• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Carbine gunsmith in massachusetts

my dad has a few carbines from years ago, they where always problematic. feeding problems cycle issues loose recievers. I have not seen them in 15 years. They are at his buddies house. Dropped off years ago for him to tinker with. Im looking to see whats wrong and if at least 1 gun can be salvaged out of the 2. I believe these are post war models. I shot one of them as a kid and had to manually run the bolt. OK when you are 13 but would like to seee if they can be salvaged. My fathers memory seems to recall one had a cracked reciever or something was cracked.

Oooh cracked receiver wouldn't be good. From everything I've heard, the post-war models' quality was not on par with the wartime guns. If you get your hands on these guns and it looks like it may not even be worth spending money on a 'smith, I'd gladly take a look at them for you. I don't call myself a "guru" or anything of the sort, but I've fixed plenty of my own guns including my '45 Underwood M1 Carbine.

Most common problems with the carbine:

Feeding: Crappy aftermarket magazines of which there are plenty of out there.

Cycling: Loose or worn gas piston/nut.

Ejecting: Gunked-up extractor spring channel, extractor plunger not seated correctly at it's divot in the extractor, weak extractor spring.

I have the carbine bolt tool you can borrow if you like.

Back
Top Bottom