• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Major solar storm

NASA predicts there is a 12 percent chance we’ll get hit within the next decade.

The gov't makes plans for all sort of low-probabilty events, at a 12% chance in 10 years, this isn't the least likely scenario out there, but more likely than the Zombie Apocalypse.

I've been saying this for years. This is what will start the revolution, grid goes down, EBT system fails, ghetto riots into the burbs.

I read that stopping aid to Pakistan for one year would give us the funds to harden the grid to limit damage from a major solar storm.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

The govt would never spend money to actually do something productive. The would rather save the snail darter and give Billions to people that want us dead.

I would be okay with a Solar Coronal Mass Ejection/EMP, if it has to happen, at least no one blames someone else and starts firing missiles. Yes, entire cities would riot when 75% of the population depend on the EBT card. Not saying 75% adults, population - lots of kids in those apartments.

If the Carington Event occurred today - we would lose the electrical grid world wide for at least a year - which would lead to a massive loss of life prolonging the outage.

Funny thing about that date is its close to our up coming election. I wonder if a "solar storm" resulting in a "grid down" situation can't be traced back to our own Gov. EMPing us into the dark ages.

I know the tin foil is tight with this one, but timing is everything and its a great cover story.

Jason.

Funny thing about that date is its close to our up coming election. I wonder if a "solar storm" resulting in a "grid down" situation can't be traced back to our own Gov. EMPing us into the dark ages.

I know the tin foil is tight with this one, but timing is everything and its a great cover story.

Jason.

foil is wrapped wayyyyyy too tight here, bruh.

What's a strom?

2OXSPO4.jpg

I've been saying this for years. This is what will start the revolution, grid goes down, EBT system fails, ghetto riots into the burbs.
If the grid goes down for any lenght of time it's going to be worse than that. In the U.S. we have a bunch of utilities: Electricity, Natural Gas, Gas/oil, Transportation, Communications, Water, Sewage, etc. Every one is completely dependent on the electric grid. If that goes down for more than a month or 2 there will literally be starvation and disease in the U.S. on a massive scale.

What's the best strategy for dampening the noise from the generator so you can disguise the 6 months of stored underground fuel?

Wall of dead bodies and an alligator moat. That's what I use anyway.

You don't worry that the alligators will eat your wall?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure I buy that the solar storm will just take down the entire grid for months or years - most components will be intact, you'll just need a lot of new transformers.

I wonder if the storm would do any damage to a home solar panel setup.

It couldn't happen soon enough for me.
"Let the cleansing harvest begin. Rest ye in the Barrens of winter and in the springs early warmth may a new crop root. "

what caused Fukushima to melt down? generators got flooded and the cooling system failed. We have lots of nuke plants....an EMP will probably make large areas uninhabitable. There would be no recovery...

what caused Fukushima to melt down? generators got flooded and the cooling system failed. We have lots of nuke plants....an EMP will probably make large areas uninhabitable. There would be no recovery...

I would think that a nuke plant could generate its own cooling power with no reliance on the grid. I don't know much about nuke plants, but I would design that into them.

Nuke plants can not power themselves....they are powered by the grid.

Assume that the backup generators and instrumentation are not damaged by the EMP. Nuke plants have battery backup and about a months supply of fuel. With no good place to store spent fuel off site many plants will require cooling for the reactor core AND all the spent fuel that is on site. The onsite storage tanks are packed to the gills with spent fuel these days. They will need to keep the cooling system running for months and maybe years. If the grid is down, there is no more diesel fuel being refined....

I would think that a nuke plant could generate its own cooling power with no reliance on the grid. I don't know much about nuke plants, but I would design that into them.

I have a friend who is active on this issue, a founding member of an organization which is actively lobbying and harassing congress. I know some of the inside story from him.

As I understand it, a nuke plant can not generate its own power if the grid is down. In fact all power plants draw power from the grid and one chicken-and-egg problem of the grid going down is you can't restart a power plant without grid power - a so-called black start. Obviously it would have to be done but it's not easy.

With the grid down a nuclear power plant has to rely on backup generators to provide power to the pumps that circulate water through the core and through the spent fuel cooling ponds. The cooling ponds are a bigger problem than the core itself as there is so much more radioactive material there. Without a continuous flow of cooling water, the water in the spent fuel ponds will boil and evaporate and the spent fuel will eventually catch fire.

Also as I understand it, a nuclear plant is required to keep a minimum of 30 days of fuel for the backup generators on site. Most plants keep only this minimum required quantity.

So in a grid down situation, one of the priorities would be to continue to supply diesel fuel to nuclear power plants beyond the 30 days on site storage. If the general situation deteriorated so that fuel could not be supplied then the spent fuel ponds would burn.

If you're serious about surviving the apocalypse you need to make sure you're not downwind - i.e. East - of a nuke.

Last edited:
In layman's terms, how big of a problem in the grand scheme of things is a plant meltdown?

I know it's bad, but say Pilgrim went tits up. How much of an area would screwed?

If all of the spent fuel in the ponds at Pilgrim burned it would be a catastrophe. All of Cape Cod and southeastern Mass. would be basically uninhabitable. And if there were sustained winds from the East it would be pretty much bye bye Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut.

While we're amusing ourselves with this, for planning purposes you need to be at least 100 miles downwind of any nuke, 200 miles would be better.

nuclear-facilities-updated-450x273.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom