• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA BFS Instructor Questions...

Hello,

As my profile states, I am an NRA Certified RSO, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, Shotgun Instructor. I am on the local BSA Shooting Sports Committee. I am also a Mass Certified BFS Instructor. Every time I'm able to come up with an answer for 1 question surround teaching the MA required BFS course, it leads to 3+ more!

It is because of my NRA certifications that I have my MA BFS instructor certificate. As you all are are, the new "Blended" format the NRA has pushed through, the 8-hour basic pistol course isn't necessarily the most practical way to help people get their MA LTCs. I'm currently working on coordinating a class with a few people so we can be certified to teach the NRA Home Safety Course, though we want to incorporate a live-fire component afterword. It sounds as though many people are now moving away from the NRA courses and teaching other MA approved courses. My questions ultimately lead to HOW???

The are only 26 MA approved LTC (and 3 FID) courses. All of the approved courses are proprietary material. This means that instructors either need to become certified to teach the proprietary classes or develop their own and submit it to the state for approval. Breaking that down:

1) Proprietary courses: They aren't for just anyone to teach. Only S&W employees can teach the S&W course, only AG Firearms can teach the LTC-017 course, only ISI can teach the LTC-010 course, etc... What are private MA BFS instructors switching over to?

2) Developing your own syllabus for approval: In speaking with Lt. Zani (taking over the MA BFS certification process from Lt. Nugent) I have learned that he has a stack of proposed classes waiting to be gone through for approval. If I develop my own, what's the approval submission process? How long does it take?

MA has over 5,000 certified BFS instructors... what's everyone teaching?

Thank you for any assistance you have to offer. I greatly appreciate it!

Last edited:
I'm an NRA instructor and I think the blended course looks terrible. I would license Glidden's course, which I've heard is a nominal one time fee.

I'm an NRA instructor and I think the blended course looks terrible. I would license Glidden's course, which I've heard is a nominal one time fee.

Someone recently posted that he's not licensing any more instructors to teach his (actually it is the MCOPA) course. I'm not sure that they ever wanted anyone but LE to teach that course anyway, as that is who it was developed for (with no shooting requirement as most clubs don't want PDs using them so live fire for PDs or officers is a challenge).

Someone recently posted that he's not licensing any more instructors to teach his (actually it is the MCOPA) course. I'm not sure that they ever wanted anyone but LE to teach that course anyway, as that is who it was developed for (with no shooting requirement as most clubs don't want PDs using them so live fire for PDs or officers is a challenge).

BINGO! I just found out that indeed the MCOPA course is copyrighted and is indeed restricted to law enforcement instructors only.

Interesting. I know non-LEO instructors who have licensed it. Maybe it changed at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. I know non-LEO instructors who have licensed it. Maybe it changed at some point.

Perhaps it did. The copy I saw is marked 2nd Edition (1999) and has specific wording to that effect. Hopefully there is a much newer edition and that might have lifted the restriction, I don't know.

For me, I do BFS and a separate live fire session. That meets the state requirement and gives new shooters trigger time and a target to give their licensing agent.

I am interested as well. I don't do course often, but my course was the NRA basic handgun course with 3-4 hours of shooting everything from a .22, 9mm, .40 to a .45 in the coursework verify safety and competent handling.

Is it difficult/expensive to get a course approved if all else fails?

Just to add to Len's info on the MCOPA Course by Ron Glidden. I emailed him last week and he replied that he will not be sending out any more outlines to teach this class. He felt that the material is outdated and he does not intend to update it. So, punt on this one.

Back
Top Bottom