M48 mauser barrel installed on K98.

mac1911

NES Member
Im considering picking up a M48 barrel NOS. with the intent to replace a rough barrel on my K98. Any one do this and will it work. Headspace will be checked and corrected if this can be done

The barrels are both large ring Mausers so the dimensions are close enough and I believe the threads are the same....However, the M48 bolt is a bit different as it needs a relief cut for the front of the extractor and I don't think it will lock up in the chamber of a K98. It is also a shorter bolt so it cannot be interchanged with a K98 bolt...I would imagine but am not sure that the K98 barrel could be modified for the M48 bolt but this is a little out of my expertise...

Sarco has new 98 barrels for $99.00 http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/mauser98barrelcurrentproductioninthewhite.aspx

Last edited:
I have a basket case k98. Which I have been able to get it back to a level of accuracy that's not terrible but not good either.
I'm slowly getting deeper and deeper into gun smithing. I will be getting barrel vise and action wrenches soon and thought this would be s good project barrel swap. I also have a garand to do.

Good for you, I have done a few and the tools can be expensive especially when you add in a reamer for chambering a new barrel or cleaning up an old one. Love to hear how you make out!!

Good for you, I have done a few and the tools can be expensive especially when you add in a reamer for chambering a new barrel or cleaning up an old one. Love to hear how you make out!!

Yes tools can get expensive. I have pull through reamer set up and a reamer for 30-06 for when I decide to tackle my other projects.
Im also working on collecting more head space guages.

The M48 barrel has a different rear sight location so you will have to cut your hang guard to make it fit. I replaced a worn out RC K98 with a M48 unissued barrel and that was the only issue. make sure the head space is correct as well.

If I decide to go this route I will most likely just leave the upper handguard off ? Want to know if it will/could work with out major issues. Chamber reaming im comfortable with. I figure I would jump on a few M48 new barrels before they are gone also.

Back
Top Bottom