through the nose for.

In the south, roads pretty much get built and stay in good shape. There is NO SUCH THING as a pothole here. Really. All the roads are smooth and straight. None of those confounded "hills" or "curves." At least not here on the coastal plain. We haven't had measurable winter precipitation since two inches fell in January 2018. It was gone that afternoon. It gets cold (freezing nights) but just doesn't stay that way for long.
Even with mild winters the towns still claim they have exhausted their snow clearing budgets.

Annual Massachusetts Outmigration Hits 39,000, Up 1,100% Over The Last Decade: BU Study​

Just caught the NHNPR piece on this. What really got my attention was that the major destinations are NH and FL. The taxes, gov oppression, and the general "the people don't matter" attitude of the gov are making them leave, but look where they go.... freedom states.

people under 35 think everyone over 45 is a boomer, its become slang for "old"

And I've heard people referring to Gen z kiddies as Millennials, not uncommon for a lot of people to get shit wrong. Just think about how many call semis assault rifles.

They've got to justify their budgets somehow. Typical gov mentality, we've got to use it all up so we can demand more $$$ next year.

Like I suggested, any unused snow removal money should automatically transfer to road or bridge repair budget with no impact on next year's budget. Everyone should get behind that

Makes sense since the millenials can't afford to buy where they grew up so they're moving to NH or RI. The retiring people 55-64 moving down south with the other boomers
Lol NH or RI aren't cheap either. Not sure how that's a win. Every place around a major highway in new england is expensive now. Unless you're saying "vs boston cup towns" . Because if sodosopas and urban shit being overrated. But even small dump cities in MA are expensive. Here in Fitchburg a 1br was $700 at one time nowadays youd be lucky to sniff that for $1300 now.

I knew what you meant. It was just a funny mis-spelling. Fricking birds who can't build roads!

Where in NY? I don't recall 287 being that bad when I drove it last year. Or anything in that stretch. I was on 90 5-6 years ago with no issues. Or is more the local roads. It comes down to $$$.

And Taunton, historically, could give any bad-road town a run for its money. Poor construction and built entirely on a swamp.

This is what people are completely ignoring. They want to blame everything except the obvious.

If I’m remote and I can pickup and work where I please. If I stay or leave depends on multiple other factors. But being remote means it doesn’t matter where my address is.
At 25 I’d be headed for almost anywhere except MA and hopefully making enough money to visit when I feel like it. But that is me in my circumstances. Might be a dozen other factors for someone else.

Millionaires tax? How many people did that really affect? People who make big bucks anlready have things anrranged to help them with tax avoidance. Immigration? Most people have their opinions but few are strong enough to cause people ti do anything more than bitch.
Liberal policies? Might make a difference for some but it’s low on the list for many I suspect.

Remote work is giving people the option to leave. And some are doing it

Back
Top Bottom