Maine man pulls shotgun, turns tables on break-in suspects

After hearing them enter, the homeowner holds one suspect at gunpoint until police arrive.

Lt. Mike Nugent said Andrew Gagne, 21, of Standish drove with two friends to a home on Mill Lane in Westbrook shortly before 10 Tuesday morning.

Gagne waited in the car while David Solak, 29, and Douglas L. Perez, 22, both of Standish, broke down the front door to the home.

"The door frame was broken, but we're not sure if they kicked it in or shouldered their way in," Nugent said.

The sound from the breaking door awakened the homeowner, who armed himself with a shotgun.

Nugent said he won't identify the 40-year-old man because the break-in remains under investigation and police don't typically name victims.

When Solak and Perez entered the home, they encountered the armed homeowner. Solak fled, but Perez was held at gunpoint until Westbrook police arrived.

READ MORE

Welcome to Maine, where we do make it a personal responsibility to protect ourselves. Even in the Peoples Republic of Portland. I loved this quote from the police officer:
"We've learned that the guy with the gun is not always the bad guy," Nugent said.

I'd reckon 80% of the folks who've been to my cabin, to deliver, set-up, or install any of the purchases or utilities, pest control etc, have seen my 3d archery targets outside. Almost to a man, the conversation turns to hunting, and shooting.(and usually for no less than 45 minutes for each conversation[grin])

I don't think I've met too many unarmed folks up here! Being a home invader would be a VERY dangerous job here. It's also nice being able to show off your collection without fear of someone panicking and the police being called. [smile]

Allot of people do not understand that allot of Maine has what most would call horrible response times. Lets take my house for example. If I where to call 911 and say there where people breaking into my home it would take 30 + min for a le to get here. I am not ever that far out. I have friends that if the did the same the LE may not be able to get there for a hour or two.

As I have stated before we are different then most of the states. Mainers are by definition more self sufficient due to both our history and by virtue of where and how we choose to live.

Back
Top Bottom