Marlboro Gun Show Find

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Actually I first saw this at the March 12 Big E gun show but did not have enough to get it. Did not take note of the dealer's name but Ken (USMA1982) helped me locate Stoney Acre Sports in Sutton, MA. Went to Marlboro today and picked this beauty up! It's a S&W Model 1905 4th Change, ser no. 833xxx which should date to about 1940-41. The gold box is I believe a post-war design so they don't match but it is an extra bonus.

Best of all, I can find no evidence that this has ever been fired! The inside of the barrel is pristine and the inside of the frame shows no debris anywhere, even in the space between the forcing cone and top strap. The front cylinder face has no residue rings around the charge holes. The finish is very good except for one portion of the cylinder where it looks like it rubbed against something, possibly the inside of the box.

The rest of the day was kind to me also. I got Howie Carr's autograph on his book, The Brothers Bulger and I found out that I don't owe a $600 penalty on underpayment of income taxes.

Some days are just better than others.

SWModel1905-4th.jpg

Great pickup!...That's a nice little piece, especially if it hasn't been fired.

How'd you meet Howie? My father listens to him ritually and calls in a couple times a week, too.

dreppucci007 said:
How'd you meet Howie? My father listens to him ritually and calls in a couple times a week, too.

He was at the Holyoke Barnes & Noble. I had to wait in line for two hours but it was worth it. He's a very funny and gracious guy in person. But, I guess that he can afford to be seeing how many people are buying his book.

BTW, the book is pretty good. I recommend it.

Nice gun. Conratulations on not having to pay taxes. Howie's book is fascinating, I read it in two evenings. It's nice when everything lines up once in a while, isn't it?

Regards,
Chris

The Boston Patriot said:
I love older guns. That is a great pickup!

TBP

Thanks. I have a small but growing collection of older snubbies. I just love the feel of an older gun. They may not be "tactical" but they have a feel of an age gone by of quality workmanship.

I have a friend who hangs out at our local gunshop who was a long-time engineer for Colt. He has a 1941 Colt DS which I hope to get from him. That would make a great compnaion to this revolver.

ChristosX said:
Nice gun. Conratulations on not having to pay taxes. Howie's book is fascinating, I read it in two evenings. It's nice when everything lines up once in a while, isn't it?

Regards,
Chris

I frankly expected to have to give them some money also. Getting an offer of a straight trade was unexpected.

Back
Top Bottom