M39 stock finish

What is the correct finish on an M39 mosin stock? I havent handled a lot of these but I was under the impression they were all basically raw wood with and oil/wax finish.

I picked up a 1942 VKT M39 this weekend. Metal is nice with no pitting and VG to excellent bluing. The barrel is shiny with crisp rifling. The stock is post war but solid and pretty nice all around. What has me stumped is how shiny the stock is, though. There is clearly a shellac or varnish on the surface of the wood. You can really tell where this finish it worn though, right behind the tang where your thumb would rest. The other thing is, some of the metal hardware appears to have build up of whatever this shellac is on it. Mineral spirits doesn't touch it. I tested some acetone on the metal parts and it dissolves quite quickly.

Did the Finns ever use a shellac finish? Im having a tough time believing this is factory applied with the metal hardware being coated too. I just want to confirm this isnt a factory coating. I think Id like to strip it and reapply an oil type finish.

PICS below. I dont know how well this will shop up but I tried

I cleaned the center with acetone, but you can still see what looks like varnish around the edges.

This shows clearly where the varnish/shellac (whatever) is worn off.

This is a rubbery glob on the upper handguard, similar to whats on the barrel band.

The Finn's have a product like a black pine tar they rubbed in if anything at all but mostly Linseed oil. NEVER synthetic or varnish.

a2e6d05e1_zps301a37d0.jpg

I remember as a kid is was not unusual for the old timers to spray their entire guns with shelac.
Moslty for wall hangers.
I'm,doubtful it's bees wax. Only thing I can think of is if in later years for storage the Finns might have gave the rifles a quick spray of the rust preventative of the choice back then.
If it's bees wax if you take a hair dryer on low it should melt right off. About 150'f
Shellac can easily be removed also...
Just fair wArning sometimes you loose some of that good color in the process.

What is the correct finish on an M39 mosin stock? I havent handled a lot of these but I was under the impression they were all basically raw wood with and oil/wax finish.

I asked a similar question here, and was told "shellac tinted orange/red with the blood of a German"
[rofl]

I of course shared this with the german engineering manager in my office when I asked for a donation!

I asked a similar question here, and was told "shellac tinted orange/red with the blood of a German" [/COLOR][rofl]

I of course shared this with the german engineering manager in my office when I asked for a donation!

Well the m39 is a Finnish rifle and the Finn's sided with Germany in WW2 so........Not sure where you are going with this one.

See if denatured alcohol will dissolve the finish. If it does, wash the whole rifle down preferably after disassembly, the oil the stock or use 'Tom's 1/3 Pine Tar' wax.

no need for wax.....
I lik how it looks....... chootit

I agree. It's a mosin.......It's supposed to look gnarley. Lol

Look at these period examples.
FB_IMG_1491388071129.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

no need for wax.....
I lik how it looks....... chootit

I agree. It's a mosin.......It's supposed to look gnarley. Lol

Look at these period examples with some brave young Soviets.
FB_IMG_1491388071129.jpg

Back
Top Bottom