m1 carbine question

so i got a tip on an excellent condition general motors m1 carbine...pristine stock and almost perfect finish on the metal

seller is askin 1200 but i could get it for 800...are GM sought after or not?

Everything is going up today and this includes older military surplus firearms. The guy is asking that much because he will almost certainly get close to that from someone who really wants one of these. I can't tell you if GMs are sought after, but the guys on www.jouster.com carbine forum probably can. $800 is high, but if it is in excellent condition and is original it just might be worth it.

Check the barrel for an import stamp. I have heard that sometimes the stamp is so heavy that it might affect the barrel although that was not the case on my first carbine.

Good luck. They are nice rifles. And fun ti shoot.

If its in as nice condition as you say it is, I'd say $800 while being high dollar is actually a fair price these days. US rifles have skyrocketed in price over the years and they're not even rare. In fact M1s are plentiful at gun shows and usually every shop has at least 1.
As far as being sought after, the rarer modles like Underwood, Rockolla, Winchester, etc. are what collectors seek out. Heres some manufacturers:

Rock-Ola Music Corporation (ROCK-OLA)
Standard Products (STANDARD PRODUCTS)
International Business Machines (IBM)
Quality Hardware (QUALITY HARDWARE)
National Postal Meter (NATIONAL POSTER METER)
Saginaw (SAGINAW DIVISION,GENERAL MOTORS)S.G.
Saginaw (Grand Rapids) S'G'
Underwood-Elliot-Fisher (UNDERWOOD)
Winchester (WINCHESTER)
Inland (INLAND DIVISION, GENERAL MOTORS)

Heres a site with info on production numbers.
http://home.att.net/~ra-carbines/history.html

Last edited:
As I've mentioned on this forum before, anyone who is considering buying an M-1 carbine (especially if living in New England) owes it to themselves to call the local expert first - Mr. Charles Hadley of South Portland, ME.

Give him a call at 207-741-2655. But be prepared for a long conversation - he loves to talk carbines!

He can give you input on market prices, or sell you one if the price is right.

BTW - in the most recent issue of "Gun List" he has a Inland carbine (early features, non-import, 95%) for $900. He often has several listed in the 6200 section of the paper. I got mine from him at the Springfield show several years ago.

more Inland (GM) were made than any other brand.

They are actually the LEAST sought after because of that.

$800 sounds high to me unless it is in really excellent shape with all or most Inland parts (not a mix master).

Most carbines fall into the mixmaster mode as when they were repaired/refurbished by the govt, no one cared which brand of part went into which rifle.

Last edited:
USMA-82 said:
As I've mentioned on this forum before, anyone who is considering buying an M-1 carbine (especially if living in New England) owes it to themselves to call the local expert first - Mr. Charles Hadley of South Portland, ME.

Give him a call at 207-741-2655. But be prepared for a long conversation - he loves to talk carbines!

He can give you input on market prices, or sell you one if the price is right.

BTW - in the most recent issue of "Gun List" he has a Inland carbine (early features, non-import, 95%) for $900. He often has several listed in the 6200 section of the paper. I got mine from him at the Springfield show several years ago.

Is he the guy with racks of nothing but M1 Carbines, with price sheets that look like you'd find at an auction?

If so, I was curious about this guy when seeing him at a few gun shows.

That's the guy, Len. Tall, thin with white hair and moustache. He usually sets up a three-sided rack: on the right are mix-master imports, on the left are mix-master non-imports, and in the center are all-original, non-imports. He usually has a small collection of pistols on the table, too.

I've done alot of personal study on carbines - bought both "War Baby" books, joined the carbine club, etc. And this guy has FORGOTTEN more about carbines than I know......

Highly recommended.

I know that gentleman.......I remember when he used to sell PMC .30 carbine for $10 a box. Always has decent stuff and there's always a lot of people at his display. Had all I could do to pry my daughter away from there every time we went to a show.(almost as bad as trying to get her away from the beef jerky guy)

Import marked (meaning USGI that were loaned out to other countries) M1 Carbs can run $450-$500.
The non-import USGI can start around $800 if in top condition (any manufacturer).
Besides the bottom surface of the barrel near the muzzle, importers also stamped back near the receiver, just below the wood line.
Inspect for cracks in the stock beneath the recoil plate. If present, you'll need to factor in a replacment stock.

Mr. Charles Hadley of South Portland, ME.

I bought my Rock-Ola from him a few ago. He is a great guy. I bought it sight unseen. I called him on the phone (knowing who he was from shows) and asked about it. He described the gun and shipped it to me. When I opened the box, it was NOT the gun it was supposed to be. He was VERY embarrassed about it. I sent the gun back (he paid the shipping) and he sent me mine. During the interim, he found a better stock and changed it on mine without additional charge. I would not hesitate to buy from him again. I don't have a pic of it by itself, but here's one with some friends:

USmil.jpg

Back
Top Bottom