M1 Carbine Problem

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Putting this on the Mil Surp section because it concerns a Mil Surp rifle.

It's an Inland, serial number 244,xxx (maybe/probably 2,44x,xxx) with a flat bolt. It looks as if the op rod jumped off the bolt and the bolt is jammed about 1/2" back and rotated slightly. The op rod does move freely but will not go forward of the bolt.

I know it's not much to go on but any ideas about what has happened and how to fix it?

Thanks.

Could be from a worn tab on the operating slide allowing it to dismount. The tab should measure 0.90"-0.003" thick and 0.240"+/-0.002" in height.

You might be able to wrangle it back in place but, if not, disassemble the rifle.

Sounds familiar. You will have to dismount the action and wiggle the op-rod loose. Be sure the tab enters its slot on the receiver when reinstalling.

t

look at you locking lug the best as possible...they can start to crack and cause jams until it actually fails. the right side of the receiver lug area can also develop wear and begin to snag on the bolt body.

as far as the op rod their could be something jammed in the channel.

Last edited:
I'd just take the rifle apart. You should be able to move the bolt forward or back to either remove the op-rod or get it back in place. Either way you need to disassemble it to determine why it's jumping off. It can be the op-rod, the bolt and even receiver wear, where the op-rod slides into the receiver.

Thanks for all of your comments. We will be taking it apart soon to try to determine what happened.

The only thing that would worry me is the possibly of receiver wear. Everything else can be replaced.

Thanks for all of your comments. We will be taking it apart soon to try to determine what happened.

The only thing that would worry me is the possibly of receiver wear. Everything else can be replaced.

some pictures will help. its also possible something jammed up in the trigger housing and the bolt cant over ride the hammer.

Last edited:
some pictures will help. its also possible something jammed up in the trigger housing and the bolt cant over ride the hammer.

I agree about the pictures. If I can get access to it again I'll try to get some.

Back
Top Bottom