M91/30 made up sniper - range report

Bob01605

NES Member
Mosin 91_30 target.jpg
Mosin 91_30.jpg

I am new to this forum but have been shooting milsurps for many years. I took my Russian M91/30 "made up sniper" with Russian 3.5X scope to the range today with a few handloads. I bought this rifle about 10 years ago and had someone mount the Russian scope. When I got the rifle it was in cosmoline and I believe it was never issued. It had some handling marks from being banged around in some arsenal somewhere but other than test firing at the aresenal I don't believe it had ever been fired. The barrel was bright and shiny after I got all the cosmoline out. I decided to shoot some handloads at 100 meters today at my local range. (Hamilton Rod and Gun in Sturbridge, MA). One load was 47 grains of H4895 with the Remingtom 150 grain .308 diameter SPCL. The other load was 48 grains of AA4064 with the Remington 150 grain .308 SPCL. Yep - I know that most Mosin dudes recommend .311 diameter bullets in most Mosin rifles except for the Finnish rifles which you usually use .308 diameter bullets but I had used .308 diameter bullets in this rifle before and they shot very well - as good or better than .311 diameter bullets. I shot five 5 shot groups with both loads. The H4895 loads shot higher close to the center of the bull - more velocity I suppose. The AA4064 shot lower but grouped a little better. All ten 5 shot groups were under 2 1/2 inches and a many were under 2 inches. The best group is pictured above. It was under an inch with the 48 grains of AA4064 load.

The nice thing about these Russian M91/30's is that they are plentiful and relatively inexpensive.
Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an FYI that's a 91/30 Finn capture rifle with the early stock. The pot belly stock gives it away. IMO I would have used a 91/30 and left that beauty alone. Also the scope is not a PU scope but a new manufacture scope by the looks of it.
I assume you know how to adjust for elevation. Its the small screws on the mount.

If your happy with it that's all that counts.
Also look for a SA marking on the receiver.

I would have given you two ex sniper 91/30s for that beautiful rifle.

Ok guys I need some alone time now[crying]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom